General Election 7th May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Greens and any progressive 'people' party will be held back by voters sticking to traditional parties like sheep.

They'll also be held back by the current first past the post system.

Where I live it's going to be a straight race between Labour and Conservative. Anyone who wants to vote for a smaller party knows voting for them will make no difference and they're just wasting their vote. So they're more likely to vote for the lesser of the two evils than the party they really want.

Proportional representation is the only way to change this, so every vote counts. Then we'd have something closer to a proper democracy.

I've got a postal vote and I've already wasted my vote - on Alfred.

They'll also be held back by the current first past the post system.

Where I live it's going to be a straight race between Labour and Conservative. Anyone who wants to vote for a smaller party knows voting for them will make no difference and they're just wasting their vote. So they're more likely to vote for the lesser of the two evils than the party they really want.

Proportional representation is the only way to change this, so every vote counts. Then we'd have something closer to a proper democracy.

I've got a postal vote and I've already wasted my vote - on Alfred.

Agree on proportional representation, but the system is better for them if democracy means only choosing between a douche and a turd. The whole system stinks IMO. You cast your vote to massage the ego of someone who will never represent you or your type if it conflicts with the interests of their wealthy backers.

The Greens making policies up on the spot is not what is holding them back. Labour have made shit loads of bollocks promises to left wing voters and they'll still get the votes. The Greens and any progressive 'people' party will be held back by voters sticking to traditional parties like sheep.

Or thinking that most of what they say is complete and utter bollocks

I'd like to know what other global disasters Labour are responsible for, sounds like they are evil geniuses if they masterminded the worldwide banking crisis-induced recession. The bastards.

I'd like to know what other global disasters Labour are responsible for, sounds like they are evil geniuses if they masterminded the worldwide banking crisis-induced recession. The bastards.

They are the illuminati.

I agree that our voting system makes many people's vote a waste of time. However, a proportional representation system would just lead to a further dilution of politics and even more compromise and deals about anything and everything. That isn't how we progress, or if it is, it can only happen painfully slowly.

What we need in this country is a good old fashioned dictatorship. Someone with principles and beliefs that will drag the country out of its stupor despite itself. We effectively had one of these with Thatcher and that is why so many people revere her to this day. She led, irrespective of public opinion or morality.

Of course, the problem with a dictator is the fact that wanting to be one should preclude you from being one. It is the nature of the role that someone who is capable of doing the job effectively is necessarily awful. As Thatcher proved to be.

What we all need is a nice dictator. They don't grow on trees or in the mainstream political parties we have created for ourselves where any mis-placed comment or action or item of clothing or hair out of place leads to an absurd level of ridicule and attention.

Single issue pressure groups like the SNP, the Greens or UKIP, that masquerade as political parties are nothing more than a waste of everybody's time and vote.

For me, we have a choice of two potential leaders, neither of whom inspires any confidence or genuine authority. Neither of whom is capable of convincing their own people, let alone a country. It is a feeble choice in feeble political times.

On the basis of nothing more than the evidence of the last five years, I will vote for the one that will probably prove to be a disappointment as opposed to the one that has already proved to be a disappointment.

I like to think of this advert from a candidate as a nice counterpoint to my post at #3 on this thread.

tyrone.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-27%20at%2018.24.13.png

Such anger.

I'm going to hazard a guess her husband ran off with the 17yr-old Islamic postman and kicked her dog as he left the home.

I m not voting for that stupid bitch, me and Esteban would have to cancel our plans.

Theresa May believes that a possible deal between the SNP and Labour will cause the worst crisis since 1936 and the abdication. She may be right but it will have to go some to be worse than 1939 and Hitler invading Poland.

Theresa May believes that a possible deal between the SNP and Labour will cause the worst crisis since 1936 and the abdication. She may be right but it will have to go some to be worse than 1939 and Hitler invading Poland.

I saw someone one mention this earlier today. They mentioned Suez, the Profumo affair, sterling devaluation, the three day week, the Iranian embassy hostages, the Brixton race riots, the Falklands, 9/11, 7/7. I was somewhat taken aback that they didn't mention The Big One.

What a thoroughly uninspiring bunch of half-witted donkey cocks we have to vote for this time around.

The distinct possibility of another coalition of drips is utterly off putting, more so than the pathetic slagging match nature of the election race itself.

A field of self serving arseholes all spitting venom at each other in the desperate attempt to make people actually think they give a flying shit about the average man.

And don't get me started on that stupid bint from oop north, horrible little creature that unfortunately seems to have more bollocks than any of the greasy cowards who represent the main 3.

I bet they all get their phones out when the self preservation society ringtone goes off.

Odd a Tory should say that, considering the only deal on record involving the Nats is the one with the Scottish Conservatives which propped up Salmand's minority government from 2007-2011.

Not old enough to remember 1936 or 1939, I'd put the 1992 ERM crisis as the worst I've known - during that afternoon as the Tories frantically tried to shore up their failed monetary policies with hourly increases in the interest rate, wasting £6bn in a few hours, quietly screwed the tops on my pens, tidied my desk and left work, being convinced that anything I got in my pay packet at the end of the month wouldn't stretch to my mortgage repayments.

Though I'll be voting Labour on May 7th, rather more enthusiastically than I have for over 20 years, I do expect a clear, if unimpressive Conservative victory. That will prompt them to tear themselves apart over Europe and as a result the dissolution of the Union, at which time I may have to revisit my "worst crisis" top ten.

Last edited:
I saw someone one mention this earlier today. They mentioned Suez, the Profumo affair, sterling devaluation, the three day week, the Iranian embassy hostages, the Brixton race riots, the Falklands, 9/11, 7/7. I was somewhat taken aback that they didn't mention The Big One.

I'm somewhat taken aback they didn't include the reduction in size of the Curley Wurly or the rebranding of the Marathon bar. Some people have no understanding of the real issues affecting us normal folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669