Christmas No 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's for charity and the little kiddies :). I also think there is far more merit in a song with a message that involved musical talent and creativity reaching number 1 rather than whatever cover the X Factor lad is singing.

To get people to realise that there is more out there than Simon Cowell's latest money gimp.

But doing this with RATM means the people who buy it will be the people who already realise there's an alternative. The people who buy the X-factor thing won't like RATM, it will probably make them think non-mainstream (if you can call a band on Sony that) music is rubbish. I have the RATM album on CD and if you're trying to introduce people to alternative music I would start with something a little gentler.

If there is going to be a campaign like this (not that I think there should be) it should be for an independent artist who deserves the success and will appeal to a broad range of people. Not something the X-factor fans would never dream of buying anyway.

Best xmas song this year is a version of Elvis Costello's The St Stephen's Day Murders by Thea Gilmore and Mark Radcliffe. A song about killing your family is probably more appropriate for many people than the fluffy nonsense that's usually released at this time of year :)

Best xmas song this year is a version of Elvis Costello's The St Stephen's Day Murders by Thea Gilmore and Mark Radcliffe.

You've just got Thea and Mark and extra download, I'll be buying that now :icon_bigg

I would have made 'House Of Cards' by Radiohead the competitor to the X-Factor single. It's got nothing to with Christmas or sticking it to Cowell, it's just a really beautiful alternative genre song.

I won't be buying the RATM single as I'm not that fussed what gets to No. 1 at xmas (and I already have it on their album), just thought I'd stick my oar in and say they're a band I like a lot from my early days of going to gigs and their gig at Rock City in '93 is still one of my favourite ever

(this is my fairly redundant post on the issue complete)

The Killers have done a Christmas single for the past 4 years but none of them have really been particularly good and/or chartworthy since Great Big Sled, which is one of my all time favourite Christmas songs and I just wish it had more of a push to beat Cowell.

I watch X Factor but cannot stand the monopoly on the Christmas number one.

Let us not forget that RATM are donating a huge % to the charity 'Shelter', a great cause and a great charity for this time of year.

RATM have got number one. Hate the song but still pleased it has broken the X-Factor Christmas Number 1 domination......

Quality. **** you Cowell, and you too you insipid geordie twat.
(That's enough of my festive cheer for now)

Congrats to everyone who took part in the campaign, and to echo the words of Rage, congrats to Joe for getting to number two.

Good point, i've forgot his name already!

But doing this with RATM means the people who buy it will be the people who already realise there's an alternative. The people who buy the X-factor thing won't like RATM, it will probably make them think non-mainstream (if you can call a band on Sony that) music is rubbish. I have the RATM album on CD and if you're trying to introduce people to alternative music I would start with something a little gentler.

If there is going to be a campaign like this (not that I think there should be) it should be for an independent artist who deserves the success and will appeal to a broad range of people. Not something the X-factor fans would never dream of buying anyway.

Best xmas song this year is a version of Elvis Costello's The St Stephen's Day Murders by Thea Gilmore and Mark Radcliffe. A song about killing your family is probably more appropriate for many people than the fluffy nonsense that's usually released at this time of year :)

I think you are both missing the point. The aim was to get something other than x-factor to number one. What song it was didn't really matter to me although it was a good choice - about as opposite to x-factor as you can get.

Also, good pick by Cowell as 'the climb' will have to do just that if it wants number one. :icon_lol:

Unless the proceeds go to Shelter..and the chorus is '**** You I Won't Do What You Tell Me..'

Unless the proceeds go to Shelter..and the chorus is '**** You I Won't Do What You Tell Me..'

RATM say they will donate a proportion of their royalties

Nothing from Sony BMG, who have raked in a feckin' fortune from this whole load of twaddle as they own both artistes....

RATM say they will donate a proportion of their royalties

Nothing from Sony BMG, who have raked in a feckin' fortune from this whole load of twaddle as they own both artistes....

Ha ha ha just enough to keep a soup kitchen going for a few days

Oh dear, there is only one winner from this whole debacle, and that would have been the case regardless which of the 2 acts won the number 1 spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669