bnp on question time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a complete farce, the show was set up to tear Griffin to pieces, and this is supposed to be a democratic country, what bollocks. All of the audience was hostile towards him.

Loved the bit where he shut Jack Straw up by saying his father was locked up during the war for refusing to fight.

Anyway I am not a BNP fan by a long way, but I am a fan of democracy which was not shown tonight.

It was bollocks, don't know why I expected better.
I thought Nick Griffin came out of it quite well, mainly because there wasn't anything of any substance discussed. It just turned into the 'We hate Nick Griffin' show and they didn't do a very good job of it.
Jack Straw was just a stuttering, pointless embarrassment.

straw got nailed
griffin looked a contradicting twat who fawned over those trying to slag him, embarrassingly smarmy, clapping anti bnp comments
perfect candidate for my old gran and victorian dad!

straw got nailed
griffin looked a contradicting twat who fawned over those trying to slag him, embarrassingly smarmy, clapping anti bnp comments
perfect candidate for my old gran and victorian dad!

Remember HTB is Nick Griffins mate...... HTB will have you for comments like that, unless he discovers you're a black jew.....:icon_bigg

The witch-hunt is not helping esp. the fall-out this morning in the paper.

The audience was fair and everything was directed at Griffin. Regardless of how much of a muppet he looked/was, that was the kind of propaganda 'they're out to get us' to successfully build a campaign off.

The witch-hunt is not helping esp. the fall-out this morning in the paper.

The audience was fair and everything was directed at Griffin. Regardless of how much of a muppet he looked/was, that was the kind of propaganda 'they're out to get us' to successfully build a campaign off.

The audience was not fair at all. They were very biased

There is only one way of showing the BNP up for what they are, and that is allowing them as much media coverage where they can be disected as everyone else get's.

For example my easily influenced Mother was starting to get pulled in by their untruthfull flyers and propaganda, she was fed up with the current regime and liked some of the thing's they were saying. That all stopped when a show titled ' BNP wives' was shown and the BNP were finally unmasked (by themselves) as a bunch of complete racist, rude and uneducated moron's. Thank's to that programme I no longer have to highlight the horrendous flaws in the BNP's attitude and their proposals on how they would run this country.

Question time, If done correctly, would do exactly the same thing. Unfortunatly it seems the other perticipants were incapable of properly unmasking a vile organisation and showing them for the scum they truly are.

It was a complete farce, the show was set up to tear Griffin to pieces, and this is supposed to be a democratic country, what bollocks. All of the audience was hostile towards him.

Loved the bit where he shut Jack Straw up by saying his father was locked up during the war for refusing to fight.

Anyway I am not a BNP fan by a long way, but I am a fan of democracy which was not shown tonight.
Agree totally.
I had respect for the BBC bravely inviting Griffin on the panel in the face of political pressure and violent protests. I believe that leaving them out would be like leaving Plaid Cymru/SNP/Greens out of the political debate when they have elected political representatives in the various parliaments, councils and assemblies.
However, that respect diminished rapidly watching the programme which decended into a debate of the BNPs existence. Question Time is supposed to address the issues which are currently affecting the nation. Fine to have the first prolonged question on the BNP, but then to ignore the fact that the mail service in this country is at a stand still due to strike action is unforgiveable. I would have been very interested to hear his views on this and other topical issues rather than what he thought about the death of Gateley.
Missed opportunity and Dimbleby has gone down in my estimation.

Agree totally.
I had respect for the BBC bravely inviting Griffin on the panel in the face of political pressure and violent protests. I believe that leaving them out would be like leaving Plaid Cymru/SNP/Greens out of the political debate when they have elected political representatives in the various parliaments, councils and assemblies.
However, that respect diminished rapidly watching the programme which decended into a debate of the BNPs existence. Question Time is supposed to address the issues which are currently affecting the nation. Fine to have the first prolonged question on the BNP, but then to ignore the fact that the mail service in this country is at a stand still due to strike action is unforgiveable. I would have been very interested to hear his views on this and other topical issues rather than what he thought about the death of Gateley.

So you stayed up the extra half hour then? What did they show in the half hour before then. Wife swop with a sheepfarmer?

Agree totally.

Why has Dimbleby gone down in your estimation? He's chairing the debate, the questions come from the audience.

I don't think Q Time is the best forum to challange a party like the BNP; too many panelists all trying to out do each other on who can bash the Griffin the most. A better forum would be a head-to-head so that actual BNP policies can be challenged.

Suppose the outcome was inevitable.

On a par with badger baiting of the human kind.

Whatever you think of the BNP and Nick Griffin, the panel's attitude and that of a bias audience were totally out of order.

We talk of free speech, even Jack Straw, when talking of homophobia said we should respect others views and outlooks on life (or words to that effect), not a lot of evidence of that, was there.

When he was allowed to talk, Nick Griffin, did actually say some interesting stuff. Whether you believe him or not, as he is a politician!, is up to you.
Even the baroness with weird eyebrows, agreed why people were looking towards the BNP rather than the usual suspects.

So you stayed up the extra half hour then? What did they show in the half hour before then. Wife swop with a sheepfarmer?

No, we have our own racist show which extols the virtues of self governing, the Welsh language, free prescriptions and hosting the Commonwealth games.

Why has Dimbleby gone down in your estimation? He's chairing the debate, the questions come from the audience.
Yes they come from the audience in advance and in writing. But it is he and the editorial team who choose which ones will be asked, and he controls the length of time spent on each question. Failed on both counts.

I don't think Q Time is the best forum to challange a party like the BNP; too many panelists all trying to out do each other on who can bash the Griffin the most. A better forum would be a head-to-head so that actual BNP policies can be challenged.

....and they all failed miserably, I feel Griffin came out of this better than when he went in! I fear this programme could have attracted a few more idiotic morons to vote for him.

I actually think it was reasonably civilised, the audience could have been much worse behaved than they were - and a properly balanced debate dealing with these issues would have been very difficult to stage. Griffin's problem is that he has made such outrageous statements in the past (he admits to his earlier holocaust denieal views) that it is very difficult for him to regain any sort of credibility - it provides his opponents with the convenient weapon of "opportunism" and insincerity, with which to challenge his supposedly more moderate stance.

Jack Straw was awful, rambling, incoherent - he just didn't seem to know how to handle Griffin. I thought the other panelists dealt with it reasonably well. Even Griffin didn't emerge from it too badly, although I doubt whether he will have convinced many people that he has become any more reasonable or moderate. Bonnie Greer made a couple of delightful off-the-cuff remarks.

What gets me though is the awful way the press has reported it. Organs as diverse as the Mirror and the Telegraph have misrepresented things which Griffin said. For example they say he defended the Klu Klux Klan, and attacked homosexuals. I was listening carefully, and I think he actually skillfully avoided doing either (whatever his private views).

Wrt the Klan he stated that the particular group he was dealing with was a non-violent one, and did not state (as is implied in the papers) that the Klan as a whole was non-violent. He was also claiming (rightly or wrongly) that he was appealing to their supporters to change their views, rather than the Klan leadership which does not sound like "defending" the clan.

According to the Telegraph, he described homosexuals as "creepy". He didn't. He said (I paraphrase) he found men kissing each other openly on the street creepy. I'm afraid I find that an unpleasant sight as well (which I can't rationalise), but I'm certainly not homophobic and have close homosexual friends (and a lesbian daughter).

I detest Mr. Griffin and all he stands for, but I think the media does us a misservice in mis-representing his actual statements. It's applying the same tactics they would condemn in those they are attempting to demonise.

I actually think it was reasonably civilised, the audience could have been much worse behaved than they were - and a properly balanced debate dealing with these issues would have been very difficult to stage. Griffin's problem is that he has made such outrageous statements in the past (he admits to his earlier holocaust denieal views) that it is very difficult for him to regain any sort of credibility - it provides his opponents with the convenient weapon of "opportunism" and insincerity, with which to challenge his supposedly more moderate stance.

Jack Straw was awful, rambling, incoherent - he just didn't seem to know how to handle Griffin. I thought the other panelists dealt with it reasonably well. Even Griffin didn't emerge from it too badly, although I doubt whether he will have convinced many people that he has become any more reasonable or moderate. Bonnie Greer made a couple of delightful off-the-cuff remarks.

What gets me though is the awful way the press has reported it. Organs as diverse as the Mirror and the Telegraph have misrepresented things which Griffin said. For example they say he defended the Klu Klux Klan, and attacked homosexuals. I was listening carefully, and I think he actually skillfully avoided doing either (whatever his private views).

Wrt the Klan he stated that the particular group he was dealing with was a non-violent one, and did not state (as is implied in the papers) that the Klan as a whole was non-violent. He was also claiming (rightly or wrongly) that he was appealing to their supporters to change their views, rather than the Klan leadership which does not sound like "defending" the clan.

According to the Telegraph, he described homosexuals as "creepy". He didn't. He said (I paraphrase) he found men kissing each other openly on the street creepy. I'm afraid I find that an unpleasant sight as well (which I can't rationalise), but I'm certainly not homophobic and have close homosexual friends (and a lesbian daughter).

I detest Mr. Griffin and all he stands for, but I think the media does us a misservice in mis-representing his actual statements. It's applying the same tactics they would condemn in those they are attempting to demonise.

I agree Hector. It was also interseting to hear his stance on imigration. He stated, almost verbatum 'we should close our borders full stop, we have too many people of all denominations in our country'. And as you say, although i do not support him, at the very least he has offered a solution to this problem which many people find infuriating.

No other party is willing to pin it's colours to any solution as far as i'm aware.

Whether or not (I hope not) you agree with Nick Griffin's views, you have to respect him for having the balls to go on the show.

I actually felt sorry for the BNP bloke, he is a twat yes but he said some decent things but there was hardly anyone in the audience to back him up. I thought he answered a few of the questions well and I think his appearance on t.v will of done his party the world of good. I don't back it however well I back no one as I am to young to vote.

I actually felt sorry for the BNP bloke, he is a twat yes but he said some decent things but there was hardly anyone in the audience to back him up. I thought he answered a few of the questions well and I think his appearance on t.v will of done his party the world of good. I don't back it however well I back no one as I am to young to vote.

How old are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670