Post Match Coventry 3 Leicester 1

Listen.

First of all, Coventry are a good side who are really well coached and were excellent value for their win. Fair play. Expect them to make another playoff run.

Second the ref was definitely ****ing useless and did us no favours at all. The penalty should have been red, the red was reactionary, and he made a series of terrible decisions.

But…we were ****ing shit in that second half. As I said in the match thread I don’t think we are remotely built to deal with being down to ten men. We like to retain the ball, which gets harder against 10. We are diabolical at defending set pieces, of which you expect more of and we concede loads of late goals.

While we have a good defensive record I’d argue we aren’t good at defending. So what does Enzo do? Abandon any pretense of playing to our strengths and completely relies on our biggest failing to see us through. I love the bloke but that was really poor in-game management today. Thankfully we don’t have to play with ten men very often.

We move on I suppose. An anomaly and we remain in a very good position.

Yep, all of this. Deciding to defend the entire half was not going to work.

Don't think Enzo really helped after the sending off either. Can't really fathom why he took Mavididi off straight away when pretty much your only offensive output with 10 men is going to be pacey wingers on the counter... the first goal unlocked the defence and after that the defending for the other two goals was half arsed. Added to that the general attitude was to sit back all game and hope they don't break us.

He tried to win the ball back and the challenge should have been no more than a yellow. No reason to hang him out to dry.
If he tried to win the ball back then he was about a second too late, no way was he trying to win the ball, it was a silly and reckless challenge.

I didn’t suggest we hang him out to dry.

Enzo should speak to him as this isn’t the first rash challenge that he has made.

it was silly of Fatawu, no need for it… certainly a lesson for him.

Can't really fathom why he took Mavididi off straight away when pretty much your only offensive output with 10 men is going to be pacey wingers on the counter...

Yep. I was still confident we could get something until I saw that change. The objective from there was just to hope they miss all their chances. Hopefully a lesson for Pep.

He got nowhere near the ball.
Aye it was a completely unnecessary challenge to lunge into, born of frustration because he wasn’t played in by Cannon just before. He’s got a big heart, Fatawu but he has cost us today.

My main issue with the referee was everything he did other than the two big calls he made. Every throw was taken miles from where it went out. Every free kick was taken like they were just playing on. Any contact from behind by our players was punished but they were allowed to bundle our players over.

Just a classic cowardly ref performance. The sense of dread set in before we’d even scored, he was piss weak from the get go.

For the first time today, I saw the Italian in our manager. His approach to the second half was awful. Totally negative and frightened.

We've been due that red card from Fatawu. He could easily have gone a couple of times already this year. Maybe he should have gone to the Afcon after all.

I can't help feeling that today is a very good indication of what following us in the PL next season is going to be like.

My second away game this season and we were useless both times. My experiment thinking I'd enjoy away games more isn't working.

For the first time today, I saw the Italian in our manager. His approach to the second half was awful. Totally negative and frightened.

We've been due that red card from Fatawu. He could easily have gone a couple of times already this year. Maybe he should have gone to the Afcon after all.

I can't help feeling that today is a very good indication of what following us in the PL next season is going to be like.

My second away game this season and we were useless both times. My experiment thinking I'd enjoy away games more isn't working.
4503.jpg

****ing dreadful performance…11 men and 10 men.

Both big decisions spot on in my eyes. Incredibly reckless from Fatawu.

And a complete disasterclass from Enzo. If he takes the plaudits he also has to take the criticisms, and that was a load of ****ing shite.

Fatawu's head was gone from the start for whatever reason. On one occasion, Faes had to drag him away from squaring up to a Cov player and EM kept having to tell him to calm down.

Not seen a red card coming so obviously since the days of Steve Walsh.

Fatawu's head was gone from the start for whatever reason. On one occasion, Faes had to drag him away from squaring up to a Cov player and EM kept having to tell him to calm down.

Not seen a red card coming so obviously since the days of Steve Walsh.
Clearly pre planned by Fatawu to have January off.
Pulls out of AFCON and then sent off with 3 match ban back here!

****ing dreadful performance…11 men and 10 men.

Both big decisions spot on in my eyes. Incredibly reckless from Fatawu.

And a complete disasterclass from Enzo. If he takes the plaudits he also has to take the criticisms, and that was a load of ****ing shite.
While not at our best our first half performance was perfectly fine. I’ll say it again: Coventry are a decent side, especially at home.

Well, that was a bag of shit, wasn’t it

Just about to come in at half time one nil up, lovely jubbly. Keep it tight, waste a bit of time, don’t do anything daft, just get yourself in and reset, three points in the bag

And then that. Fatawu is a complete ****ing idiot.

But then, we’re still one up, keep it going, we can still do this…But then Maresca ****ed it up big time.

I was disappointed with how we set about it, but it was all going swimmingly fir a good period of time.

Get to 65 minutes, top work lads, but getting a bit ragged and tired - time to bring on a load of fresh legs and close it all down? No, ok - give it five more

70 minutes. Looking a bit all over the place now. Surely this is it now, let’s shut this off? No, mmmm not sure about that

75 minutes. ****ng hell, fair play lads, but we can all see quite clearly they’re completely dead on their ****ing feet, and this is gonna cost us big time. FFS get all four remaining subs on NOW and let’s shut it down, surely? No - Enzo you’re a complete ****ing idiot

85 minutes - too ****ing late now, you‘ve gone and ****ed it up completely. Twat

Three points chucked down the shitter, in my opinion

And Mavididi, Fatawu and Justin stunk the ****ing place out. Absolute dog filth

None were as bad as the ref, though - ****ing hell fire

Disappointing, but with 10 men you are always up against it.

Bless Coventry. That’s the biggest thing to happen for them for decades. I’m not fussed. It’s the equivalent of playing Bolton in my eyes.

Coventry were well deserving of the win, lessons learned hopefully and a timely break for Fatawu.

I've had a look again at the key moments.

Obvious penalty and red card for me. It didn't look bad live but it was a dangerous tackle.

Fatawu's challenge wasn't as bad as I'd thought live either. I think a red was fair but a yellow would have been reasonable too. He didn't really make any contact and his foot wasn't raised enough for me for it to be an obvious red.

Although the red card was given as the excuse for the result after the match by EM, I think we were poor from the start. Coventry were easily the better side when it was 11v11. We were well off the pace needed.

The goals we conceded were all due to us playing knackered. Just a bunch of lazy attempts to challenge or clear.

I also cannot fathom the substitutions from EM. Bonkers to take off Mavididi (although he was poor in the first half). We had three genuine attackers in the squad today. One was sent off, the second withdrawn at half time and the third taken off with the game 1-1. What exactly do you expect to happen then?

Oh, and Choudhury was a disgrace when he came on. Could very easily have gone off himself if his attempted fouls had achieved their target.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4469
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463