Chris Powell to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

I don't agree that Newcastle is a better move actually. Mardew's contract is worth feck all if he starts losing matches, which he will. Where would Powell go if that happened? Newcastle is a poisonned chalice of a place to work. And cold.

At LCFC right now CP gets to be warm and work under Sven. Much better for CP then being yet another Newcastle failure.

Scodger Cubs

I don't agree that Newcastle is a better move actually. Mardew's contract is worth feck all if he starts losing matches, which he will. Where would Powell go if that happened? Newcastle is a poisonned chalice of a place to work. And cold.

At LCFC right now CP gets to be warm and work under Sven. Much better for CP then being yet another Newcastle failure.

Same thing was said in this article and it also says Powell had a meeting with Sven last night and that Pardew is trying to sign one more coach by the end of the week.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/n...powell-ponders-nufc-job-offer-61634-27827812/

Redditch Fox

nip it in the bud chris (as sven has done with his speculation)

Right....Sven's been here now for less than 3 months and already I'm reading on teletext etc that he's committed to Leicester and would like to sign a new contract.

Frankly, I've never expected that he will he around for too long and actually his statements draw attention and fuel speculation rather than douse it.

Cynical? Of course I am...but tend to be right more often than I would like on these things.

As for Chris Powell - the bloke has to make his best judgement as to what's best for him. Newcastle is notoriously unstable so compensation terms in any contract is bound to be an issue......but I'm not entirely sure how stable is Leicester.

Steven

He is on SSN now. :icon_wink

Argus

Leicester coach Chris Powell insists he remains fully committed to his duties at the Walkers Stadium amid speculation linking him with a role at Newcastle.

City are understood to have rejected an approach from the Premier League side for the 41-year-old reserve-team manager to link up with new Magpies boss Alan Pardew's backroom staff.

Pardew, who assumed the Newcastle hot-seat following Chris Hughton's controversial dismissal earlier this month, wanted Powell to stay on as coach when he was in charge at Charlton two years ago, but did not have the financial means to make it happen.

Former England left-back Powell, who ended his playing career at Leicester earlier this year, admits he is flattered by Newcastle's interest, but remains entirely focused on the Foxes.

"This has all come as a bit of a surprise to me," said Powell.

"It is flattering to be linked with a Premier League club so early in my career, but I have a job to do here at Leicester.

"I have had a chat with Sven (Goran Eriksson) and he is keen for me to stay and, as far as I'm concerned, that is what I am doing.

"Under Sven and the new owners, the club is on the verge of a big new thing and I think there is only one direction which they are going in and that is upwards."

Macky

Gruntled Member
Leicester coach Chris Powell insists he remains fully committed to his duties at the Walkers Stadium amid speculation linking him with a role at Newcastle.

City are understood to have rejected an approach from the Premier League side for the 41-year-old reserve-team manager to link up with new Magpies boss Alan Pardew's backroom staff.

Pardew, who assumed the Newcastle hot-seat following Chris Hughton's controversial dismissal earlier this month, wanted Powell to stay on as coach when he was in charge at Charlton two years ago, but did not have the financial means to make it happen.

Former England left-back Powell, who ended his playing career at Leicester earlier this year, admits he is flattered by Newcastle's interest, but remains entirely focused on the Foxes.

"It is flattering to be linked with a Premier League club so early in my career, but I have a job to do here at Leicester.

"I have had a chat with Sven (Goran Eriksson) and he is keen for me to stay and, as far as I'm concerned, that is what I am doing.

"Under Sven and the new owners, the club is on the verge of a big new thing and I think there is only one direction which they are going in and that is upwards."

This is good to hear.

When did you interview him Argus?

Redditch Fox

Fantastic news - what a scoop for you!

Just one small thing; I'm waiting for the day when someone in the football industry who is wanted by someone else in the food chain says words to the effect that - 'he's not surprised; he hasn't got much of a job at his present club anyway so he might as well move on - and as far as he's concerned his car's engines revving up in the club car park.'

Now that would be an even better scoop for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669