County's selection policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF, I reckon the two lads currently doing their A-Levels would have been given the crack of the whip if it wasn't for school. There seems to be a underdog presence about us this year - a bit more fight.

A few points

Where did the club pluck the age of 25 from? It seems like quite an arbitary age. It seems like a big coincidence that Jim Allenby and Nadeem Malik are both 25. Worcs played three players 21 and under t'other day, we played one. I guess they could then skew the figures to make them look like the better club for youth if they wanted to.

Allenby is an Englishman then? Nice English accent hes got there ;)

I dont have a problem with top quality kolpaks playing like Ackerman and DuPreez. Henderson and DuToit are both jokes though. I think thats the thing most people have trouble with, the fact that we'd rather play average foreign players than someone like Naik or Ferraby

Last edited:
Selection policy for next year announced. Further progress away from the Kolpak route:

Leicestershire will play a minimum of 8 English qualified players and a maximum of 3 Non-Qualified players during the 2009 season in all forms of cricket. We will use senior role model cricketers HD Ackerman, Boeta Dippenaar and Claude Henderson to support our young players' development.
We aim to have six local players under the age of 26 who have been through our Leicestershire age group, Sub Academy/ Emerging Players Programme/ Academy representing the club during 2010. As well as a minimum of 8 English qualified cricketers in all forms of the game. A sustainable pipeline of young local cricket talent to follow into the county side.

Source http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/lc/News/Recruitment-and-Selection-Policy-2009-onwards

Dillon De Preez will not be re-appearing this coming season. County are on the look out for another overseas bowler.

Radio Leicester reporting that Boeta Dippenaer has signed as a kolpak player for this coming season and that the county are in advance talks with Iain O'Brien (New Zealander fast bowler) to take up the overseas spot for a period this season.

Radio Leicester reporting that Boeta Dippenaer has signed as a kolpak player for this coming season and that the county are in advance talks with Iain O'Brien (New Zealander fast bowler) to take up the overseas spot for a period this season.

It's sad if that's the best we can do???

His wife still lives in Matlock so at least he should be up for it so to speak!

It's sad if that's the best we can do???

His wife still lives in Matlock so at least he should be up for it so to speak!

I think that given the economics of the game for a county like Leicestershire, that we are just lucky to be able to look forward to another season's county cricket.

It's acknowledged that we just can't compete financially these days with the test/ODI counties and I marvel that we can sustain first class status in such a difficult and problematic environment.

Very interesting update from David Smith on the County's selection policy for Pro40 and next season, along with fairly frank assessment of the financial reasons for it:

http://www.leicestershireccc.co.uk/lc/News/CEO-Pro40-Policy-2009

Plus this. O'Brien to be offered a contract as domestic player.

We would like our attack to be spearheaded by Iain O’Brien (who is looking at ways to become a “local” non qualified player in county cricket).

At this stage the players below have been offered new contracts for the 2010 cricket season and beyond:
Claude Henderson, Jigar Naik, Boeta Dippenaar, AJ Harris and Iain O’Brien.

We are also looking at bringing an experienced English qualified Top order batsman to the Club for the 2010 cricket season and beyond.
The players below are currently already contracted for 2010 onwards:
James Benning, Matthew Boyce, Nathan Buck, Sam Cliff, Josh Cobb, Jacques Du Toit, Harry Gurney, Andrew McDonald, Tom New, Paul Nixon, Joel Pope, Greg Smith, James Taylor and Alex Wyatt.

What about Nadeem Malik for next season?

Arguably our best bowler last year.

Also heard that he has done this disappearing with injury 'act' at other counties so who knows what his future is.

What about Nadeem Malik for next season?

Arguably our best bowler last year.

Also heard that he has done this disappearing with injury 'act' at other counties so who knows what his future is.

I think that other counties were very surprised that Leicestershire took him on given his dismal fitness record.

Time he moved on to...where ever.

Plus this. O'Brien to be offered a contract as domestic player.

I don't want to be too unkind on such a fine morning - but on the basis of O'Brien's latest set of bowling figures for the Kiwis, he is not going to have too much difficulty in departing international cricket......and yes I have remembered he put in some excellent stints for the county.

In talks with will jefferson, another decent county player not far from england talk a few years ago.

In talks with will jefferson, another decent county player not far from england talk a few years ago.

they were talking about him on the radio during lunch at the last test match, apparently the tallest player in country cricket at 6ft 10in

they were talking about him on the radio during lunch at the last test match, apparently the tallest player in country cricket at 6ft 10in

Him and 'titch' taylor will make an interesting partnership!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669