Confirmed Transfer Gökhan Inler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester City have completed the signing of Switzerland national team captain Gökhan Inler from Italian club Napoli, subject to international clearance and receiving approval from the Premier League and the FA.

The vastly experienced midfielder, 31, joins the Foxes for an undisclosed fee and has signed a three-year-contract to become the latest edition to Claudio Ranieri’s squad. Inler will wear the No.33 shirt.

Inler’s 84 caps for Switzerland have included appearances at the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals, along with the 2008 UEFA European Championship Finals on home soil. He has played 15 times in the UEFA Champions League for Napoli and FC Zurich, scoring memorably for the Italians in a last 16 tie at Chelsea in 2012.

His excellent range of passing and ability to read the game are well established on the European stage – skills Inler will be eager to put to the test in the new challenge that awaits him in the Barclays Premier League.

Subject to his registration being confirmed, Inler will be available to make his City debut this Saturday, when the Foxes look to maintain their flawless start to the 2015/16 season against Tottenham Hotspur at King Power Stadium.

Inler began his career in Switzerland with FC Basel and FC Aarau, the latter of which he made his debut for in 2005 before FC Zurich spotted his potential in 2006.

His stay in Zurich was short but successful, with two league titles to his name in a season and a half that saw him catch the eye of Udinese. He eventually signed for the Italian club in 2007.

Back-to-back seventh placed finishes and a UEFA Cup campaign in Inler’s first two seasons marked them out as a success. During Udinese’s UEFA Cup campaign, Werder Bremen knocked the Italians out at the quarter-final stage – a tie in which Inler found the net with a stunning 25-yard shot to add to his goal against Borussia Dortmund earlier in the tournament.

Across his four seasons for Udinese, Inler was one of the side’s most consistent performers and missed just 11 league games during that time.

His final campaign in Udine was arguably his most successful, as the team recovered from a bad start to surge to a fourth-placed finish and secure Champions League football – Inler’s displays once again central to that success.

That form inevitably won Inler plenty of admirers and in May 2011 it was Napoli that moved to secure his signature for a reported £10 million. He immediately picked up where he left off to eventually help the Naples side to a fifth placed finish and a Coppa Italia victory against Juventus.

Napoli also enjoyed a run to the last-16 of the Champions League, when they were beaten 5-4 on aggregate by eventual winners Chelsea – a game in which Inler added another long-range goal to send the game into extra-time.

That fifth place finish in the league was improved to second place in 2012/13 along with another third place the following campaign, while Inler also helped the team to a second Coppa Italia title in three years with a win over Fiorentina.

A cornerstone of the Swiss national team since his international debut in 2006, Inler has been his country’s captain since 2011. He won the most recent of his 84 caps in a 2-1 win over Lithuania in June, during qualification for next year’s European Championship Finals in France.

inler-4-3-lc7476-026280-2631572_478x359.jpg

inler-480-lc7476-020280-2631580.jpg

gokhan-inler-480-lc7476-003280-2631581.jpg

What a signing. Not quite the same but just as important to our development as an attractive club as Cambiasso IMO as he's staying for several years.

Leicester City have completed the signing, subject to international clearance and receiving approval from the Premier League and the FA.
From the BBC...
Leicester have confirmed that Inler will be available to make for the club on Saturday, when the Foxes host Tottenham aiming to to make it three wins from three.

He's tweeted to his fans in Italy.

Google translate says this:

Dear Naples, is difficult, so difficult after four years ... And then I thought maybe it is better to say goodbye so: by borrowing before Uncle Pino and then to you, what people, the wonderful your people, you sang every Once a promise of eternal love ...
Napule is a thousand culure ... That I will every day in the heart, mind and skin ... Napule thousand fears ... Let him learn to love and you can not do without ... Napule is a voice de 'criatura that ascends Chiana chianu and you know ca' nun is Sulo ... And it is a unique feeling, this voice that captivates the soul ...
Napule is nu sun ... But so bitter sweet look behind every cloud ... Napule addore and 'sea ... A sea where you get lost and you can not do without ... Napule is na' soiled paper and nisciuno cares and everyone expects a 'ciorta ... Yes, but that card will go everywhere with me ... And I will wait to' ciorta ...
Napule is na 'walk fake viche miezo ATO ... I alleys, among the people, I spent some wonderful days ... Napule is all nu suonno and' all or sape 'munno But nun to know' the truth. .. I know it ... I discovered it, I loved it, I locked in your heart and that is why today my eyes are wet and dirty from this sea of this earth. My land. Hello guagliù, Forza Napoli forever.

Dear Naples, is difficult, so difficult after four years ... And then I thought maybe it is better to say goodbye so: by borrowing before Uncle Pino and then to you, what people, the wonderful your people, you sang every Once a promise of eternal love ...
Napule is a thousand culure ... That I will every day in the heart, mind and skin ... Napule thousand fears ... Let him learn to love and you can not do without ... Napule is a voice de 'criatura that ascends Chiana chianu and you know ca' nun is Sulo ... And it is a unique feeling, this voice that captivates the soul ...
Napule is nu sun ... But so bitter sweet look behind every cloud ... Napule addore and 'sea ... A sea where you get lost and you can not do without ... Napule is na' soiled paper and nisciuno cares and everyone expects a 'ciorta ... Yes, but that card will go everywhere with me ... And I will wait to' ciorta ...
Napule is na 'walk fake viche miezo ATO ... I alleys, among the people, I spent some wonderful days ... Napule is all nu suonno and' all or sape 'munno But nun to know' the truth. .. I know it ... I discovered it, I loved it, I locked in your heart and that is why today my eyes are wet and dirty from this sea of this earth. My land. Hello guagliù, Forza Napoli forever.
Makes me wonder what he will say about Leicester when he leaves.

Here are some ö's, you're gonna need them:

öööööööööööö
ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ
öÖÖöÖöÖöÖöÖ

ALT+0214 = Ö
ALT+0246 = ö

Happy to help.

Said goodbye to his old fans. Clearly doesn't want to be here.

I'm sat here booing already...

Remarkable that a short while back we were targeting Shaun Maloney and now we've got Inler, a classy, vastly experienced international captain. Truly fantastic stuff and shows how far the club has come in a short time.

Delighted to see a player of his class join the club, brilliant stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566