another train fare question for the experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
What options are available for Leicester to any of the 3 Palace stations?

Nottingham Fox already gave advice on this in his OP in the Crystal Palace(Go Away) thread. That information is still current, although the availability of £13 single tickets between Leicester and Lomdon and vv is now more limited.

The best trains for the £13 tickets are the 09:35 from Leicester and the 18:55 return from St Pancras. If you want to travel at these prices though, you should book as soon as possible - the numbers are strictly limited. There are also £13 tickets left on the 17:55 return service but that could be pushing it a bit.

The £4 ticket from Kings Cross Thameslink to Norwood Junction is a Cheap Day Return. It is only valid in Zones 1-4. It must not be used to catch the faster service to East Croydon (Zone 6) and then to return to Norwood Junction. If you get caught doing this, you will be liable for a £20 penalty fare or to be reported for prosecution.

The correct route on the £4 CDR is to take a First Capital Connect train from Kings Cross Thameslink to London Bridge. Change there onto a Southern or SouthEastern service to Norwood Junction. You could alternatively take a First Capital Connect service to Tulse Hill and change there for a Southern service to Norwood Junction. By the time of your return journey the service pattern will have changed slightly - on the return journey, change at London Bridge - the trains from there to Kings Cross Thameslink leave from Platform 6.

fludie

Peanut Thief
Hope one of the experts can help, i need to book a train from Leamington Spa to Cambridge for monday nights game, i would like to be going at around 10am and leaving the next day at 10am also, i have had a look but they are pretty expensive, also i can get a childs:)

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Hope one of the experts can help, i need to book a train from Leamington Spa to Cambridge for monday nights game, i would like to be going at around 10am and leaving the next day at 10am also, i have had a look but they are pretty expensive, also i can get a childs:)

Whether you can get a child's ticket or not should be ofno concern to the rest of us, who wouldn't dream of committing fraud in the way that you seem to suggest - it can be a risky and costly business!

I can't find any cheap advance purchase singles for your journey at or around your suggested departure time. If they had been available, the cheapest of them would have been £13.50 (adult fare).

You are probably going to be faced with buying a Saver Return for your journey. The cost of this is £51.60, or £41.20 if you avoid London. It is a walk-up fare - no need to book in advance.

If you want to travel at the cheapest prices, you need to book a lot earlier than six days in advance. But then you will always run the risks of games being postponed, cancelled or re-arranged - grrrrr!

fludie

Peanut Thief
Thanks Boc did take a look but thought it was too much, so got a childs one, cost me £19.50 return.

Not bad eh:)

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Thanks Boc did take a look but thought it was too much, so got a childs one, cost me £19.50 return.

Not bad eh:)

On the contrary, it's very bad - you are too old to travel on a child's ticket.

stevewalshwasgod

my brother said that 16 yos have to pay full fare, what even if they are still in full time education? I supposed they could get a young persons rail card

stevewalshwasgod

http://www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk/Using your Card
You can get a Young Persons Railcard if you're aged between 16-25, or a mature student, over the age of 26 and in full-time education.

If you're aged 26 or over, you'll need to provide proof that you're a full-time student at a recognised school or college. This has to be over 15 hours a week and for at least 20 weeks a year. You can either show an ISIC card or have the 'Mature students only' section of the application form completed and certified by your institution.

Do it while you can.
There are plenty of ways you can use your Railcard, for both long and short trips. Better still you can use it anytime on weekends, Public Holidays and during the week. The only restriction is that if you travel at or before 10am Monday to Friday (except during July and August) a minimum fare will apply. For more details see minimum fares.

Your Young Persons Railcard will save you 1/3 on loads of tickets.

Last edited:

highland fox

On the contrary, it's very bad - you are too old to travel on a child's ticket.

He passes for a 4 year old though because he hasn't yet fathomed out how to do his trousers up properley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669