Best vocal performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, Macky. My choices probably are boring, because I guess I've never really listened to genres with traditionally great vocalists before. Don't get me wrong I think technical ability and vocal tone are myths with regards to singing, I think singing is all about simply about getting emotions across. Personally I find singers with undoutably great technical voices like Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant to be completely bereft of soul and emotion in their voice and as such bland singers (though doesn't artists of high technical ability who chern out incredibly bland music based on flaunting technical ability over actual substance just about sum up Queen's and Led Zeppelin's music to a tee?) and much prefer many singers who have an untraditional tone and would probably be voted off in the first round of the X-Factor, like Tom Waits for example, because I think he expresses a lor more through his vocal delivery.

But (I know starting a new paragraph with "but" is poor grammar, but a new paragraph is needed at this point to stop it being one big block) I'm still guessing I think most people would agree that blues and soul music is generally the genres with the best vocalists (perhaps because they were traditionally sung by black artists in the deep south of America who expressed their supression through their music, which is hardly something that is pretty easy to feel angry and injust about and needs little faux emotion to help their vocal display) judging by your choices (all of which I enjoyed) I think you would agree (though maybe not on the reasons). However, soul is only really a genre I've been checking out recently. Because of a lack of spotify and downloaing for the past 2 or 3 months coupled with laziness of not wanting to actively check out music online and just having it in the background, I've basically only been able to listen to CDs and MP3s I already had on my iPod, which means I've only really got into the staple canon soul artists so far. Just because if I'm actually spending money on music without really listening to it beforehand I'd rather go with an artists that a lot of people whose tastes I respect like (so it's just going to be the canon: James Brown, Otis, Aretha, Marvin, Curtis Mayfield etc.). And as for blues, well that is something I have neglected for ages.

I love discovering music, be it old or new, but I am aware there are huge blindspots in my tastes and I know they still largely consist of what John Peel would decry as "white boys with guitars." That was what I got into music via though (like a lot of people I imagine), so all my "go to" artists consist of that. Not really had the ability too much to really search out new stuff though recently. When I get my new laptop around the new year I'm definitely going to try and dig into different genres a lot more.

Anyway - as I just remembered you don't like long posts Macky, making the previous David Gwilliam-esque ramble virtually obsolete, to sum up: My music tastes still revolve too much around "white boys with guitars" and other music which traditionally has more emotive vocalists is something I am well aware I need to explore a lot more, as I only know the basics.

Last edited:
My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul My laser eyes will destroy your soul

erm... wut????
srsly profosaurus i did not ****in read a single word of that WTF????
Can you do a condensed version for me, I have a limited attention span anbd that was just ****ing mental ****sake man its Xmas

I actually feel guilty, you've obviously put a lot of effort into all those words you've typed, but I have not read any of it, and to be honest, nobody ever will. What the **** were you thinking man?
I think you've had a particularly good Xmas, did Santa bring you something nice?
You cheeky ****er, you're off your snotter innit?

It was four in the morning, the end of December, Macky. I was writing it then just to see if I was better.

Last edited:
I love discovering music, be it old or new, but I am aware there are huge blindspots in my tastes and I know they still largely consist of what John Peel would decry as "white boys with guitars."

Great post Prof, I agree wholeheartedly.

C'mon peeps, let a bit of Shirley Bassey into your lives :icon_lol:

Took Mrs HTB to see Simply Red at Old Trafford in '92.
Mick Hucknall, with just his Jap mate on guitar, singing "holding back the years" was feckin brilliant.

An elder statesman of the singing kind is Tom Jones, fantastic vocals. (Not like macca who is well past his best, time to retire gracefully, Paul).

[YOUTUBE]LCJblaUkkfc[/YOUTUBE]

He might be an ugly bleeder, but he's got a good pair of lungs on him. I can get a good score on Singstar doing this song, but I do need to use my Ventolin inhaler afterwards!

Thought Thom Yorke as soon as I opened the thread. Cracking vocals on Paranoid android, too.

Thought Thom Yorke as soon as I opened the thread. Cracking vocals on Paranoid android, too.

Motion Picture Soundtrack is up their too. The "I will see you in the next life" always gives me goosebumps.

Motion Picture Soundtrack is up their too. The "I will see you in the next life" always gives me an erection.

Some songs do that to me as well. Must admit, it's usually a female singer though. Still, each to their own......

Phil Hartley (Bogshed) - 'Fat Lad Exam Failure'.

There are several Bogshed tracks to choose form that display the form of Phil Hartley. 'Fat Lad' is just a classic. I know most of you agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669