Bob Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I going attempting to give Bobby D a go....what album shall I start on?

Depends. The problem with Dylan is that none of his "big" albums are particularly accessible and he's gone through so many different stages of his career that one album doesn't necessarily give a good overview. Although some his acoustic numbers are easy to get into, his harsher blues-rock numbers took a bit of adapting to for me.

I'd say Brining it All Back Home is probably the best starting place as it's a mixture of his acoustic and electric stuff and has some of his most famous numbers (Subterranean Homesick Blues, Mr. Tambourine Man, It's All Over Now Baby Blue) on it.

Like I said, you may not be able to get into the electric numbers on their at first (Maggie's Farm, Outlaw Blues, On the road Again), but I'd say it's most accessible of his "big 5" albums.

Last edited:
I'd recommend bringing it all back home or another side of bob Dylan as a starting point. Half the fun is that those that didn't pick up each album as they came out can explore in any order they like.

Half the fun is that those that didn't pick up each album as they came out can explore in any order they like.

Half the fun? I can't see anything else enjoyable in that scenario, so I'm gonna guess that it's a lot more than half.

Half the fun? I can't see anything else enjoyable in that scenario, so I'm gonna guess that it's a lot more than half.

Pick up two Dylan albums at random and you will find him mastering/butchering (depending on your stand point) a different sub-genre of music - OR - you may find two really quite similar albums (thematically, lyrically or musically) recorded say 20 years apart.

Pick two lighthouse family albums and they'll both just be maybe pleasant but meh and the same. Did they even have 2 albums?

Has anyone heard the new mono releases or the Whitmark Demos yet?

Really intrigued about whether or not to ask for the mono boxset for xmas now... I already have all the releases on CD bar his debut, but I've heard some reviews say they're the best ever releases of his 60s albums on CD and it gives them a whole nother level of amazingness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670