Championship Taking Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonfox

from the os

CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS 2009/10

Fifteen teams have now confirmed for the 2009/10 Coca-Cola Championship line-up.

Blackpool
Bristol City
Coventry City
Crystal Palace
Derby County
Doncaster Rovers
Ipswich Town
Leicester City
Nottingham Forest
Peterborough United
Plymouth Argyle
QPR
Sheffield Wednesday
Swansea City
Watford

FROM PREMIER LEAGUE: (Three from ten will play in the Championship next season) West Brom, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Hull City, Sunderland, Blackburn Rovers, Portsmouth, Bolton Wanderers, Stoke City and Wigan Athletic.

CHAMPIONSHIP PROMOTION RACE: (Four from six will play in the Championship next season) Birmingham City, Sheffield United, Reading, Cardiff City, Burnley and Preston North End.

CHAMPIONSHIP RELEGATION RACE: (One from two will play in the Championship next season) Barnsley or Norwich City.

LEAGUE ONE PLAY-OFFS: (One from five will play in the Championship next season) Millwall, MK Dons, Leeds United, Tranmere Rovers and Scunthorpe United.

Going to be bloody hard season IMO.

Last edited:
No it won't,we will piss it and if we aren't top by Christmas then Pearson has to go

A few midlands games too with potential for more. Luvly Jubbly.

Not too worried about most of those teams... hopefully Reading and Birmingham go up, as I think they'd be the strongest of those teams in the promotion race again next year. Although Reading depends on who replaces Coppell.

Reading is my nearest club though, so kind of want them to stay down so I have a local game to go to next season... but I like them so want them to go up... hmmm...

Not sure how Newcastle will do if they came down... they'd lose a lot of players, but they'd get money from that obviously (Martins, Coloccini and Taylor at least would get decent fees)... but Mike Ashley might not want to give much money to a team he's desperate to get out of.

West Brom will be up near the top again... really I'd expect most of those teams if they came down to be strong... except maybe Hull.

It's fine though, we'll walk it!

Last edited:
Whilst the likes of Preston and Burnley have proved that there is little to fear and a play off place is achieveable with some good organisation, discipline and shrewd signings. It is going to be a hell of a division, with pretty much any club just as likely to be fighting for promotion as they could be battling relegation.

The number of local derbys could become an unwanted distraction, invariably these games are tight, tense affairs. We currently will have Cov, Derby, Forest, Peterboro and could also have West Brom and Birmingham, potentially 12 matches and most likely to be at least 10. Great for the fans but not so sure from a football and results perspective that it will be a positive.

Whilst the likes of Preston and Burnley have proved that there is little to fear and a play off place is achieveable with some good organisation, discipline and shrewd signings. It is going to be a hell of a division, with pretty much any club just as likely to be fighting for promotion as they could be battling relegation.

The number of local derbys could become an unwanted distraction, invariably these games are tight, tense affairs. We currently will have Cov, Derby, Forest, Peterboro and could also have West Brom and Birmingham, potentially 12 matches and most likely to be at least 10. Great for the fans but not so sure from a football and results perspective that it will be a positive.

They'll all be in the same boat though

They'll all be in the same boat though

I agree, but all that will happen is that everybody takes points off each other and it screws our season up. I think the Midlands clubs will have a difficult season with the amount of derbies to be contested.

People really consider Peterboro, WBA and Birmingham to be derbies?

Cov, Forest and Derby fair enough, possibly Wolves and Villa at a push, but ive never really considered any other midlands club to be a rival

Having looked at the list for the first time properly, I am feeling very confident if we can get a few new signings along with the two we have already got that we can achieve a safe mid-table position.

Teams like Blackpool, Doncaster, Plymouth e.t.c are teams that we need to be beating and if we can beat them and then beat a few of the "better" teams in the division then we should be already.

The Championship is so inconsistent and there is no good teams in it. Wolves have gone up this year with a very average team but with a few quality players. If we can get a few quality players I think we should be fine.

The main difference from our last stay is that we now have a "winning mentality"/confidence which should help previous poor performers for us in this league (ie Oakley Howard Fryatt) I have confidence in Pearson/Walsh in selecting good players. IMO we pissed Div1 because we had Championship players we must now bring in Prem quality players , if Burnley and PNE can do well im confident of a decent season

The sad thing is some Blue Mongies will actually be thinking this
no they will not,he's there new god :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sorry but this attitude pisses me off. If its Blue Mongie-ish to have a bit of enthusiasm and optimism (albeit clearly not to the extend your exaggeration is suggesting) then so be it.

Id much rather be a "blue mongie" than an anti-blue mongie happy to criticise the team and shoot down anyone with a bit of enthusiasm.

You forget, this is the first real experiences some of us have had where weve been able to really appreciate the success, sure i can remember the ONeill days but id never seen anything before that so i presumed we were always that successful i hadnt seen the shit of the Pleat era etc. and was never really old enough to understand those were among the best years in LCFCs history, the Taylor days were dyer but is still only seen us a PL side abd it didnt actually last that long so i couldnt get that worked up under Adams.

Its only the extended shittiness of the Levein/Holloway/the rest eras which have really caused me to appreciate us and enjoy us being successful for once. So its not surprising some people have a lot of time and enthusiasm for the direction NP is taking the side

You have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs as it were, and this is the first real chance some of us have had to do that

Last edited:
Watford will do well next season,picked up a lot since they got that Chelsea guy in charge,I'd expect them to be Play Off candidates at least.People will no doubt have high unrealistic hopes for us and then at the Walkers when we aren't playing teams off the park they will start berating individuals and booing and the teams confidence will drop and we will struggle...or we will do rather well,who knows ?

You'd expect it to be pretty tight across the division - not much that stands out. I reckon Blackpool and Barnsley will go down, and whichever's left out of Birmingham, Reading and Sheff. U to be challenging for promotion. Along with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566