Con - nolly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Elsby

After being so close to a brace at Crewe this might not be the right time to ask but is Connolly really a centre forward?.

Talented, awkward, a handful even spectacular at times but Levein, to my mind, has a problem. Certainly the Scowcroft/Conolly combination looked better than anything else so far, but do they have enough goals in them?

Specific coaching, better team shape and closer support may turn things in their favour - and I hope so because both seem good value, honest-to-goodness footballers.

But will they muster 15 goals each in a season or a combination of 30 goals between them which is the yardstick for success. I know it may sound daft but, exciting as it looks, Connolly hits too much woodwork and has too many near misses.

Is he rather like Huckerby, Harewood etc - someone who flatters to deceive, someone who looks dynamic but doesn't quite register the goals that he ought to.

Dickov was almost the opposite. Terrier-like, awkward but never what you'd call classy. But, just like Cottee before him, he was always getting "tiddler" goals, little, unspectacular tap-ins or simple 15-yard finishes, often with the minimum of fuss.

I remember an old Leicestershire footballer who was similar. Frank Sheard. People used to ask what I saw in him when I was his manager. I'd answer "18 goals plus every season".

He never looked anything but keen and committed. He wasn't fast nor particularly skilful to look at. But he was always there when the ball was in the box and it went in the net off his shin, off his backside whatever.

Can Connolly learn the skill or will he be better supporting Scowcroft and a more natural striker? What does the forum think. Are the current players capable of scoring enough goals (even accepting that two SHOUD) have been enough against Crewe?.

PFKAKTF FOX

IMO these two will score goals for us this season, once they have got used to playing together I can see them becoming a potent strike force, wouldnt surprise me if everything clicks into place on monday, after CL has been able to work with them for a few days, if it doesnt happen then I wouldnt be surprised to see a new striker being brought in.

Babylon

Previous to joining us his record was one goal in every two starts, he hasn't just turned into a poor finisher over night. And last time in this Sowcroft scored about 11 goals from the wing.

In my opinion they are easily good enough for this league.

Steven

PFKAKTF FOX

In Connolly's defence he joined us as Micky Adams biggest signing and also our biggest signing since administration, straight away the expectation was unbelieveable people expecting 25 - 30 goals.

Also he is a thinking footballer, intelligent, reads the game well and works very hard, but is then stuck up front with one of the laziest strikers I have ever seen in my life - Dion Dublin.

We then proceed to adopt tactics which at best see players hoofing long balls down the centre and out wide for Connolly to chase, but then we expect him to have scored goals left, right and centre.

With CL at the helm things will change, already Dublin has been dropped in favour of Scowcroft, the result Connolly had a very good game, be paitent, IMO CL will get the best out of Connolly and once he starts banging goals in, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Country Fox

first of all connolly is blatantly a centre forward, his goal scoring record was decent last season and absolutely fantastic the 2 seasons before that. he will come good. scowy is more of a strike partner if u c what i mean, he'll get a few himself but his main game is giving his partner opportunties, at ipswich he seems to have bagged 10-15 goals a season in general and i think he'll match that this season now that hes up front (he's scored 3 from midfield already after all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669