Ashes - 1st test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy, Monty, Collingwood and Swann were immense and Freddie also played an important innings. The top order were a shambles and as delighted as I am with the draw nothing should detract from the cock-up this test was for England. Definite feeling of complacency in the first innings and they were just cruising in the field, as if it didn't really matter what score the Aussies piled on we would get a draw. The Aussies were more focus for revenge for 2005 than England were for avenging 2007.

Still, brilliant to do to the Aussies what they did to us in Old Trafford 05, and the W.Indies did to us twice in the winter. And we take momentum to Lords - and might drop one of the heroes!

Takes me back to something I read about the difference between Glenn McGrath and Darren Gough's batting. McGrath being an Aussie worked on his batting so much that he pushed his average up from about 2 at the start of his career and was able to hold up an end to let Gilchrist, for example, pile on runs. Dazza on the other hand turned from a potential all-rounder to a bit of a joke with the bat. Anderson seems to have worked really hard on his bat and today proved the worth of it.

Finally, that is the 5th home Ashes test in a row with a climactic final day ending!

The poor performance of England's senior batters is, I'm afraid, partly the legacy of the underlying weaknesses in English cricket which both the ECB and the PCA have brought on with their single minded pursuits of money to the detriment of the game.

There is far too much joke cricket leading to poor batting habits with much more T20 to come in the future and even less County Championship games promised. Also, the County Championship - the tier immediately below test cricket - has been significantly downgraded with the withdrawal from most of the matches of the better players who are on central contracts.

I count myself fortunate that I started watching county cricket in an era when the best players almost always took part in Championship games when they weren't actually playing Test cricket and when the counties played their strongest teams against touring sides.

The only thing that has improved - and very markedly so - is the fielding which is now in an entirely different class.

Great tense finish to the game. Must have felt like a defeat to Ponting at the end.
After getting out of jail though, England must really have a good think about what they are doing for the Lords test.
Whilst Englands bowlers were hopelessly ineffective against the Aussie batsman, they should learn from what the Aussies did. They guarded their wicket as if their life depended on it, and thus England were hardly able to manufacture any chances. On the other hand Englands poor shot selection seemed to keep the Aussies interested all the while.

Ratings.

Strauss......4.......not a good test imo for Strauss.Ponting lead from the front, whilst Strauss often made baffling decisions regarding his bowlers

Cook.......3.......poor game, but will stay in the side because of his previous record

Bopara......4......Had a bad decision in the 2nd innings. Could be one of those players that will melt under the relentless pressure the Aussies will put him under. Hard trying to establish himself against tough opposition.

Pietersen......5.....reasonable knock in the 1st innings, but two terrible mistakes for his dismissals.

Collingwood.....8.....fantastic gritty effort today. The mental toughness that is required against the Aussies.

Prior..........6........good 1st innings from Prior, and a steady game with the gloves. Another one guilty of a daft shot in the 2nd innings.

Flintoff.......6.......some promosing signs that Freddie is in decent touch. The other bowlers need to step up though, so he is not over used with the bowling.

Swann........6.......useful contributions in both innings with the bat, but disappointing with the ball. Expect him to keep his place at the expense of Monty for Lords.

Broad.........4.......seemed to be too eager with the ball, and didnt relax enough to bowl well. Must improve at Lords, but still a vital part of the team.

Anderson.......5......a hero with the bat, but didnt get the ball to swing and looked ineffective against solid Aussie batting

Panesar........4........the other unlikely hero at the end with the bat. That said, his bowling will cost him his place. Monty really needs to learn more variations with his spin bowling. Too easy for top class batsman to pick him off.

The poor performance of England's senior batters is, I'm afraid, partly the legacy of the underlying weaknesses in English cricket which both the ECB and the PCA have brought on with their single minded pursuits of money to the detriment of the game.

There is far too much joke cricket leading to poor batting habits with much more T20 to come in the future and even less County Championship games promised. Also, the County Championship - the tier immediately below test cricket - has been significantly downgraded with the withdrawal from most of the matches of the better players who are on central contracts.

I count myself fortunate that I started watching county cricket in an era when the best players almost always took part in Championship games when they weren't actually playing Test cricket and when the counties played their strongest teams against touring sides.

The only thing that has improved - and very markedly so - is the fielding which is now in an entirely different class.

What counts against this argument however is that English test players have played fewer Twenty20 matches than most other leading international countries, and the vast amount of limited over cricket, IPL and relatively minor first-class tournaments in India doesn't stop their batsman scoring massive tons.

What holds them back is how little first-class cricket they play in preparation for the tests, not how much one-day cricket the test players actually play for their counties.

Last edited:
Could be just what was needed to kick start this team. Weirdly England go in to Thursdays 2nd test with the momentum.

Bet you never doubted England would save it...
Actually I had been banking on worse weather....:icon_wink

still, it was ours to lose and we didn't

Great tense finish to the game. Must have felt like a defeat to Ponting at the end.
After getting out of jail though, England must really have a good think about what they are doing for the Lords test.
Whilst Englands bowlers were hopelessly ineffective against the Aussie batsman, they should learn from what the Aussies did. They guarded their wicket as if their life depended on it, and thus England were hardly able to manufacture any chances. On the other hand Englands poor shot selection seemed to keep the Aussies interested all the while.

That was the difference between the two teams, England gave away nearly all of their wickets by playing reckless shots. The pitch offered nothing for the bowlers and the Aussies showed that if you kept your patience it was very difficult to get a wicket.

What counts against this argument however is that English test players have played fewer Twenty20 matches than most other leading international countries, and the vast amount of limited over cricket, IPL and relatively minor first-class tournaments in India doesn't stop their batsman scoring massive tons.

What holds them back is how little first-class cricket they play in preparation for the tests, not how much one-day cricket the test players actually play for their counties.

My point is really about the decline of the quality county cricket and how this is impacting on the next level.

As to India - they certainly have plenty of massive scores - but mainly in India. This is largely due to the fact that they produce test cricket killing wickets big time.

Regretably, we would go down the same line if we kept producing test wickets like Cardiff. Cardiff may now have a well appointed ground, good PR, access to money through the Welsh Assembly to induce the money grabbing ECB.....but omitted to take account that the most important thing is to be able to produce a decent track.

Changes needed for the next test, Onions for Panesar, Bell in for Bopara?

Disagree with Bell. What has he done to warrant going straight back in?
At least you didn't call for Harmison!!!!

1 person I thought might come to the fore was Stuart Broad, but he showed he's still got a lot to learn.

Disagree with Bell. What has he done to warrant going straight back in?
At least you didn't call for Harmison!!!!

1 person I thought might come to the fore was Stuart Broad, but he showed he's still got a lot to learn.

They won't change the batsman at all for the first 3 tests. If the top order has failed ie Cook and Bopara in the next two then they will come under serious threat. Bell will automatically be talked about and more than likely the other will be Stephen Moore. However for me Bell would get the nod just cus they may not want to throw Moore in at the deep end. Not sure who i'd personally pick.

I like Bell but i think a spell out might do him some good bu as i've said above he is more experianced. I'm probably 50/50 on who i'd pick if cook and Bopara fail for 3 tests on the trot

Bowling wise, as much as i hate to say it, i can see harmison returning. I'm not a fan of his one bit but he's played himself into form and i can see him getting the nod. Panesar will go because they won't play 2 spinners.

If they change a seamer it will be Broad imo. Dont think it will happen but you never know. Anderson is safe for me. Freddie aside he looked more "threatening" than any of the others. So the other seamer would be Onions.

They won't change the batsman at all for the first 3 tests. If the top order has failed ie Cook and Bopara in the next two then they will come under serious threat. Bell will automatically be talked about and more than likely the other will be Stephen Moore. However for me Bell would get the nod just cus they may not want to throw Moore in at the deep end. Not sure who i'd personally pick.

I like Bell but i think a spell out might do him some good bu as i've said above he is more experianced. I'm probably 50/50 on who i'd pick if cook and Bopara fail for 3 tests on the trot

Bowling wise, as much as i hate to say it, i can see harmison returning. I'm not a fan of his one bit but he's played himself into form and i can see him getting the nod. Panesar will go because they won't play 2 spinners.

If they change a seamer it will be Broad imo. Dont think it will happen but you never know. Anderson is safe for me. Freddie aside he looked more "threatening" than any of the others. So the other seamer would be Onions.

I agree with the drift of all that. I don't think they will seriously consider changing the batting at this stage - but Bell will retain his place in the 13 for cover purposes.

As to the bowling, I agree that Panesar has to go - he's lost his confidence and is now firmly no2 to Swann irrespective of Cardiff. However on seamers, I think the correct decision for Lords would be to play Harmison - but I think that they are too conservative to do that and will feel that they ought to pick Onions. If they were more adventurous then they would probably drop Broad who i think is still short of being a bowler for an Ashes series and play both Harmison and Onions. I saw Sidebottam bowl recently and thought he was impressive, bit presumably they are not convinced he is test match fit at this stage.

I agree with the drift of all that. I don't think they will seriously consider changing the batting at this stage - but Bell will retain his place in the 13 for cover purposes.

As to the bowling, I agree that Panesar has to go - he's lost his confidence and is now firmly no2 to Swann irrespective of Cardiff. However on seamers, I think the correct decision for Lords would be to play Harmison - but I think that they are too conservative to do that and will feel that they ought to pick Onions. If they were more adventurous then they would probably drop Broad who i think is still short of being a bowler for an Ashes series and play both Harmison and Onions. I saw Sidebottam bowl recently and thought he was impressive, bit presumably they are not convinced he is test match fit at this stage.

Harmison has the potential to be very dangerous, but unfortunately he is just too inconsistent and has failed to produce on the international stage for far too long. Unless the pitch at Lords is going to offer some bounce which would suit Harmy then I cant see him getting into the side.

All the English bowlers struggled at Cardiff but apart from dropping Monty for Onions I feel they deserve a chance on a wicket that will offer a bit more.

Last edited:
Harmison has the potential to be very dangerous, but unfortunately he is just too inconsistent and has failed to produce on the international stage for far too long. Unless the pitch at Lords is going to offer some bounce which would suit Harmy then I cant see him getting into the side.

All the English bowlers struggled at Cardiff but apart from dropping Monty for Onions I feel they deserve a chance on a wicket that will offer a bit more.

Yes Harmison has now seriously upset the cricket establishment by his lack of fitness and inconsistency and general attitude towards touring. It took long enough but he has now done it.

That said,I guess that he and Flintoff would be the bowlers that the Aussies would least like to face

Life is just full of surprises - Flintoff a doubt after 1 Test. But I'm sure that he will explain that his knee would have been much worse if he hadn't chosen to play in the IPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566