Pre Match Wycombe A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting next to Nwets can't have helped much either!

A 1-0 win against Yeovil thanks to the rarest of treasures; a sweetly struck Lloyd Dyer half volley.

A pleasant evening.

Last edited:
Personally, in a very long season and with a balanced squad, I wouldn't play anyone from Saturday in this game. Cardiff had the right approach last season, bombing out of the cups immediately with weakened teams so that they could concentrate on their league performances.

However, last season, in both cup competitions, we went out with partially weakened teams and it appeared to hurt morale and league results. I think this is key. Either change the whole side or change none. No half arsed three or four changes.

Having said all that, if I attempt to put out a defence without those that played on Saturday, we only have a left back. We do, however, have shit loads of piss poor attacking midfielders/forwards.

Therefore, by a process of elimination, we have to play the same side as Saturday, with the exception of Moore starting for Whitbread.

Personally, in a very long season and with a balanced squad, I wouldn't play anyone from Saturday in this game. Cardiff had the right approach last season, bombing out of the cups immediately with weakened teams so that they could concentrate on their league performances.

However, last season, in both cup competitions, we went out with partially weakened teams and it appeared to hurt morale and league results. I think this is key. Either change the whole side or change none. No half arsed three or four changes.

I agree with this part of your post BN, but I would go for wholesale changes. I realise many others think differently, but I couldn't care less about the cup. Were we a mid-table Premier League team, I would think differently, but we're not. Cardiff were the perfect example of prioritising last season.

Last edited:
I agree with this part of your post BN, but I would go for wholesale changes. I realise many others think differently, but I couldn't care less about the cup. Were we a mid-table Premier League team, I would think differently, but we're not. Cardiff were the perfect example of prioritising last season.

From a purely footballing point of view, I would agree with you: but, politics is involved. Regardless of my, frequently expressed, views upon Nigel Pearson, he does appear to be in a strange place: neither he, nor the board, seem convinced that his position is secure. Another bad night against lower league opposition would add considerable - and in this case - unfair criticism, were he to have played a weakened team. I expect few changes from Saturday.

...neither he [Nigel Pearson], nor the board, seem convinced that his position is secure

Can you point to a single iota of evidence which supports this view?

Can you point to a single iota of evidence which supports this view?

If you mean a situation when anyone connected to the club has said that his job is under threat, then: no. In an interview with the Beeb (not Stringer) after the Middlesbro' game, Pearson certainly did not ridicule the suggestion that he was on borrowed time - and, incidentally, I think that it is ludicrous, if there is any truth in the suggestion. Any change should have been made in the close season: our manager should be safe, until at least Christmas (probably as near to job security as modern football goes).

If you mean a situation when anyone connected to the club has said that his job is under threat, then: no. In an interview with the Beeb (not Stringer) after the Middlesbro' game, Pearson certainly did not ridicule the suggestion that he was on borrowed time - and, incidentally, I think that it is ludicrous, if there is any truth in the suggestion. Any change should have been made in the close season: our manager should be safe, until at least Christmas (probably as near to job security as modern football goes).

So that's a NO then?

From a purely footballing point of view, I would agree with you: but, politics is involved. Regardless of my, frequently expressed, views upon Nigel Pearson, he does appear to be in a strange place: neither he, nor the board, seem convinced that his position is secure. Another bad night against lower league opposition would add considerable - and in this case - unfair criticism, were he to have played a weakened team. I expect few changes from Saturday.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to happen. I'm just saying what I would like us to do. I'm with Rhydal on this one.

I think I might just go to this one as I can't get on Sunday.

Wanderers kicked off the season in style with victory over Morecambe on Saturday, and Ainsworth, who is expected to field a strong side against the Foxes, has stated that any of his side who are not at 100% fitness will not be involved.

“We have a monitoring system at training and the lads get questioned and looked at and we’ll test them to see where they are,” Blues’ boss told Chairboys Player.

“If people are a bit fatigued then they will have a rest. The league is very important to me, but the cup is as well.

“I want to win and I think we had Steven Craig, Jo Kuffour, Kortney Hause, Nick Arnold and Max Kretzschmar on the bench.

“These players know that I wouldn’t be afraid of using any of them, so if they need to play, they’ll play.

“Max got his debut at 19 years old when we were hanging on in the first game of the season and I think we’ve shown the trust that we’ll give our players.”

Writing in tonight’s edition of ‘Quarters, Ainsworth added: “Nigel Pearson has done a great job since returning to Leicester.

“The cup history between the two clubs is well documented, beating Leicester in the FA Cup back in 2001 to reach the semi-finals is one of Wanderers’ finest moments, and I know many of you were there to witness it.

“These are the type of days I want to bring back to Adams Park, these fairytale matches and results that make you all so proud of your club.”

Obviously doesn't read LCFC-related internet forums. I hope we lose so we can show him what kind of job Pea Son has really done here.

Hmm.. I don't care about the cup. But we saw last season how a poor performance in the cup can impact on league form...

I'd definately rest Nugent, he's arguably one of our most important players and not worth risking if he's already carrying a bit of a knock. We should have enough quality to beat Wycombe without him anyway. Might be a good game to bring Knockaert back in though if he's not been in the right frame of mind for the season opener at Middlesbrough..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566