Goalkeeping Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

Thought i'd start a new thread on the Goalkeeping department for next year's championship promotion fight. :icon_lol:

Let's try and keep this a Fulop free zone. It's time to get over him chaps.

So we've heard Henderson is apparently back off to Oz and to be honest as much as i like him i think it was obvious we would probably need better for the championship.

Martin came in and did a steady job in that department before he got injured. Whilst i thought he was ok, i was never that comfortable with him.

Pentney is obviously still a kid and i would think he will probably go out on loan next year to get some experiance in. It remains to be seen weather he will make it in the end but for those 10 mins against Swindon, he looked confident enough to say he may have a future in the game but weather that is with us i do not know.

Warner has his critics and i doubt he will be kept on at the end of the season. Good shot stopper, experianced but still flaps and there's a reason why he's been a number 2 for a lot of his career.

I am actually impressed with Stockdale and i feel very comfortable with him and he seems like he wants to play fo us too. He was geeing the crowd up at Hereford on saturday and then run the length of the pitch on Mon to celebrate. Shows a good spirit to me.

He has a huge kick on him and his shot stopping looks fine. Seems to have a bit of presence about him too and is always shouting instructions at the defence.

Can we see a future for stockdale at the club next year? Would you prefer one of the other keepers that we have seen this year or would you prefer us to go out and get someone completly new in?

From what I saw,and that was very little (highlighs on SSN),Stockdale looked a bit dodgy to me.He seemed to drop a lot of crosses/shots and some of his 'saves' looked more via luck than anything else.I think Martin is the best we have had,we seemed a lot better defensively with him,I'd expect him to be here next season

First I'd seen of him yesterday. Looked comfortable with Brown playing in defence and wasn't put under any pressure until he punched against his own bar. Mistakes happen. Other than that he looked okay.

Stockdale had an excellent game yesterday, but that was the only time ive seen him. No idea though as we'll probably get someone else completely different in

Well if Henderson is leaving (which looks likely), we will need to bring in two goalkeepers.....

Yesterday was the only time I've seen Stockdale, and thought he did alright but tends to parry/punch too much rather than catch... and not very convincly (ie when it went onto the bar). But, his positioning was good and he did get to them at least.

Thought his distribution was fantastic though.

Get Kelvin Davis in from Southampton.......he won't want to play League One shite, with Stockdale as No 2.

Behind Brown, Hobbs, Morrison & Gilbert (if he's here next season) we could play any keeper - as this season & six keepers suggests..........

Yesterday was the only time I've seen Stockdale, and thought he did alright but tends to parry/punch too much rather than catch... and not very convincly (ie when it went onto the bar). But, his positioning was good and he did get to them at least.

Thought his distribution was fantastic though.

His catching at Hereford was fine. Looked great there to be fair. Saved a good one on one at the end too. Like people have said his distribution looks excellent and he's a good comunicator with his defence.

I've seen him in most of his games for us now and i think he'd make a very competent keeper in the championship next year.

Personally i'd take him over any of the others i've seen. Martin would be a good number 2 but weather he'd wanna do that would be a guess.

I think a Goalkeeping squad of stockdale, martin and pentney would be fine imo.

I'd be amazed if Martin was allowed to come here as No.2,I would think he either comes here as No.1 or plays for Liverpool Reserves next season

liverpool, liverpool, liverpool....:icon_lol:

I was just talking about Martin (that his Martins club),sorry I fecking spoke:icon_roll Wasn't aware I mentioned them anywhere else in the LCFC part of the Forum

Last edited:
I was just talking about Martin (that his Martins club),sorry I fecking spoke:icon_roll Wasn't aware I mentioned them anywhere else in the LCFC part of the Forum

:icon_lol: its too easy sometimes :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_wink

I'd be amazed if Martin was allowed to come here as No.2,I would think he either comes here as No.1 or plays for Liverpool Reserves next season

Yeah don't disagree with you there.

You've said that Martin looks the best to you. I just thought he didn't look like a goalkeeper in physique terms. Stockdale looks like a goalkeeper imo.

Then again you'd never have said kevin poole looked like a keeper but he was great for us.

Yeah don't disagree with you there.

You've said that Martin looks the best to you. I just thought he didn't look like a goalkeeper in physique terms. Stockdale looks like a goalkeeper imo.

Then again you'd never have said kevin poole looked like a keeper but he was great for us.

I don't know EF,I've not seen any of them play,I'm just going by how the defence did when Martin was in goal and it seemed more settled and we conceeded less but that might be down to him playing more games and forming an understanding with the back four etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669