Bye bye Barber

Status
Not open for further replies.

spenno

Sorry if this is already common knowledge (although I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere)...

Barber is definitely leaving RL at the end of the season. Thank f&*k.

OK, he's no John Motson (not sure if that's a bad thing, but you know what I mean ...), but why do Leicester fans have to be so angry about everything?
What evidence do you have that the next incumbent of the RL commentator's chair will be perfect? Surely, local radio is not the home of great commentators.
Turn the sound down on Match of the Day and have a go yourself; it's not easy and, that's when you are watching decent football! There again, knowing the ability of Leicester fans to pass the buck, it is probably Barber's fault that we have been so poor for the past five seasons: he must be one of the few consistent entities around LCFC for that time.

No, it's cos the twat is a Sheep and gets facts wrong every damned game(so I am told by people who listen) and the way he crawls up the arse of the club is sickening.
And on the phone-ins he's patronising to any callers who says anything anti-LCFC, and quite a few times doesn't let them say their points, instead him and Birch talking over the caller.
Biased and unprofessional.

Has feck all to do with anything else, if he was an adequate sports reporter people would've said so. He's not even that.

Last edited:
OK, he's no John Motson (not sure if that's a bad thing, but you know what I mean ...), but why do Leicester fans have to be so angry about everything?
What evidence do you have that the next incumbent of the RL commentator's chair will be perfect? Surely, local radio is not the home of great commentators.
Turn the sound down on Match of the Day and have a go yourself; it's not easy and, that's when you are watching decent football! There again, knowing the ability of Leicester fans to pass the buck, it is probably Barber's fault that we have been so poor for the past five seasons: he must be one of the few consistent entities around LCFC for that time.
Whilst I take your point Diken, the bloke is a grade A tosspot.

Perhaps he just doesn't fancy going to Oldham, Yeovil, Hartlepool, Cheltenham or Hereford.

So what happened? Got the push? Moving to another station?

Anyone notice his half hearted anti-Derby comments yesterday? and Walsh asking for his reaction when the Rams went 6-0 down....

So next season we'll hopefully know whats actually going on.

I wouldn't bet on it.

RL football coverage has always been leaden.

The way I look at is is at least they provide a service by covering every game. I realise that the standard is sometimes little better than hospital radio but it is a service.

To be honest, I sometimes tune in on my car radio- momentarily I rush to add - and the overall service provided by RL seems pitched at a geriatric and special needs audience. Perhaps I am being slightly unfair. BBC local radio started with a bit of vigour all those years ago but seems to have lost its way now as far as appealing to any mainstream listeners.

Sorry if I misunderstand this line, but I've heard the opposite. For example Jeff has said that RL commentators often move on to bigger tasks?

I'm sure some have learned their trade and moved on but for instance we had the Foulger era and that was hard work.

and the overall service provided by RL seems pitched at a geriatric and special needs audience.
That's why RL is so successful, knowing your audience is very important.

Have you heard some of the twats being interviewed, and some of the people that phone in on Monday night????

"bring back walseh"

"walseh'd sort um out"

" E ant gorra clue"

"I've been going down citeh since I were knee height to grasshopper, and it aint never been this bad, as it Steve, you know, you remember"

"Hey up Birch, remember when we had a drink in the nags head in '72"

"why didn't he bring on humeh, or the dark lad"

I'd say RL have got it spot on, we get what we deserve.

he wouldn't be needed next season anyway, who the feck is going to tune in to hear yeovil vs leicester?

JB's commentary always appeared to be said in such a patronising voice, and he only seemed to get excited when the opposition nearly scored, or scored.

Having said that, in recent matches he has seemed less of a wanker. If it's true that he is moving on, then it could explain why.

Personally, I'm glad to hear he is going.

Maybe they should do a weekly fanzone type commentary, ala the Leeds game. Mind you this season all you'd hear is bleep bleep bleep bleep.........

That's why RL is so successful, knowing your audience is very important.

Have you heard some of the twats being interviewed, and some of the people that phone in on Monday night????

"bring back walseh"

"walseh'd sort um out"

" E ant gorra clue"

"I've been going down citeh since I were knee height to grasshopper, and it aint never been this bad, as it Steve, you know, you remember"

"Hey up Birch, remember when we had a drink in the nags head in '72"

"why didn't he bring on humeh, or the dark lad"

I'd say RL have got it spot on, we get what we deserve.

You're spot on.

Wednesday last week, I was watching Central News when 3 Leicester fans were interviewed and generally their intelligence was awful.

One example - 'I cant imagine us playing RovRum'.

Is that the Rotherham United who beat us on Boxing Day 3 years ago....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566