Ashes Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching Sky and they didn't tell us until after you posted - they've spent half an hour talking crap then they missed the toss:icon_roll

BBC for me....updates via site...TMS on...and reaction on Talking Balls. Shalle we open a First Test thread, after all this is the build-up thread.

I look at our batting and I worry, I look at our bowling and I worry an the keepers prone to the odd glaring error :icon_conf

I'm watching Sky and they didn't tell us until after you posted - they've spent half an hour talking crap then they missed the toss:icon_roll

It was a complete f*** up. Predictable day I'm afraid Aussies rattling up 300+ for only 3 wickets and most of our bowlers proving expensive. Wouldn't Monte be valuable now hey England selectors!!!!!!

Wouldn't Monte be valuable now hey England selectors!!!!!!

Spot on - a few extra runs from Giles when we are 500 behind isn't goig to help much whilst a few more wickets from Monty might have done.

Sounds like a typical first day at Brisbane and was down to the toss. From all accounts, Harmy aside, they didn't bowl badly.

Anderson is no replacement for Jones, Giles is no replacement for Monty and Harmison no longer looks like a test cricketer. I think we will struggle.

Anderson is no replacement for Jones, Giles is no replacement for Monty and Harmison no longer looks like a test cricketer. I think we will struggle.

I think we will get murdered - first innings total of around 700 for the convicts, and we will be all out for around 140 and 160 respectively

Spot on - a few extra runs from Giles when we are 500 behind isn't goig to help much whilst a few more wickets from Monty might have done.

Sounds like a typical first day at Brisbane and was down to the toss. From all accounts, Harmy aside, they didn't bowl badly.

One person I was proud of once again in an England shirt is Flintoff, great stuff, real lionheart, poor bastard has to carry the team - Batting, Bowling And Captain.

If we bat sensible there is no probelm in getting within a 100 of their score, they will declare around 500.

They will also want to stamp their authority on this series

They will aim for 650 as a minimum - 700 if they can do it in reasonable time

WTF, Harmisons first ball finishing at 2nd slip:icon_redf .
Whats the betting that McGrath is right on the money from ball 1 when England go in

If the England selectors want to have average bowlers who can bat a little i.e picking Giles over Panesar, then they should have considered Broad ahead of Anderson for the squad. Personally think Broad would have risen to the occasion and he can bat too. My team for the Ashes bearing in my injuries would have been:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

If the England selectors want to have average bowlers who can bat a little i.e picking Giles over Panesar, then they should have considered Broad ahead of Anderson for the squad. Personally think Broad would have risen to the occasion and he can bat too. My team for the Ashes bearing in my injuries would have been:

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Read
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

Same as mine. I think we're probably a little biased about Broad but his height and bounce - and line and length - would have been effective.

Now that Jones is in there is no sense in changing WK again though, so Monty for Giles would be my only change in the second test

England are in terrible shape. I don't just fear the result of this game i fear a thrashing through the whole series:icon_sad: . Batsmen look short of confidence, bowlers look even worse. Panesar has to play in the 2nd test, you can't win a test match if you don't take wickets. So far in this game its back to the very worst of England sides that we have seen over the last 10-15 years, and yet deep down imo we have got better players than previous teams and should compete. Away from home in hostile conditions we look frightened of our opponents and lack belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566