£2 charge applied to Away Ticket pre-orders

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an odious phrase. You may be seeking a matchday experience, I'm ****ing not.

I've no idea how you've managed to lump together every club in existence either. There are football clubs who offer value for money. There are football clubs who value their supporters and hold true to the values they were set up to uphold.

Your knowledge of corporate practise is obviously far greater than mine. Here's me thinking that in order to ensure repeat custom one has to provide a product people are happy with at a price they find fair. Stupid me.

You just don't get it do you! We should feel honoured that these great football clubs allow us humble folk to throw cash at them, to enter their hallowed stadia, to watch their godlike players, to be treated to an everchanging array of costly but still shoddy products knocked up in sweatshops

You just don't get it do you! We should feel honoured that these great football clubs allow us humble folk to throw cash at them, to enter their hallowed stadia, to watch their godlike players, to be treated to an everchanging array of costly but still shoddy products knocked up in sweatshops

But nobody is forcing us to hand over our money. Yes, the industry is massively over priced compared to how it used to be and yes it is getting further away from what most would class as value for money, but you can stop at any time. Until people do stop, nothing will change.

But nobody is forcing us to hand over our money. Yes, the industry is massively over priced compared to how it used to be and yes it is getting further away from what most would class as value for money, but you can stop at any time. Until people do stop, nothing will change.

And miss out on the opportunity to moan about a £2 rise....

Did I say they were? I'm commenting on the clubs attitude and lots do walk away but I can't see much changing until the inevitable slump in attendances bites hard

Did I say they were? I'm commenting on the clubs attitude and lots do walk away but I can't see much changing until the inevitable slump in attendances bites hard

Sorry, it's incredibly difficult to discern any meaning from the sarcasm you posted.

Your knowledge of corporate practise is obviously far greater than mine. Here's me thinking that in order to ensure repeat custom one has to provide a product people are happy with at a price they find fair. Stupid me.
Seeing as people are returning every year - isn't that just what the club is doing? You just have your opinion of what 'value for money' is, which ~20k every other Saturday don't agree with.

Football is completely different to most porducts and services though. With most there is an alternative to buy or use instead but people don't chop and change football clubs like they do shampoo or ips etc. I'm sure a decent %age of attendess would say that LCFC is not value for money at all but they still go and pay-up as it's not so clear cut as to go or not.

Re £2 - Clever move in a way but won't generate a great deal of additional revenue and ethics can be brought into question too which could easily outway the additional revenue brought in.

Football is completely different to most porducts and services though. With most there is an alternative to buy or use instead but people don't chop and change football clubs like they do shampoo or ips etc. I'm sure a decent %age of attendess would say that LCFC is not value for money at all but they still go and pay-up as it's not so clear cut as to go or not.

Re £2 - Clever move in a way but won't generate a great deal of additional revenue and ethics can be brought into question too which could easily outway the additional revenue brought in.

It is as clear cut. You really don't want to pay the money, don't go. I think I remember Cate saying she had been priced out of going and I'm sure that after a few weeks of finding other things to do, her life is no worse off.

I'm sure a decent %age of attendess would say that LCFC is not value for money at all but they still go and pay-up as it's not so clear cut as to go or not.
You're saying that there are people who don't think it's value for money and still continue to pay up? That sounds like an addiction and these people should seek treatment.

It is as clear cut. You really don't want to pay the money, don't go. I think I remember Cate saying she had been priced out of going and I'm sure that after a few weeks of finding other things to do, her life is no worse off.

For some people though it is almost an addiction, they have to go to every game even though the opportunity cost of the ticket would be far greater elsewhere, they still feel compelled to go as there isn't a viable alternative product or service. Obviously there is in the sense that there are 000s of football grounds nationwide but it is not the sport the fans get addicted too, but the club so there is no alternative for some.

I'm not saying eveyone is addicted, I've not had a ST for a good 6yrs now as I saw the light a long time ago, but for some, they are blinded by what must be love for a club and pay regardless.

You're saying that there are people who don't think it's value for money and still continue to pay up?

I think that describes are fair proportion of the 20k+ crowd that you mentioned earlier

That sounds like an addiction and these people should seek treatment.

If they did, the stadium would be empty

Seeing as people are returning every year - isn't that just what the club is doing? You just have your opinion of what 'value for money' is, which ~20k every other Saturday don't agree with.

I was one of those 20k people, I don't think it's value for money, which is why I wont be going as often this season, a few more may be joining me.

20K in the stadium does not make Leicester City a viable business, as shown by the terrible financial accounts, let's hope the owners are happy with less than 20k and bigger losses this season.

What an odious phrase. You may be seeking a matchday experience, I'm ****ing not.

Erm, well what are you paying the price of a ticket for then? A massage?

I've no idea how you've managed to lump together every club in existence either. There are football clubs who offer value for money. There are football clubs who value their supporters and hold true to the values they were set up to uphold.

Yes as does some companies offer better 'value for money' than others. Clearly, in your view, Leicester City Football Club do not offer value for money.

Yes, however there may be some people who are, in the same token, like yourself, not happy with the price. Well again, that's business.

In the end it is a question of value for money. For me the money makes me a supporter and that is worth it.

I accept that there are genuine supporters who do not attend games and only see the team when they are on TV but I cannot be one of them.

In the 1968-69 season I switched from Worcester City to Leicester City who immediately responded by losing a cup final and getting relegated. I switched because having got a job in Leicester I knew I would not be able to see many Worcester games. The idea of living in a city and not supporting its football team did not occur to me.

I do enjoy "the matchday experience." I enjoy the atmosphere - I am pleased to see the same friendly faces and I think they are pleased to see me. I know nothing about their interests away from football but for that afternoon we are all on the same side.

I enjoy the uncertainty. If I go to the theatre I know Romeo will die; if I go to the cinema I know Bond will triumph. In football I have no idea what will happen. There are people who come on this forum and know the result and who will score; they are wiser than me.

For ninety minutes the only thing that will matter is the struggle. Outside football I try to balance all points of view; during the match I am totally biased. It is the only occasion that I am known to swear; though hopefully the departure of Mills will make that happen less. At the end I will walk out obsessing over incidents in the match.

On Monday friends who if they like sport at all usually prefer rugby will identify me with the team. "I see you won on Saturday" as though I had played. I must admit to congratulating an elderly Parisian lady when France won the World Cup even though I doubt if she had any interest in sport. Football is personal in a way that going to the theatre or a concert are not.

Football has been a common bond when talking to people in Italy, Germany, France and Spain. I cannot swear to the truth of this but I am told that when Berlin became divided some Hertha Berlin fans in East Berlin would stand near the wall just to hear the noise from the stadium. It is more than just a business.

There is no memorial garden at W H Smiths, customers do not walk the streets with a McDonalds uniform and nobody asks to have their ashes scattered at Tesco.

In the end it is a question of value for money. For me the money makes me a supporter and that is worth it.

I accept that there are genuine supporters who do not attend games and only see the team when they are on TV but I cannot be one of them.

In the 1968-69 season I switched from Worcester City to Leicester City who immediately responded by losing a cup final and getting relegated. I switched because having got a job in Leicester I knew I would not be able to see many Worcester games. The idea of living in a city and not supporting its football team did not occur to me.

I do enjoy "the matchday experience." I enjoy the atmosphere - I am pleased to see the same friendly faces and I think they are pleased to see me. I know nothing about their interests away from football but for that afternoon we are all on the same side.

I enjoy the uncertainty. If I go to the theatre I know Romeo will die; if I go to the cinema I know Bond will triumph. In football I have no idea what will happen. There are people who come on this forum and know the result and who will score; they are wiser than me.

For ninety minutes the only thing that will matter is the struggle. Outside football I try to balance all points of view; during the match I am totally biased. It is the only occasion that I am known to swear; though hopefully the departure of Mills will make that happen less. At the end I will walk out obsessing over incidents in the match.

On Monday friends who if they like sport at all usually prefer rugby will identify me with the team. "I see you won on Saturday" as though I had played. I must admit to congratulating an elderly Parisian lady when France won the World Cup even though I doubt if she had any interest in sport. Football is personal in a way that going to the theatre or a concert are not.

Football has been a common bond when talking to people in Italy, Germany, France and Spain. I cannot swear to the truth of this but I am told that when Berlin became divided some Hertha Berlin fans in East Berlin would stand near the wall just to hear the noise from the stadium. It is more than just a business.

There is no memorial garden at W H Smiths, customers do not walk the streets with a McDonalds uniform and nobody asks to have their ashes scattered at Tesco.

Very poignant and all that, but it doesn't change the fact that football is a business and as a result wants to make as much money as possible. If it can make an extra £2 per away ticket, then it will. For all the reasons you listed, people will continue to pay the money. It doesn't make it right or just or any less of a rip-off, but it also doesn't make it any different to when a restaurant ups its prices or Tesco raises the cost of beans. If you don't want to pay Tesco prices, you don't shop there. You do have that choice with the football, all the stuff about it being a religion/obsession/lifestyle etc is just an excuse to continue paying for something that deep down you resent paying for IMO.

Mawsley said it doesn't represent value for money; for him it obviously doesn't, which is correct. For me it does, which is also correct. I can't stand Frankie Boyle and I don't think he is funny. I am correct. Other people do think he is funny, they are also correct. I would consider paying £1 to watch a cricket match very bad value for money, same as for a darts or snooker match. It doesn't mean that it is bad value for money for someone else though.

Doesn't the fact that most of these businesses are running at a loss year in, year out, despite constantly trying to squeeze more money out of the fans, concern some of you?

Especially considering the frivolous wages players receive, the exorbitant transfer fees, and unnecessarily high agents costs?

Shouldn't prudent businesses be reviewing their expenditure as much as looking to increase their charges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566