Match Thread Aston Villa v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Not a penalty for me. Too close to him and his arm is moving naturally.

Villa are shocking and we need shooting if we don't win this.

I'm not one for getting on Mahrez's back. He's off form and lacking spark but he's been outstanding this season. He needs benching for a couple of matches like earlier in the season. It will help him and the team.

TornadoShaunUK

Poor penalty from Mahrez again. His casual style could cost us over the season. Maybe it's time to get Vardy on them? Depends on the circumstances I guess...

Otherwise a decent half. Villa seem to edge possession without really posing a clear threat. We on the other hand had a few very good chances. The goal was great improvisation from Vardy and as mentioned beforehand Okazaki has upped his game of late and was sharp onto the rebound.

Close call on the penalty but for me it is one, not much the player could do about touching it but there's a good chance it could have been going in if his hand wasn't there - therefore preventing a goal. It's a risk they take when they don't keep their hands down...

Miles Away

Would be really interested to know what a win percentage is for a team that misses a penalty.

Has to be relatively low.

Not today though. Up the City.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
If he handled a goalbound shot then surely he denied a goalscoring opportunity.

A player is sent off if he denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball.

I suppose the argument is that the goalkeeper was in a position where he might have saved it.

PFKAKTF FOX

Mahrez looks well off his best at the moment, very very poor penalty and overall play lacks his usual zest and spark. Would give him next 15 minutes to make a positive contribution and if nothing unleash Gray to have a run at what looks a fragile back 4.

Okazaki is really starting to show his ability, some of his link up play is now matching his work rate, thoroughly deserved his goal, brilliant anticipation and determination to get to the rebound.

NYC Fox

See I think it was harsh. Had it been given against us, I'd be cross.

It was a stone wall penalty, but not a sending off because the goalie was behind him.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
As far as I can make out there is a nonchalant, almost arrogant approach to games being displayed by Mahrez at the moment. That penalty sums up what I mean. His ability isn't in question but, at the moment, his attitude doesn't seem to be what it was. Of course, that may be complete bollocks but it's what I am seeing.

Wasn't he dropped for a game or two earlier in the season when he was similarly non-effective? It may be necessary to do it again - or even take him off now.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

bocadillo

Water Gypsy

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It was a stone wall penalty, but not a sending off because the goalie was behind him.

If he'd been brought down from behind with just the keeper to beat it would have been a clear red card.

It's whether it's a clear scoring chance that matters, not how many players there are between him and the goal.

From the replays it wasn't clear at all if the shot was on target, so I can fully understand the ref giving just a yellow card.

Polar Bear

Thing about Mahrez (and Vardy for that matter) - even if he is off form, his presence on the team sheet means the oppo will be thinking about how to stop him. His previous feats put them on the back foot before the game even starts.

NYC Fox

Easily dispossessed again Mahrez. I feel for him, he's quality through and through and created so much in the first half of the season. He just needs to keep it cool and play it simple for a bit. Great player.

Jenks

Starting to feel a little uneasy about this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669