County's selection policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes been pretty dismal at Notts, but Jefferson is still an exciting signing for us.

Good one player too, along side Benning we'll actually have some fire power.

Some talk that Will Jefferson will arrive as captain

Interesting that the O'Brien blurb has been removed now. I guess he wont be coming back next season, I heard Middlesex were interested.

Rumours a couple of weeks ago about Dippenaar and Lancs too.

On the wider front, I think the Smith statement reads very well indeed and the policy is fine....on paper. However, as far as i know we will be still playing on grass next season.

Ideal signing IMO. Thought immediately about him when Yorks released him. Old pro, English, wants captaincy, has a super record and should complient the youngsters. The kind of signing worthy of raise my normal interest.

Ideal signing IMO. Thought immediately about him when Yorks released him. Old pro, English, wants captaincy, has a super record and should complient the youngsters. The kind of signing worthy of raise my normal interest.

Surely if they were to sign him they need to get a few other bigger names in to compliment him.

Hoggard + last years mess is not going to instigate much of a change in fortunes.

Probably still a couple of decent seasons in the county championship left in Hoggard. He is not renowned in the shorter formats of the game but presumably we would need to play him in all formats to justify the investment.

Would Leics find the money to match his wages requirements?

Surely if they were to sign him they need to get a few other bigger names in to compliment him.

Hoggard + last years mess is not going to instigate much of a change in fortunes.

No but it's the signing which will hopefully see more seasoned pro's signing here. Only downside is this new youth rule might work the other way and the rich boys get their cash out for our prospects.

Hoggard would be an brilliant signing but if it happens I will be amazed. Its one thing saying you are interested and another actually signing them.

I find it strange that we have even signalled our intent to speak him or is this just a smoke screen to be able to say to supporters that 'we did try' when he turns us down.

Jefferson may have had a few bad seasons but I'm still happy with it. Potentially he could regain his form and be a big run scorer for us, its a gamble worth taking.

Dippenaar going, no surprise. I'm sure he will 'do a Kruger' and appear at another county next season, but I don't feel that upset. His captaincy was uninspiring and his performances nothing out of the ordinary.

Henderson for another two years, hmmm, well good one day spinner but he had better start taking wickets in the four day game.

Hoggard, well, I have a few doubts. I can see why Yorkshire have released him and why he hasn't been snapped up already, but then again, we're bottom of the pile. Hes taken 250 test wickets, we're certainly not going to get anyone better, if we can get him, then we should do it.

I think it is illuminating that out of our 'bright young things' only taylor is in any of the performance squads even with some of the categories deliberately including people with few first class matches.

Hoggard would be a brilliant signing but i cannot see it happening. Even in the limited overs he would be more effective than our current crop.

Jefferson may have had a few bad seasons but I'm still happy with it. Potentially he could regain his form and be a big run scorer for us, its a gamble worth taking.

Dippenaar going, no surprise. I'm sure he will 'do a Kruger' and appear at another county next season, but I don't feel that upset. His captaincy was uninspiring and his performances nothing out of the ordinary.

Henderson for another two years, hmmm, well good one day spinner but he had better start taking wickets in the four day game.

Hoggard, well, I have a few doubts. I can see why Yorkshire have released him and why he hasn't been snapped up already, but then again, we're bottom of the pile. Hes taken 250 test wickets, we're certainly not going to get anyone better, if we can get him, then we should do it.

I agree on Jefferson - worth a one year contract gamble.

Henderson is a sort of default mode spinner. We haven't got anyone better and if we can't bring in someone, he might as well wheel away for another couple of years. But he certainly ain't going to get any better!

I don't think we will get Hoggard. However, tho' he is clearly past his sell by date for international cricket, he is still likely to take plenty of wickets in Division 2 and as you imply he would be a cut above what we normally bring in.

I'm no huge Dippenaar fan - it was interesting that when he batted in partnership with HD that one looked class and the other looked more ordinary. However, I think he will be a bit of a loss to a fragile batting line up.

I think it is illuminating that out of our 'bright young things' only taylor is in any of the performance squads even with some of the categories deliberately including people with few first class matches.

I was on mobile when I posted this, here are the squads if you haven't seen them:

England Performance Programme Squads
Category A players (players perceived closest to graduating into the England team and who have been part of the programme and Lions teams in recent years):
Mark Davies (Durham), Amjad Khan (Kent), Stephen Moore (Lancashire), Michael Carberry (Hampshire).

Category B players (experience of first-class cricket and perceived to be one-three years away from the England team):
Steven Finn (Middlesex), Andrew Gale (Yorkshire), Rory Hamilton-Brown (Sussex), Chris Jordan (Surrey), Chris Nash (Sussex), Joe Sayers (Yorkshire), Ajmal Shahzad (Yorkshire), James Taylor (Leicestershire), David Wainwright (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

Category C players (younger players with less first-class county experience, many of whom have been part of the ECB elite player development programme):
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Vikram Banerjee (Gloucestershire), Keith Barker (Warwickshire), William Beer (Sussex), Alex Blake (Kent), Andy Carter (Nottinghamshire), Liam Dawson (Hampshire), Luke Fletcher (Nottinghamshire), Billy Godleman (Essex), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Richard Johnson (Warwickshire), Richard Jones (Worcestershire), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Jake Mickleburgh (Essex), Sam Northeast (Kent), Ollie Rayner (Sussex), Ian Saxelby (Gloucestershire), John Simpson (Middlesex), Tom Smith (Sussex), Max Waller (Somerset), Adam Wheater (Essex), David Willey (Northamptonshire).

Fast bowling programme:
Jade Dernbach (Surrey), David Griffiths (Hampshire), James Harris (Glamorgan), Stuart Meaker (Surrey), Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669