Wow better than Megson and Roeder !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the idea of a director of football, sporting director or whatever fecking else you want to call it.
I think it has been proved that clubs that have such positions never really get success ie:David Pleat at Spurs.
Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool don't have directors of football and probably never will.

Well unfortunately MM wants to install a DOF so if it came to choice imo we would be better off with Reid and Larry than Megson and Roeder.

I hate the idea of a director of football, sporting director or whatever fecking else you want to call it.
I think it has been proved that clubs that have such positions never really get success ie:David Pleat at Spurs.
Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool don't have directors of football and probably never will.

Chelsea have one, I think. Avram something?

I suspect that it suits Milan - it means one man does not have too much power.

Chelsea have one, I think. Avram something?

Avram Grant and Frank Arnesen - they co-ordinate scouting, admin, reserves and youth. The first team remains Mourinho's show.

Comelli at Spurs is another. David Dein made that role is own at Arsenal - working in between players and chairman.

It's a fad Mandaric picked up from abroad - as seen in the case of Barca, Real Madrid, AC Miland, Inter and Juve - the owners deliever players to the managers, it's up to him to work around it.

Beckerbauer and Karl-Heinz have a watchful eye at Bayern over players bought. Their main three signings of Klose, Ribery and Toni came through them.

A few clubs have these roles - Mandaric uses it for a front view check on the manager.

Now this for me could be a quality pairing a foxes oldboy and a Director of football who has had a vast amount of experience take a look you will be surprised......

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/coca_cola/article2906347.ece

If this is the path i for one would be well CHUFFED:icon_roll

justsayno.jpg

And Mourihno hates having them there by all accounts.

But they do the unpretty work. Mourinho has already established his position on the reserves, scouting and youth - he reckons the system of B and C teams work which would send our beautiful 92 club league crashing down IMO.

I think he disagrees with Grant's appointment because he's there to look after the first team and have a say in training etc. In general, the pair of them do Mourinho's untidy work. No need for him to pop down reserve games or youth team games - it's on video and a report is written. Chelsea's scouting network could include something like 100 scouts at all levels. Quite an operation from Sunday League Under-15 West London stuff to Brazilian Second Division.

Take the signing of Alex for example, it wasn't a tip off from Mourinho and his team but Arnesen who helped establish a link with PSV to take him on loan and wait for a work permit. 3 years later, he's a Chelsea player whose learned his trade at PSV and grown in stature establishing himself as a Brazilian international.

Sinclair from Brizzle Rvrs is another player they spotted.

Last edited:
It's a fad Mandaric picked up from abroad - as seen in the case of Barca, Real Madrid, AC Miland, Inter and Juve - the owners deliever players to the managers, it's up to him to work around it.

That is just so bloody crap. If the chairman, director, owner or cleaning lady buy the players, who the feck would want to be manger?

The players they buy could be crap, unmanageable, don't mix with the others, don't fit into any playing system that the manager designs. Then as a manager you are judged on their results and fired if it goes wrong whilst the chairman stays!!

The managers have to have a qualification do they not? An FA coaches badge or somethineg. What qualifications has MM got for handling players?

Seriously under those circumstances who the chuffing eck would be a manager?

That is just so bloody crap. If the chairman, director, owner or cleaning lady buy the players, who the feck would want to be manger?

The players they buy could be crap, unmanageable, don't mix with the others, don't fit into any playing system that the manager designs. Then as a manager you are judged on their results and fired if it goes wrong whilst the chairman stays!!

The managers have to have a qualification do they not? An FA coaches badge or somethineg. What qualifications has MM got for handling players?

Seriously under those circumstances who the chuffing eck would be a manager?

The thing is that them clubs buy them absolute quality. Even if the manager doesn't see them fit in or thinks they are much good, it's hard not to play them.

Henry's signing at Barca is evident of this situation - They have 3 incredible strikers with 2 as good youngsters yet the opportunity arose for Barca to get Henry. Henry whose IMO has had his best days past him and is now injured for x amount of time sold shirts as quick as they were being produced.

The signing of Hasselbaink and Fowler would be the same effect albeit on a smaller scale. Their ability is now questionable but shirt sales etc. would rocket. The feel good factor would rise and we have our own 'God'. It's no suprise that Cardiff said JFH and Fowler were in the squad last Saturday, they were never played or on the bench and they got the debuts with the comfortable opposition in the likes of Leyton Orient.

On Sunday night, Rijkaard had to make a decision. Henry was to come on. Who for? Messi. Simply because he knew upstairs wanted Eto'o and Ronaldinho kept in the limelight.

Real Madrid signed 5 players with no manager! And then signed a furthermore 4 with a new manager - despite positions clashing with those already bought.

Mandaric is a man whose previously owned foreign clubs....he's copied the effect. Anyone remember the signing of Pronescki? Now that was good.

Bayern Munich is another good example...Podolski and a young lad from Aachen whose name has I forgot were managerial signings. Then opportunity for Toni and Klose came along.

Last edited:
I agree with you Hazz about the rich clubs buying quality - something we can't do and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. But european clubs don't have managers - they are called 'coach' out there. They don't manage as such, they are given a team to coach.

What we are struggling with in the championship is where the manager's job ends and the coach's begins. Then you have the demarcation between being chairman and manager / coach. It should be set out in the contract right from the start so that both parties know and understand their position. It would seem that this wasn't done here.

But again what qualifications gives MM or any other chairman the right to pick players? Any manger has to pass their badge (or whatever it is.). The managers live or die on the results of the team they put out. Is it then fair on the manager to have to select a team they haven't bought? Unless a club has a real lot of money and I mean a lot, this system cannot work IMO!

I agree with you Hazz about the rich clubs buying quality - something we can't do and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. But european clubs don't have managers - they are called 'coach' out there. They don't manage as such, they are given a team to coach.

What we are struggling with in the championship is where the manager's job ends and the coach's begins. Then you have the demarcation between being chairman and manager / coach. It should be set out in the contract right from the start so that both parties know and understand their position. It would seem that this wasn't done here.

But again what qualifications gives MM or any other chairman the right to pick players? Any manger has to pass their badge (or whatever it is.). The managers live or die on the results of the team they put out. Is it then fair on the manager to have to select a team they haven't bought? Unless a club has a real lot of money and I mean a lot, this system cannot work IMO!

they manage believe me. The word head coach, manager etc all mean the same, they manage the clubs playing staff

The top coaching qualification, the UEFA Pro Licence, is all about working with players in a team i.e. coaching. It is not about managing, choosing players to buy or loan, dealing with agents, organising tours, away match travel, pre-season etc. That is what a DOF and/or interested Chairman might do.

If we end up with Smegson or Roder (who looks shockingly like the emperor geezer from Star Wars) I will be properly f*cked off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669