8 doesn't go into 7 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not taking as a personal vendetta, it just seems wrong to me because of the reasons I have specified.

At the end of the day Harry will decide and I will go along with his decision. It will be interesting to see who opts to go in goal though if my dad lets in a few.

My questions were valid though, how long does a person have to be playing under par to be dropped?

Don't forget you will be coming into a team that has been playing together for a long time, so we know where each other is and needs to be, it would be unfair to expect you to drop straight in and play within the system consistently. It would be equally unfair to expect someone to sit on the sidelines for 4 or 5 weeks waiting for you to do so, and it would be the same if anyone came back from a long term absence.

Either way, with the form people are in at the minute it would be harsh to drop anyone.

If we choose to go this route then of course I will still play, but I am concerned that it will end up pissing off a lot of players, and we will end up with a team much smaller than we have currently.

Also logistics come into it, are we going to start picking based on the opposition? If we play City or AC dead people will we drop an attacking player who is in form for a more defensive player to counter the opposition's strength? If this is the case we don't get a call to know when a game is confirmed until Tuesday earliest, if I or anyone is going to be dropped that suddenly throws their Thursday night plans out.

These aren't meant to be arsey questions btw, I think they are all valid and would be interested to hear your and Harrys opinions on them.
I've played at goals with you lot long enough to be able to get into things Matt. That doesn't phase me in the slightest. I just don't see why i shouldn't be given as equal a chance to play as anybody else. I don't really understand your point about a long term absence and it being unfair to wait to get back in the team, as surely thats what i'm doing right now? I played well enough to get picked the other week but didn't for stupid reasons hence why i've raised the issue.

I don't really understand why you so concerned about it pissing people off. If theres 8 of us who want to play then someone's going to have to miss out, and if thats based on form then i'll have no complaints-i didn't complain to harry the first week i was dropped out again because i wasn't up to standard and if it happens again i'll accept it.

In relation to how form will be judged team rotation etc thats Harry's area.

If there are now 8 of you, permanently, then the 'normal' rules should apply. If you miss a week, you wait until someone else drops out to let you in. Whether someone has been playing for a year or a month, each permanent player should be equal.

I call them normal because that is what happens in every other team that I have played for.

Not that it's any of my business...

Last edited:
........... If you miss a week, you wait until someone else drops out to let you in. Whether someone has been playing for a year or a month, each permanent player should be equal...................

Exactly how it should be done IMO.

If there are now 8 of you, permanently, then the 'normal' rules should apply. If you miss a week, you wait until someone else drops out to let you in. Whether someone has been playing for a year or a month, each permanent player should be equal.

I call them normal because that is what happens in every other team that I have played for.

Not that it's any of my business...

Which is how it has always been in the past.

I apologise if I appear to have over reacted to all this.

I honestly thought when Ben came back for a game the other week that it was just a one off (thought, not expected). I appear to have been wrong on that and apologise.

If that is so then yes I can understand why he moaned, I'm not sure of an ideal solution for a group of people who only want to have a laugh and play football, but I don't think form rotation is it.

In the past I have always pushed for 8 players in these situations, although it hasn't always worked. I still wonder if that is down to how we work the subs more than purely the fact we have 8, but it does also mean less pitch time all round.

My concern with it all is what happens if Chris comes back and wants to play, or Spanks? Harbro has also expressed an interest. At what point do we draw the line?

Last edited:
...which is the very reason Ben had a moan at me.

Its the only "fair" way to do it though. You won't please everybody all of the time.

Its the only "fair" way to do it though. You won't please everybody all of the time.

The problem was I think that Ben had come back in and played a game, but the next week Paul (I think, tho it might have been George) was back from injury/holiday so Ben was dropped for them.

It's hard because I think someone who has been here all this time and needs to miss a game for a week has to then wait ages to get back in, because of someone who has just come back from 18months or so away. Maybe it's a timing thing, if Ben had been waiting around for weeks before the week came up then it might feel different.

I was willing to wait around to get my chance, its not my fault it came round sooner rather then later. i got dropped even though i played well that week and i felt it was unfair, hence why i said to Harry now that we have 8 and we can't all play the only fair way is some kind of form rotation thing. I've played twice since being back and the first time i was dropped out i didn't moan, so i don't think moaning this time round is that unjustified.

If people were being chosen on form, and the form was based on 3/4 performances then it wouldn't be such a problem.

If people were being chosen on form, and the form was based on 3/4 performances then it wouldn't be such a problem.

Form, like man of the match (hey becks?!?!) is a subjective thing though beights and what one persons opinion is will not be anothers and that can make it worse.

Form, like man of the match (hey becks?!?!) is a subjective thing though beights and what one persons opinion is will not be anothers and that can make it worse.

Again, one of my problems with it. Playing most of the time at the back I score a lot less than others, as does Harry, but we still play a big part. I worry how form will be judged in those instances. Also, players like Jon and Jacob sometimes seem to be in a slump in a game and are frustrating, but then out of nothing they can both grab 3/4 goals in 10 minutes.

Again, one of my problems with it. Playing most of the time at the back I score a lot less than others, as does Harry, but we still play a big part. I worry how form will be judged in those instances. Also, players like Jon and Jacob sometimes seem to be in a slump in a game and are frustrating, but then out of nothing they can both grab 3/4 goals in 10 minutes.

hence why you can't pick it on "form".

I would personally do it game by game that way everyone will still get to play fairly regularly. Obviously if everyone plays well enough and the team win fairly comfortably then no-one should be dropped.I feel its fairly easy to judge whether someone's had a stinker or not. But it wouldn't be my decision, so you'd have to ask Harry. I also forgot to add i don't think unless anyone is willing to play in goal, your dad should be exempt.

Last edited:
I would personally do it game by game that way everyone will still get to play fairly regularly. Obviously if everyone plays well enough and the team win fairly comfortably then no-one should be dropped.I feel its fairly easy to judge whether someone's had a stinker or not. But it wouldn't be my decision, so you'd have to ask Harry. I also forgot to add i don't think unless anyone is willing to play in goal, your dad should be exempt.

Don't think or do think?

I think if no-one else is willing to play in goal, that your dad can't be dropped. If someone is then its only fair, but as far as i know, no-one is.

But if the team lose its very very rarely just one persons fault so how is harry expected to select one player to drop to accommodate one other. Its untenable.

I think if no-one else is willing to play in goal, that your dad can't be dropped. If someone is then its only fair, but as far as i know, no-one is.

OK, I agree. However being willing to play in goal isn't the best, they need to be OK! For instance I would fill in, but am awful in goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566