Yet Another One Enters Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Stockport County this time.

Someone really needs to sort out this financial mess in English football

Im guessing the minus 10 will take effect next season as its gonna take a 13 goal switch in GD to send them down if it comes into play this

Last edited:
Stockport County this time.

Someone really needs to sort out this financial mess in English football

It's not just football that's in a financial mess at the moment.

If they get docked 10 points this season they won't go down (although it could be close depending on Saturday's results), so they will start next season on -10.

It's not just football that's in a financial mess at the moment.

True, but the obvious increasing trend clubs going into administration has been going on for a couple of years now, before the recession. Though the recession is obviously going to make it worse.

Surely football clubs are arguably the worst run busnesses.

In what other industry does a company pay astronomical wages to its staff, when the turnover does not justify it:102:

I think Stockport will be counting themselves lucky to have got to the end of the season without going under. Their last home game, against Crewe last Friday, was in jeopardy right up to the final moment for the simple reason that they could not afford for police to attend the game. They were finally bailed out by Sale RUFC who share their ground and agreed to pay the police bill for them.

If something doesn't change soon, we are bound to see the disappearance of a Stockport or even a bigger club than Stockport. It does seem ridiculous when there is so much money in the game as a whole. And by "something", I don't mean something like the ridiculous Premier 2 proposal that will take even more money away from the clubs that really need it.

In what other industry does a company pay astronomical wages to its staff, when the turnover does not justify it:102:

But it's not just an industry. It's a competition - and to compete, you've got to be competitive. If it were an industry, we would be left with perhaps 4 clubs - and what kind of a competition would it be now. The truth is that money has been the ruination of football.

Unless your idea of football is to sit at home and watch the top clubs on TV.

But it's not just an industry. It's a competition - and to compete, you've got to be competitive. If it were an industry, we would be left with perhaps 4 clubs - and what kind of a competition would it be now. The truth is that money has been the ruination of football.

Unless your idea of football is to sit at home and watch the top clubs on TV.

Thats not a reason for pressing a self destruct button in a football club though is it.
Most fans would rather have a struggling football team, than not one at all.

The only solution is to introduce a salary cap, where clubs are limited to a wage budget that is % of their annual turnover. It may also mean that players will be forced to command more responsible and financially viable wage demands.

The only solution is to introduce a salary cap, where clubs are limited to a wage budget that is % of their annual turnover. It may also mean that players will be forced to command more responsible and financially viable wage demands.

Agreed. Though idk if its ever going to get done, because the big clubs and armchair big 4 fans will start moaning and half the players will bugger off to another country, like whats happening in Rugby Union. But id be fine with that if it evened up the competition and cut back on clubs going bust, not like mostve these players wouldve come to England before 1992 anyways, look at the squads from back then, almost all English or Scottish players.

Last edited:
Agreed. Though idk if its ever going to get done, because the big clubs and armchair big 4 fans will start moaning and half the players will bugger off to another country, like whats happening in Rugby Union. But id be fine with that if it evened up the competition and cut back on clubs going bust, not like mostve these players wouldve come to England before 1992 anyways, look at the squads from back then, almost all English or Scottish players.

Too be honest even if it was introduced across the football league, it would have an impact and I also think it would start to rid the game of mediocre mercenaries. It would also encourage clubs to trim their squads and encourage the promotion of youngsters and development of academy players.

I think Stockport will be counting themselves lucky to have got to the end of the season without going under. Their last home game, against Crewe last Friday, was in jeopardy right up to the final moment for the simple reason that they could not afford for police to attend the game. They were finally bailed out by Sale RUFC who share their ground and agreed to pay the police bill for them.
I work with a Stockport fan and he said they were close to administration 5/6 months ago, he didn't think they would have lasted until now.

Burger King and KFC spring to mind.

Howcome they have been allowed to be get docked -10 now? I thought the deadline had passed.

Howcome they have been allowed to be get docked -10 now? I thought the deadline had passed.

Thats what i was wondering. But the FL deducts -17 for clubs in their 2nd season in administration, so i think they might actually be trying to punish Stockport even more unless they get a buyer in

Thats what i was wondering. But the FL deducts -17 for clubs in their 2nd season in administration, so i think they might actually be trying to punish Stockport even more unless they get a buyer in

Why was the Southampton situation different then? They would surely of wanted to be docked points this season but now they are going to start in league 1 on -10 when i'm sure they would rather of had the points deduction at the start of the season.

Why was the Southampton situation different then? They would surely of wanted to be docked points this season but now they are going to start in league 1 on -10 when i'm sure they would rather of had the points deduction at the start of the season.

:102: No idea mate, maybe it is the same, but you just get 10pts in both this and next after the deadline. And Simon Thomas and the other bird off SSN are just useless twats.

edit: Thats the gist i got from the BBC boards, btw.

Last edited:
:102: No idea mate, maybe it is the same, but you just get 10pts in both this and next after the deadline. And Simon Thomas and the other bird off SSN are just useless twats.

edit: Thats the gist i got from the BBC boards, btw.

Fair enough! I still don't get it but i don't think the FA do either that may be the problem.

Southampton were deducted points next season because of their position. Had they climbed out of the bottom 3 they would have got them this season, however as soon as their relegation was confirmed given them a 10 point deduction this season would have been no punishment as they were already down.

Stockports OS claims the matter of the points deduction is not all that clear. The BBC and alike are reporting it's this season, but I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Edit: The table on Stockports OS claims they are now 17th, however this is the same table that appears on nearly every League One's team website.

Where is Bob when you need him :icon_lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572