another train fare question for the experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazzer

leicester-bristol one way whats the best ticket?
bristol -carlisle -one way same again ? :102:

lazzer

14/09/07 after 5.00pm leicester -bristol
16/09/07 anytime am bristol- carlisle

Tamworth Fox

Q. Walsall - Nottingham (30th July need to get to Nottingham for the 9.04)
Nottingham- Walsall (30th July, get a 12ish train on the way back)
Cheapest return i found was about £20ish anyone see a cheaper alternative :102:

Thanks

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
14/09/07 after 5.00pm leicester -bristol
16/09/07 anytime am bristol- carlisle

For the journey to Bristol, the cheapest way to get there looks like being a cheap day single to Birmingham, for £7.80, and then an advance purchase single to Bristol, for £9. The £9 fares are currently available on the 18:40, 19:10, 19:40, 20:10, 21:10 and 22:10 trains.
Leicester - Bristol: £16.80

For the Bristol - Carlisle bit, I can't find any cheap advance fares that go the obvious route, via Birmingham (the cheapest fare going that way would be less than £20, but they've either all sold out, they've not released the tickets yet, or due to engineering work there are no cheap tickets).

But if you ask for tickets from Bristol to Carlisle via London, you can do the journey for £47.50.
You could also save a bit more by splitting tickets, £10 tickets are available to London, and London to Carlisle tickets are available for £31.50 and £34.50. But I wouldn't recommend that, by the time you've paid to get from Paddington to Kings Cross or Euston you've not made much of a saving, and it's better to have the whole journey on one ticket in case you miss a connection.

London to Carlisle is usually quicker via the West Coast route (and normally that's the only route with direct trains), but presumably because of engineering work that weekend the trains up the West Coast line are taking a couple of hours longer than usual, and trains via East Coast line from Kings Cross are going to Carlisle, which makes it a quicker option on the day.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Q. Walsall - Nottingham (30th July need to get to Nottingham for the 9.04)
Nottingham- Walsall (30th July, get a 12ish train on the way back)
Cheapest return i found was about £20ish anyone see a cheaper alternative :102:

Thanks

The open fare is £21.50

You may be able to save a few quid by splitting the journey..

For example:
Walsall - Derby, £13 return
Derby - Nottingham £5.20

Doing this is valid as long as the trains you use stop at the station where you change tickets.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
For the journey to Bristol, the cheapest way to get there looks like being a cheap day single to Birmingham, for £7.80, and then an advance purchase single to Bristol, for £9. The £9 fares are currently available on the 18:40, 19:10, 19:40, 20:10, 21:10 and 22:10 trains.
Leicester - Bristol: £16.80

Virgin Value Advance fares are also available for the throughout journey from Leicester to Bristol at £10, £14.50 and £17 - although it may be difficult to find them in practice.

For your date, the £10 fare is still available on the 17:09 from Leicester (arrives Bristol at 20:14), the 18:23 (arrives 21:14), the 18:52 (arrives 21:41), the 19:42 (arrives 22:44), and the 20:52 (arrives 23:41) - all with a change at New Street.

For the Bristol - Carlisle bit, I can't find any cheap advance fares that go the obvious route, via Birmingham (the cheapest fare going that way would be less than £20, but they've either all sold out, they've not released the tickets yet, or due to engineering work there are no cheap tickets).

But if you ask for tickets from Bristol to Carlisle via London, you can do the journey for £47.50.
You could also save a bit more by splitting tickets, £10 tickets are available to London, and London to Carlisle tickets are available for £31.50 and £34.50. But I wouldn't recommend that, by the time you've paid to get from Paddington to Kings Cross or Euston you've not made much of a saving, and it's better to have the whole journey on one ticket in case you miss a connection.

London to Carlisle is usually quicker via the West Coast route (and normally that's the only route with direct trains), but presumably because of engineering work that weekend the trains up the West Coast line are taking a couple of hours longer than usual, and trains via East Coast line from Kings Cross are going to Carlisle, which makes it a quicker option on the day.

I've found a £15 Advance Single for that journey:

Depart: 11:29 Bristol Temple Meads
Arrive: 13:35 Birmingham New Street

change trains

Depart: 14:03 Birmingham New Street
Arrive: 18:03 Carlisle

I presume that one isn't showing up on the journey planning websites because there are direct trains from Bristol to Carlisle at about the same time. Even I could cope with 28 minutes in Brum if it meant I could travel from one end of the country to the other for fifteen quid.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
The open fare is £21.50

You may be able to save a few quid by splitting the journey..

For example:
Walsall - Derby, £13 return
Derby - Nottingham £5.20

Splitting the journey at Tamworth takes another 30p off - bringing the fare down to £17.90. And it does look as though all the New Street to Nottingham trains do stop at Tamworth, so this would be OK.

This does not mean that you have to get off at Tamworth (or Derby in Jeff's example). If you ask him to, the ticket clerk at Walsall must sell you both tickets.

Or you could buy them on line from the link that you get every time you mention the train on this forum - make Jeff happy - you know it makes sense!

Last edited:

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Virgin Value Advance fares are also available for the throughout journey from Leicester to Bristol at £10, £14.50 and £17 - although it may be difficult to find them in practice.

I couldn't find any at suitable times when I checked.

I presume that one isn't showing up on the journey planning websites because there are direct trains from Bristol to Carlisle at about the same time.

I'm sure when I checked it showed me trains with a change at Brum, but no cheap tickets. I also used the new thing on the NR site to check for cheap tickets and it didn't show any. It does seem to sometimes be pot luck though, with cheap tickets seeming to appear and disappear at random.

PFKAKTF FOX

leicester-bristol one way whats the best ticket?
bristol -carlisle -one way same again ? :102:

What the **** are you doing coming oop north, hope your passport is up to date :102:

And look what you have started now :icon_roll

Tamworth Fox

Tamworth to Crystal Palace 18th August. Please help me, im useless. Cheapest one i found is £41.40, are their any cheaper then that :102:

Thanks

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Tamworth to Crystal Palace 18th August. Please help me, im useless. Cheapest one i found is £41.40, are their any cheaper then that :102:

Thanks

For a start, if you're going to the game you don't want Crystal Palace - it's miles away. Choose between Norwood Junction, Selhurst and Thornton Heath.

If you were to book now, you could get an Advance Single to Euston for £14 and one for the journey back for £10.

Five minute walk from there to Kings Cross ThamesLink. Catch a First Capital Connect train from there to Norwood Junction for £4 Cheap Day Return.

Total = £32.00

Steven

For a start, if you're going to the game you don't want Crystal Palace - it's miles away. Choose between Norwood Junction, Selhurst and Thornton Heath.

If you were to book now, you could get an Advance Single to Euston for £14 and one for the journey back for £10.

Five minute walk from there to Kings Cross ThamesLink. Catch a First Capital Connect train from there to Norwood Junction for £4 Cheap Day Return.

Total = £32.00

£32.00 --> £28.00 ?? :102:

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

Tamworth Fox

Get a train to Leicester and Fox Travel it with me. ;)

Good idea! I'll ring my mate in the ticket office and get Jessel the seat next to Bernie.

:081:. I was debating getting the Fox Travel but it would ruin my weekend; having to stay at my brothers house on Friday night then get up and go to the walkers. Its at least a 3 hour journey then come back home on Sunday because I would probably be back too late for the last train back from Leicester. Alternatively I could get a train from Tamworth and it only takes 2 and 1/2 hours which is quite good and I can go out Friday & Saturday night you know it makes sense :biggrin:

Thanks for that Boc, ill book my train ticket now.

Hazzman

Total = £32.00

What options are available for Leicester to any of the 3 Palace stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669