Fifteen years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was sat behind the goal post when Claridge 'shinned it',bizarrely it was like had we scored.

If your choice of words and grammar mean what I think they do then that was my reaction too!

the game that took the most out of me was the Swindon game...truly was a energy sapping game.

Myself and the lads were all boisterously pissed up going into the stadium that day, but were stone cold sober leaving

what a day that was.

without sounding corny, it was like time stood still or went into slow motion when he hit that, took ages to go in! seemed like no one knew it had gone in until the ball had bounced about twice in the net, the place erupted after that! brilliant

super, super steve etc etc.

Awesome day.

It did,as some have already said, go strangely quiet for a couple of seconds when it went in before we started celebrating.

Also remember my mates dad being mad pissed and arguing with everyone around him.

It also gave way for the years of taunting Nigel Martin.....'we saw you cry at Wembley...'
He didn't take it well a few years later at the Celtic Manor Hotel, the night before a certain Lids Utd FA Cup game. Neither did his moronic team-mates.

what a day that was.

without sounding corny, it was like time stood still or went into slow motion when he hit that, took ages to go in! seemed like no one knew it had gone in until the ball had bounced about twice in the net, the place erupted after that! brilliant

super, super steve etc etc.

I, for one, expected the ball to fly high and wide of the net. It was like time had stood still, and it went so quiet, I can still remember the noise of the net rippling as the ball hit it.

I remember looking at the ref and the lino, and seeing them signaling the goal, and Muzzy looking confused, and then our end erupting.

It was one of those moments that make the crap ones worth suffering, if that makes sense.

I always thought Palace took their eye off the ball to laugh at Kalac.

To be fair after the Bolton farce I never thought I would see Kalac in a Leicester team again let alone keep a clean sheet. To those younger members who rightly complain about Ricardo or Weale - you have no idea how bad a goalkeeper can be and still play professional football.

I can still remember the noise of the net rippling as the ball hit it.

BM will be along any minute to call you a liar.

Not to sound corny...

The best live footballing experience that I have ever had. From that performance I sensed something special. Izzet, Lennon and Parker were superb that day, covering every blade of grass. Parker's penalty was immense and showed great courage. As for the winner, people have mentioned time standing still and I agree. When the realisation has finally dawned I went absolutely crazy. I remember sitting with my dad in the very top tier in an area with palace fans. To say they looked gutted would be the understatement of the century. Absolutely fabulous day and one of the best journeys home from Wembley that I can remember!

Not to sound corny...

The best live footballing experience that I have ever had. From that performance I sensed something special. Izzet, Lennon and Parker were superb that day, covering every blade of grass. Parker's penalty was immense and showed great courage. As for the winner, people have mentioned time standing still and I agree. When the realisation has finally dawned I went absolutely crazy. I remember sitting with my dad in the very top tier in an area with palace fans. To say they looked gutted would be the understatement of the century. Absolutely fabulous day and one of the best journeys home from Wembley that I can remember!

I'd give a mention to Scott Taylor as well.

And, yes, time did stand still. Even now, I can see Nigel Martyn standing motionless looking behind him at the ball in the back of the net.

Last edited:
I'd give a mention to Scott Taylor as well.

And, yes, time did stand still. Even now, I can see Nigel Martyn standing motionless looking behind him at the ball in the back of the net.
Spot on! Taylor was great that day aswell. If it hadn't been for his injury nightmare I could have seen him playing a big part in the premier under O'Neill. Julian Watts was also a more than steady centre back and an inspired signing by O'Neill.

Also, one very clear memory from that day was Steve Walsh's tackle on Hopkin. Absolutely smashed him!

Can't believe this was 15 years ago. That's making me feel old!

I remember being in a seat by the aisle and ending up celebrating on my back. :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566