Can we do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: can we

Redditch Fox said:
webmaster said:
Brauny Blue said:
Its a tall order Webbo. I'd luv to be positive but we have not looked anything like a promotion side this season .

But what I've seen of the top 6, they haven't looked like promotion teams either.
We've shown in patches that we can play well enough, but we've just not been consistent enough, and have made too many costly mistakes. If we sort this out we can finish in the top two. I think it's unlikely, but far from impossible. Top six shouldn't be too difficult.

IMO : even though this is a threadbare division & the side and club are now on the up because of some organised management;
nevertheless:
the side is currently no where near good enough to justify promotion & in the unlikely event of being promoted would sink like a big brick;

CL needs time -not unreal expectations .

I agree, i feel it will be another season until promotion, the side being far too inconsistent and having poor strikers hampers progress this year.

But we still have to have hope.Or we just play the next 20 odd games with an attitude of 'It doesn't matter if we lose we aren't good enough anyway'.Agreed we have a poor strike force dodgy defenders but watch the other 23 clubs they really are no better.2 0r 3 injuries/suspensions and teams like Reading will slide down the table..Oh No I forgot they've got Paul Brooker in reserve.

saw in the programme for the last match a copy of the league this time last year crystal palace we're lower than us with less points and they still made it, so why can't we, we'll be champions by the end of the season

Joe_Fox said:
webmaster said:
Tony Elsby said:
Assuming Levein improves the team during the transfer window

Why do people keep talking about the transfer window?

The transfer window only applies to Premiership clubs buying players. So unless we're raising some money by selling a player to a Premiership club (Dublin to Chelsea?), the January window doesn't come into it.

I don't think Levein has any money for new players anyway, so he'll need to get rid of players first. I don't think we'll see much transfer activity before the summer unless someone on decent money leaves (Benjamin? Dublin?), but not many clubs can afford players like that, so it's unlikely unless we pay them to leave.

:lol: :lol:

Except that Dublin would probably say he was waiting for a Spanish Club to come in for him. :roll: :wink:

webmaster said:
Tony Elsby said:
Assuming Levein improves the team during the transfer window

Why do people keep talking about the transfer window?

The transfer window only applies to Premiership clubs buying players. So unless we're raising some money by selling a player to a Premiership club (Dublin to Chelsea?), the January window doesn't come into it.

I don't think Levein has any money for new players anyway, so he'll need to get rid of players first. I don't think we'll see much transfer activity before the summer unless someone on decent money leaves (Benjamin? Dublin?), but not many clubs can afford players like that, so it's unlikely unless we pay them to leave.

Point taken but I still think there will be personnel changes in or around January. We'll see, of course, but if I were Levein I'd be chomping at the bit to improve things.

:lol: :lol:

webmaster said:
I think we can finish in the top two.

For the record, the first time I have disagreed with you. I fear Ipswich, Sunderland and West Ham may have secured those, although it is a possibility I agree.

Play-offs I think are a cert and once we're in, well, then it's a lottery!

I fancy us to meet West Ham in the play-off Final in Cardiff and Connolly grab a brace!!!!

With all this enthusiasum I am starting to believe that next season we can be back where we belong. but we must manage our expectations or to much pressure will be placed on Levein to achieve quick fixs. Which rarely works in football.

There is always hope!

As long as we have that we will never be beaten...never :twisted:

Nobody is putting pressure on anybody, all we are saying is that on current form in a poor division, there is at the moment no need to write the season off.

IMO the promotion race is still wide open and the main factors are :

1) Can CL keep up this improvement and keep on developing this winning mentality with the current squad.

2) Will the board back CL sufficiently to allow him to maybe bring in 1 or 2 players to increase competition within the squad and also freshen things up and provide fresh impetus.

3) Dont forget it is not all in our hands at the moment.....IMO Wigan, Ipswich, Reading do not possess enough quality or have the bottle to maintain early season form through the whole season. I also believe Sunderland and West Ham lack the quality to run away with the division.

4) If we gain promotion or even get into the play offs it will have been a fantastic effort by all involved, if we dont, well at least we will have the satisfaction of knowing that the club is progressing and moving forward in the right direction, and more importantly based on current performances that the club will have, under CL given it everything. Remember when CL took over the season was a write off, he has given us a great deal of hope, but most importantly this hope is for the long term and not just this season.

This is the result of the season for me today. There might be 1 or 2 starting to look over their shoulders now, and i feel our reputation is growing.
Our record over the last 16 reads : W 6 D 8 L 2
Not record breaking stuff but a good steady sequence of results.
The play-offs are now becoming a realistic target and not just a slender hope.
Up the foxes and bring on the Reading
C'mon you blue boys

play offs would be a fantastic end to the season. but would a return to the prem be a good thing? being trounced every weekend again?.... and then take half a season to recover?
should we establish a decent team first or hope to go up and buy loads of old pros to keep us there? :?

Its going to be interesting to see who/if/what CL buys/acquires/borrows over the next few months (if anyone).

I feel a bit like when MON was here and got us up. The manager seems to have that something special. The Prem is no doubt tougher now than ever but if we carry on till the end of the season as we are now, we can get up and, possibly, stay up.

Its really great the overall feeling around the club compared with three-four months ago :)

Lovin it now, can't wait for this time next year. :D

MKFox said:
play offs would be a fantastic end to the season. but would a return to the prem be a good thing? being trounced every weekend again?.... and then take half a season to recover?
should we establish a decent team first or hope to go up and buy loads of old pros to keep us there? :?

Good point ,but you have got to take promotion if there's any chance.The longer we are out of the prem the weaker we become.

Brauny Blue said:
Good point ,but you have got to take promotion if there's any chance.The longer we are out of the prem the weaker we become.
yeah, i know, but it gets a bit depressing thinking a point against charlton is a good result.

Only 12 points from the top of a league which contains lots of inconsistent teams, we really can win this league. :D

IF,we did go up then there is no way that Craig Levein would go down the 'buying loads of old pros' road.Its just not the way he does things.

Lboro fox said:
Only 12 points from the top of a league which contains lots of inconsistent teams, we really can win this league. :D

dead right! looking around, i think we can give anyone a game.

lcfcrules said:
Lboro fox said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
But there are certainly signs that we are turning the draw habit into a winning one.

We are also giving ourselves the chance of a bit of luck, like the own goal today.

Point is, if the ball is in their penalty area, instead of ours, then any mistake is likely to be to our benefit instead of our cost.

I stress again. Realistically, we've given so many points away early season that, even if we maintain our improvement, we are relying so much on others imploding that a top two place remains unlikely.

But if it happens, or we win a play-off place which is a more reasonable target, we should never be afraid of going up.

Good tactics can take you a long way in sport, football included, as MON proved. That applies as well in the Premiership as anywhere else. City have got to show they have as much ambition as their manager cos I for one have every faith in his ability at any level.

Like I said when he came. I just hope he has the personal staying power to take us places we've never been - instead of waltzing off to the footballing glitteratti where, I might caution him, it has all been done before.

Doing a Clough and getting us into those circles ... now that really would be an achievement that would make the man a true football legend.

The man is a saint, could be a living legand like MON, he has put the Hearts back into the Foxes.

Playoffs here we come!

Tony Elsby said:
lcfcrules said:
Lboro fox said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
But there are certainly signs that we are turning the draw habit into a winning one.

We are also giving ourselves the chance of a bit of luck, like the own goal today.

Point is, if the ball is in their penalty area, instead of ours, then any mistake is likely to be to our benefit instead of our cost.

I stress again. Realistically, we've given so many points away early season that, even if we maintain our improvement, we are relying so much on others imploding that a top two place remains unlikely.

But if it happens, or we win a play-off place which is a more reasonable target, we should never be afraid of going up.

Good tactics can take you a long way in sport, football included, as MON proved. That applies as well in the Premiership as anywhere else. City have got to show they have as much ambition as their manager cos I for one have every faith in his ability at any level.

Like I said when he came. I just hope he has the personal staying power to take us places we've never been - instead of waltzing off to the footballing glitteratti where, I might caution him, it has all been done before.

Doing a Clough and getting us into those circles ... now that really would be an achievement that would make the man a true football legend.

Quite agree with you Tony.
No doubt the prem would be difficult for us ,but has it ever been easy.
We are nearly at halfway and the 3 promoted clubs are having a tough time ,but none of them are dead and buried.This should give us hope.
Last season we were only 6 pts off safety with MA in charge, and i think poor old micky was out of his depth in that company.With CL i feel more optimistic about our chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669