Pre Match Derby v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not understand all this season-is-over bollux.

It is based entirely on the assumption that Pearson has so far had no impact on team morale/ability/performance and that we will play the same inconsistent way for the last third of the season as we did for the first two thirds, and so end up on about 60 points.

If Pearson has now 'turned' things around - Beckford and Nugent as a 'connected' strike-force and both scoring goals, Mills told he is crap and dropped, Drinkwater and Marshall offering new options etc., then there is no reason why we could not average 2 points a game or better, and end up with 72 points plus and be in or very near the play-offs.

I do not understand all this season-is-over bollux.

It is based entirely on the assumption that Pearson has so far had no impact on team morale/ability/performance and that we will play the same inconsistent way for the last third of the season as we did for the first two thirds, and so end up on about 60 points.

If Pearson has now 'turned' things around - Beckford and Nugent as a 'connected' strike-force and both scoring goals, Mills told he is crap and dropped, Drinkwater and Marshall offering new options etc., then there is no reason why we could not average 2 points a game or better, and end up with 72 points plus and be in or very near the play-offs.
Are you telling me we will actually win two league games on the bounce? Then I might buy in to all this.

Mike, surely with the evidence thus far this season we are far more likely not to succeed than to do so?

I just can't see about 9 wins between now and the end of season. No back to back league wins in a year is very telling IMO.

Where is this turn around???? We beat Norwich reserves last week; before that (ignoring Watford), we beat a Cardiff team going into its annual tail spin (sorry Rhydal!), and before that... my memory isn't that good!

Our best bet for promotion, next season, is that Nigel Pearson is a lucky manager (he has often achieved a win just when his detractors were gathering momentum - Crystal Palace away being a case in point). The points per game is as near identical to Sven's, as to need an electron microscope to spot the difference and I begin to wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson could achieve back to back wins with Leicester!

Redditch, no one is saying that people think we will achieve promotion or get into the play-offs. I don't think anyone here would think it is likely, but while there is a chance of doing so, we shouldn't give up the fight. That kind of defeatist attitude goes completely against what you are saying about getting into being a challenger next season. We need the right attitude to be able to do that and giving up all hope while there is still a chance, no matter how slim is not the kind of attitude you want to breed to be able to do well.

If we want to build a promotion challenging side for next season, then saying that this season is not over is exactly the kind of the thing we want our staff and players to be saying and exactly the type of mentality we want our players to have.

Not sure about that. Maybe a bit of reverse psychology might work.

I've also seen us put together long unbeaten runs - most relevant probably under Milne in I guess the early 80's when I think we went about 16 games unbeaten to reach the then top tier finishing I think with a goalless draw in front of a no where near full Filbert Street.

Someone mentioned about us needing to maintain the posture that we can still make the play offs as a motivation to ensure enough Pearson keeps his job. I dpn't buy that either. I don't see any alternative to Pearson as a credible option. It was a bad mistake to allow him to move in the first place and even in the madness of football i can't see it happening so quickly the second time round. Unfortunately there is nothing in our record this season that tells me that we are ready to be promoted. Some people get absurdly carried away by the occasional decent result - like as someone as mention winning against Norwich (reserves).

Not sure about that. Maybe a bit of reverse psychology might work.

I've also seen us put together long unbeaten runs - most relevant probably under Milne in I guess the early 80's when I think we went about 16 games unbeaten to reach the then top tier finishing I think with a goalless draw in front of a no where near full Filbert Street.

Someone mentioned about us needing to maintain the posture that we can still make the play offs as a motivation to ensure enough Pearson keeps his job. I dpn't buy that either. I don't see any alternative to Pearson as a credible option. It was a bad mistake to allow him to move in the first place and even in the madness of football i can't see it happening so quickly the second time round. Unfortunately there is nothing in our record this season that tells me that we are ready to be promoted. Some people get absurdly carried away by the occasional decent result - like as someone as mention winning against Norwich (reserves).

Whether we are ready to get promoted next season makes no difference.

If you have the opportunity to take promotion, you take it. Then think about staying up afterwards. How many times have we said "we're not ready yet, there's always next year" and then next year never comes. The Championship is too open and there's no guarantee we'll be challenging next season, not by a long shot, that's why you take the opportunity when it arises.

The FFP rules which comes into play next season could also prove hugely problematic for us, though I'm not quite sure if anybody knows how this will affect us next season yet.

Whether we are ready to get promoted next season makes no difference.

If you have the opportunity to take promotion, you take it. Then think about staying up afterwards. How many times have we said "we're not ready yet, there's always next year" and then next year never comes. The Championship is too open and there's no guarantee we'll be challenging next season, not by a long shot, that's why you take the opportunity when it arises.

The FFP rules which comes into play next season could also prove hugely problematic for us, though I'm not quite sure if anybody knows how this will affect us next season yet.

Sorry I didn't espress myself too well. I meant we aren't good enough to get enough points for promotion this year. You are absolutely correct if a club can get promoted then they should grab it irrespective - its worth it for the money anyway.

As for FFP rules I don't know either how they would impact. However, there was an interesting article in todays Daily Telegraph which focussed on Portsmouth but the gist was that any Championship club that is paying OTT wages is playing a very dangerous game. In a sense we are in a race - either we will get promotion fairly quickly or alternatively at some point the owners may pull out.

Sorry I didn't espress myself too well. I meant we aren't good enough to get enough points for promotion this year. You are absolutely correct if a club can get promoted then they should grab it irrespective - its worth it for the money anyway.

As for FFP rules I don't know either how they would impact. However, there was an interesting article in todays Daily Telegraph which focussed on Portsmouth but the gist was that any Championship club that is paying OTT wages is playing a very dangerous game. In a sense we are in a race - either we will get promotion fairly quickly or alternatively at some point the owners may pull out.

Is there any evidence that the owners are considering pulling out? The only sign I have noticed is the lack of Thai holidays being offered and this may be due to a half time concentration on the One In A Million.

Of course we will not reach the play-offs. To do so will require not merely far better performances from us which is certainly possible but also too many good teams above us playing really badly. Of those teams desperate to reach the play-offs all but one will find them a real let-down.

Would you bet your house on it? I'm not going to use tips from people who aren't going to back them up with their own money.

I would have bet my house on it if I hadn't already wagered it against the chance of there being some weather tomorrow.

Are you telling me we will actually win two league games on the bounce? Then I might buy in to all this.

Err, maybe. ... Or we could on a 15 game run of WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN = 31 POINTS!

Err, maybe. ... Or we could on a 15 game run of WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN - DRAW - WIN = 31 POINTS!

FFS! This is just typical. We're so shite we can't even manage two draws on the ****ing bounce, never mind wins

Last edited:
Stringer tweeting that Matt Mills is not in the squad for tomorrow.

Quote from The Mirror ...

MATT MILLS is facing an uncertain future at Leicester after being frozen out by Nigel Pearson.

Defender Mills could be a shock casualty this summer less than 12 months after his £5m move from Reading.

The 25-year-old, who was named captain by former boss Sven Goran Eriksson, is not even in the 16-man squad for Thursday's game against Derby.

And Pearson could cash in on the centre-half after bringing in Wes Morgan from Nottingham Forest last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669