David Beckham

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaumontfox

Is it just me, or is all this malarky about him wanting to play for Milan and successfully forcing his club(that Galaxy mob) to allow him to sign for them very similar to the situation with the diving twat Ronaldo last summer?

I mean, he also was pretty publically angling for a move but got slated by our media for the whole situation and in the end stays at the club that 'owns' him, yet Beckham can do pretty much exactly the same thing, get what HE wants and no one says a word??:icon_roll

Nothing to do with him being our 'golden boy' eh?*

*And al oad of crap that is as well, shouldn't have played for England 50 times let alone over 100........

Beckham is one of the most technically gifted players this country has ever produced, if he wasn't then why would he have played for three of europes biggest teams?

i agree with you partly about the whole transfer thing, though i guess the difference is the whole "slave" scenerio.

Beckham is one of the most technically gifted players this country has ever produced, if he wasn't then why would he have played for three of europes biggest teams?

i agree with you partly about the whole transfer thing, though i guess the difference is the whole "slave" scenerio.

Agreed. He's also a top bloke in my opinion and deserves respect.

Ronanldo on the other hand is just a ****.

I think Beckham genuinely made a mistake in going the US and sees this as an incredible opportunity.

The way the MLS sets itself up and the way it's players are contracted to MLS, not the Club leaves them open to such situations.

To me i think Beckham is just the kind of role model this country is after. He has pride and wants to play for his country as long as possible. He is the best player we have produced for a long time and deserves everything that he has worked for. I love the bloke and still think he's worthy of a place in the england squad.

I still can't understand why he is such a global phenomenon.

He has won one Champions League and never played beyond a WC qtr final.

how many more caps does he need to beat the present record???? i (cynically) think he will retire after he has beaten it and that is possibly the only reason he is carrying on internationally

He wont beat Shilton he is 17 behind. He wants one more to come second.

Last edited:
He wont beat Shilton he is 17 behind. He wants one more to come second.

Apparantly if he plays in all the friendlies until the WC and then in the WC he will break it at the quater final stage (I think), so it achievable, though no doubt it will be done with no style and most of those will be 10 minute subs appearances just to get him there.

Apparantly if he plays in all the friendlies until the WC.
I did hear that galaxy will refuse to release him for the friendlies. Not sure how true that is though.

I did hear that galaxy will refuse to release him for the friendlies. Not sure how true that is though.

cant see that being true all becks would have to do is throw a hissy fit and threaten to leave etc and galaxy will back down seeing as he is a big marketing commodity for them

he cant produce for 11 men though. Since world cup 98 he has never let us down, played to the best of his ability and i still believe teams fear us more with beckham in the squad. Still believe he is the best player since Charlton. Maybe you could argue lineker was better too.

Beckham is a global superstar and I think he is a fantastic role model and ambassador for the game. He may have thrown a tantrum to get his way over the Milan move but he has paid for it out of his own pocket and it's a move that shows his desire to compete at the top, despite his vast wealth. It would have been very easy for him to sit in LA and take his pay cheque. I think he's class.

Where did George Best or Alfredo De Stefano get to in the world cup?

He may be a bit slow now hes older, but hes by far and away the best distributor of the ball England has had in my lifetime.

Also, he seems like a genuinely nice bloke, has raised loads for charity, and has put back into the game with his soccer schools etc. Plus, i believe he has helped make football more popular, particularly in foreign countries and among females.

This thing may have been a little drawn out, but like hazzman said, i think he has genuinely recognised he made a mistake and is trying to rectify it. It still shows a good sense of desire if hes trying to get to the top imo

Though i can see where Ronaldo was coming from too, Real Madrid is the most famous club side in the world and if he dreamt of playing there then why not pull out the stops to try and get there?

Last edited:
Where did George Best or Alfredo De Stefano get to in the world cup?

He may be a bit slow now hes older, but hes by far and away the best distributor of the ball England has had in my lifetime.

Also, he seems like a genuinely nice bloke, has raised loads for charity, and has put back into the game with his soccer schools etc. Plus, i believe he has helped make football more popular, particularly in foreign countries and among females.

This thing may have been a little drawn out, but like hazzman said, i think he has genuinely recognised he made a mistake and is trying to rectify it. It still shows a good sense of desire if hes trying to get to the top imo

Though i can see where Ronaldo was coming from too, Real Madrid is the most famous club side in the world and if he dreamt of playing there then why not pull out the stops to try and get there?

But the mistake was all of his own doing, people told him it was career suicide and he went entirely for the money. Not saying he shouldn't be able to rectify it because of this, but he shouldn't expect people to empathise with him or bend over backwards.

he cant produce for 11 men though. Since world cup 98 he has never let us down, played to the best of his ability and i still believe teams fear us more with beckham in the squad. Still believe he is the best player since Charlton. Maybe you could argue lineker was better too.

Bollocks.

He single-handedly got us that qualifying point against Greece and since then has been mainly carried in the major tournaments he's played in(He should never have travelled to the 2002 WC after that injury) and apart from the odd game, has been a bit part player who as he has got older, has only had his 'eye for a pass' *ahem* to get him by, he can't tackle, can't head the ball, and when being played out wide cos they couldn't play him in the middle was beaten for pace so many times it was embarrassing.

Yes, his charity work and the suchlike is very good, but to be held in the same regard(and higher in some cases) by some of the true greats who have pulled on the England shirt?? Time and again managers have made room in their squad so he can be fitted in, and tbh since 2002 we've gone backwards because of 'player power' dictating the names on the teamsheet, not the fact that there were players out there who were playing better than he was and were overlooked to ensure him a place in the squads.

Since getting with his missus, the whole media propaganda that follows them around(indeed on occasion precedes them if I may be allowed to be cynical) has certainly imo, detracted from what he COULD'VE been as a football player, instead of allowing the celebrity status to become the focus of what he is.

Last edited:
All that bollox about him wanting to raise the profile of football in America. Surely it was all the doings of posh.

He was never going to kick start a boom over there anyway, better players have tried with little or no success.

Decent chap, decent footballer, but too many caps awarded by the drooling Swede.

Since getting with his missus, the whole media propaganda that follows them around(indeed on occasion precedes them if I may be allowed to be cynical) has certainly imo, detracted from what he COULD'VE been as a football player, instead of allowing the celebrity status to become the focus of what he is.

Exactly the reason why Fergie got rid.
The Beckham bandwagon was over-shadowing the one thing Man U payed his wages for..........playing football.

Beckham is a global superstar and I think he is a fantastic role model and ambassador for the game. I think he's class.
Are you still getting that Beckham tattoo on your chest (ala that fan in Alan Partridge)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363