Brighton match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
alex said:
Although I think it will be a tougher league, with Norwich, and two of Southampton, Palace and WBA, Hull City, and the so-called under performers in Wolves, Leeds, West Ham etc... Tougher it'll be, mark my words.
luton will surprise a few teams nest season too...
let's get safe this season first :?

MKFox said:
alex said:
Although I think it will be a tougher league, with Norwich, and two of Southampton, Palace and WBA, Hull City, and the so-called under performers in Wolves, Leeds, West Ham etc... Tougher it'll be, mark my words.
luton will surprise a few teams nest season too...
let's get safe this season first :?

We'll be ok, but only because there are three teams below us who are very poor.

And the games are running out for them Alex.Some of them have only 4 matches left,the likes of Watford can't get a point lately what makes anyone think theat these teams are suddenly going to take 8 or 9 points out of a possible 12 ?

highland fox said:
And the games are running out for them Alex.Some of them have only 4 matches left,the likes of Watford can't get a point lately what makes anyone think theat these teams are suddenly going to take 8 or 9 points out of a possible 12 ?

Exactly.

However, isn't it amazing given the pre-season optimism, that we're even contemplating this? What a year.

alex said:
How many of us there Webbo? I couldn't get a ticket, don't tell me any were on the gate!

Never any tickets on the gate at Brighton, it's part of the agreement for playing at the stadium that it's advance sales only, for all supporters.

Our 700 tickets sold out pretty quickly.

foxybru said:
I tell you what boys, I hate to say it but we're in big, big trouble. We needed those 3 points today IMHO

I can see us getting only 1 more point this season the way we're playing - in a home draw with Cardiff.

"The way we're playing"?

We're unbeaten in 6 games, if we keep that up we'll have no problems.

We were poor for the first half hour, but once we scored we took control of the game, I'm sure we'd have won if Hughes hadn't been sent off, Brighton looked out of the game, but the red card lifted them.

Even if we do only get one more point this season (which I doubt very much), it would require several teams to go on better runs than they're on at the moment to overtake us.

webmaster said:
foxybru said:
I tell you what boys, I hate to say it but we're in big, big trouble. We needed those 3 points today IMHO

I can see us getting only 1 more point this season the way we're playing - in a home draw with Cardiff.

"The way we're playing"?

We're unbeaten in 6 games, if we keep that up we'll have no problems.

We were poor for the first half hour, but once we scored we took control of the game, I'm sure we'd have won if Hughes hadn't been sent off, Brighton looked out of the game, but the red card lifted them.

Even if we do only get one more point this season (which I doubt very much), it would require several teams to go on better runs than they're on at the moment to overtake us.

Deluding yourself Webbo. Unbeaten in six ? (not quite, I count the Blackburn game) well, yeah, but who against ? a decent point against West Ham and a scrappy win against MillWise aside, the other five of those you allude too should have been better results.

So,
Brighton - took the lead - thrown away
Wolves - took the lead - thrown away
Millwall ? well OK - but if De Vries hadn't got lucky through the keepers legs, who would've put money on us holding out (a la above two games) ?
West Ham - good result. Although you know it don't ya - took the lead - thrown away
Watford - shocking to be two down to a team who hadn't won for years and haven't since. Came back OK but not good enough
Burnley - yawn, appalling.

and before that ? (don't let the facts fool you) defeats to Forest and Stoke who are both on downward spirals and a draw with Reading who have only picked up today after a couple of months in the doldrums....

As I say, don't let the facts fool you. for "unbeaten in six" read "one win in ten".

We're as poor as we've been - footballing wise - for decades.

webmaster said:
Brighton looked out of the game, but the red card lifted them.
:?
can anyone explain why when we're down to 10 we'll lose or draw, but when the opposition has a man sent off they play harder and better and we will lose or draw? :?
may seem strange but we seem to be the only team that play worse after a sending off...

i cant beleive it, in todays NOTW craig levein was quoted to be fining stephen hughes. i really dont know what CL is on here, if SH gets fined i would be appaled. from what i hear (as iwasnt at the game and didnt listen to it) it was a silly red car for 2 dissent's but a fine?!!?! god your being silly now.

cooperLCFCanstey said:
i cant beleive it, in todays NOTW craig levein was quoted to be fining stephen hughes. i really dont know what CL is on here, if SH gets fined i would be appaled. from what i hear (as iwasnt at the game and didnt listen to it) it was a silly red car for 2 dissent's but a fine?!!?! god your being silly now.

Why is that silly? He kicked the ball away twice and got sent off, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do and he deserves a fine. We then went on to lose two points which could be vital to us. There is no excuse for getting booked for dissent. People were screaming for players to get fines for reds at the start of the season when we had had about 5 in 12 games (um, exaggeration probably...).

cooperLCFCanstey said:

He should definitely be fined.

It was a totally stupid sending off, and he should have known better. Players should have more discipline than to do that.

Some red cards you can accept, without a fine. Dabizas at West Ham for example - his red card offence may have saved us a point. But Hughes cost us two points yesterday.
Players who are sent off needlessly should always be fined - if the ref made the right decision. I don't think we can argue about yesterday's red card, although the ref did seem to let their players get away with the same thing.

foxybru said:
Deluding yourself Webbo. Unbeaten in six ? (not quite, I count the Blackburn game) well, yeah, but who against ? a decent point against West Ham and a scrappy win against MillWise aside, the other five of those you allude too should have been better results.

The point I was making is that if we continue in the same way, we'll have no chance of relegation. We're certainly not in the deep trouble you say we are.
For us to go down Watford or Brighton would have to get five more points than us, from their remaining four games, and we've got 6 games left. Those two teams are both on really poor runs (as you've pointed out already), and they both have two games left against promotion chasing teams.
It would take an amazing turn around in form by us, and several of the teams below us, for us to go down.
In the reverse matches against the 6 teams we still have to play, we got 11 points. But you think we're only going to get one point from them. I hope you don't take your negative attitude to the ground with you.

We're as poor as we've been - footballing wise - for decades.

Disagree with you there.
Do you not remember 1991?
It's only 14 years ago (I don't count that as 'decades'), we were a much much poorer team then than we are now. And this season we'll be safe before the last match.

I'm much more optimistic about our future now than I was 6 months ago. We're playing better football (in terms of style of play and entertainment value) than we have done for years. I could tolerate MA's hoof and hope tactics when it was getting us results, but I much prefer Levein's style of play.

well like i say i wasnt there yesterday so only those who were no best but i do think we shouldnt use hughes as a scapegoat and fully blame him. the team often give away late goals.

cooperLCFCanstey said:
well like i say i wasnt there yesterday so only those who were no best but i do think we shouldnt use hughes as a scapegoat and fully blame him. the team often give away late goals.

The way we were playing before he was sent off we looked much more likely to score than they did, we were spending long periods in their half and controlling the game.
Doesn't mean for definite that we'd have gone on to win it, but Hughes' stupidity certainly didn't help.

And even if we'd gone on to win he should still have been fined, stupid red cards like that are not acceptable.

Got to agree with you Webbo. Too many doom and gloom merchants around. :evil:
Recent weeks have seen City play some of the best football for many a year, but not always getting the result it deserved.
Safety this season, onwards and upwards next...

Reading the interview with Maybury in the Wolves programme, some of the things he said sounded very relevant, such as:

Maybury said:
"The situation here is very similiar to what it was when I joined Hearts from Leeds in the autum of 2001," said Maybury.

"Craig Levein had been there for about a year at the time and was in the process of rebuilding the side. And in my first season we were inconsistant and went through bad runs at times. It was not until my second season that things really kicked-off, following a bit turnover of staff in the summer. I think everyone needed a pre-season to get to know what the manager wanted and I think its going to be the same here."

"It has been a bit easier for me because I already know him having been with him at Hearts. In a way I have had to try and get the message across to the other lads, but I think everyone will really see a difference when we have all been through pre-season training together."

"First and foremost the manager wants his teams to be very well organised with nobody in any doubt what they have to do. He also demands hard work and expects players to give it their all for 90 minutes. It may not always happen for you in games but he will accept that if he knows the players have given it everything."

"Everyone is buying into this and everyone is gradually learning what he wants. But it takes time. It did at Hearts and it will here."

Leigh said:
Reading the interview with Maybury in the Wolves programme, some of the things he said sounded very relevant, such as:

Maybury said:
"The situation here is very similiar to what it was when I joined Hearts from Leeds in the autum of 2001," said Maybury.

"Craig Levein had been there for about a year at the time and was in the process of rebuilding the side. And in my first season we were inconsistant and went through bad runs at times. It was not until my second season that things really kicked-off, following a bit turnover of staff in the summer. I think everyone needed a pre-season to get to know what the manager wanted and I think its going to be the same here."

"It has been a bit easier for me because I already know him having been with him at Hearts. In a way I have had to try and get the message across to the other lads, but I think everyone will really see a difference when we have all been through pre-season training together."

"First and foremost the manager wants his teams to be very well organised with nobody in any doubt what they have to do. He also demands hard work and expects players to give it their all for 90 minutes. It may not always happen for you in games but he will accept that if he knows the players have given it everything."

"Everyone is buying into this and everyone is gradually learning what he wants. But it takes time. It did at Hearts and it will here."

Hence the reason why I am prepared to give him until the 10th game of 06/07 season, which is at least as long as MA got. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

I totally agree with you Webbo - the football we're playing at the moment is at least a mmch improved style, I have a lot of hope with CL at the reigns, I really do.

the seasons a no brainer now so instead of going on about how crap its been lets just look forward tonext year which i believe will be great.
oh and forest are down so brighten up and thank yourselves lucky it's not us in forests shoes.

BLUE ARMY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670