Speculation Heskey - Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on ability, i think he could be useful, but he would be behind Nugent and Beckford for a starting spot, So i don't think we would get good value out of him.

Sorry no Heskey for me,he has been a great player in the past ,and i remember his good days at leicester,but i feel now that hes way past his best ,i think we want a young side ,and players that will put thereselves out and play for our great club ,and play for the shirt i just dont think he can do it now .

He's so far past it at this point.

I know a Villa fan who regards him as the worst Villa player he's ever seen. :icon_conf

Don't need him anyway, but sadly he's no good anymore and hasn't been for a long time.

I'd have him back at City, not because he used to play for us, but for the fact he could easily do a job at this level. Carlton Cole pissed all over us at the KP a few weeks back which and if Nige wants someone to play a similar role to that, then Heskey could do it no problem.

Wages could be an issue as I'd much rather see us move away from the 'big name' 40k per week signings as it's not needed at this level, but if Heskey is prepared to accept a lower wage to play for a team he has passion for then I say we should go for it as he would definitely add something which we are lacking.

Astonishing lack of appreciation for a very good player here. Surely there are some people who've watched us this season and seen the ball constantly not sticking up front that think that a better option here would add value?

EH is one of the best in the business at retaining possession, adding a physical presence and making space for colleagues. He's also a master (all learnt from Claridge by the way) of winning set pieces to relieve pressure. At Championship level, he'd be fantastic value next season and any opportunity to recruit him should be snapped up without hesitation.

If we continue to play the largely outdated 4-4-2 next season, we need to ensure that one of the forwards adds some attributes we've desperately lacked since Howard's legs went. I'd prefer him to Beckford in our line up every time. Even if we revert to 4-2-3-1, EH could be excellent as any one of the 3.

Last edited:
Astonishing lack of appreciation for a very good player here. Surely there are some people who've watched us this season and seen the ball constantly not sticking up front that think that a better option here would add value?

EH is one of the best in the business at retaining possession, adding a physical presence and making space for colleagues. He's also a master (all learnt from Claridge by the way) of winning set pieces to relieve pressure. At Championship level, he'd be fantastic value next season and any opportunity to recruit him should be snapped up without hesitation.

If we continue to play the largely outdated 4-4-2 next season, we need to ensure that one of the forwards adds some attributes we've desperately lacked since Howard's legs went. I'd prefer him to Beckford in our line up every time. Even if we revert to 4-2-3-1, EH could be excellent as any one of the 3.

So you'd replace a 14 goal striker with one who's scored once all season?

I'd have him back at City, not because he used to play for us, but for the fact he could easily do a job at this level. Carlton Cole pissed all over us at the KP a few weeks back which and if Nige wants someone to play a similar role to that, then Heskey could do it no problem.

Wages could be an issue as I'd much rather see us move away from the 'big name' 40k per week signings as it's not needed at this level, but if Heskey is prepared to accept a lower wage to play for a team he has passion for then I say we should go for it as he would definitely add something which we are lacking.

I do actually agree with that.

But then I'm not sure if it's because of left over sentiment from when he was here before.

Has anybody actually seen him play on a regular basis recently? Quite hard to judge otherwise. I wouldn't be completely averse to having him back though on the basis that, despite his reputation, he has still been a Premier League regular for the whole of his career without ever enjoying the luxury of being a goalscorer. Add to that being in the England squad just two years ago and surely, surely he still has something to offer at a lower level.

He'd without doubt be a step up from Howard and if Pearson ever thought he could do a job for us then I'd trust that decision. Can't see it happening myself though, I'd guess we'll be going for younger players with more to prove than the likes of Heskey.

Gerrim'in

If Howard has gone, then we will need someone to vilify and complain about for being utterly shite and past it

He fits the bill perfectly

Last edited:
If Howard has gone, then we will need someone to villify and complain about for being utterly shite and past it

He fits the bill perfectly

On tonight's performance we could put in a cheeky bid for John Terry, that would be a wi se move

On tonight's performance we could put in a cheeky bid for John Terry, that would be a wi se move

I really hope Hodgson is watching him play like the complete tool that we all know he is

Useless tosser

Comparing him to Howard is stupid as they are leagues apart. Howard has never been able to cut it in the Premiership whereas Heskey has played there all his career there pretty much. If we had Heskey back next year then it really would show up how much of a useless waste of space Howard has been over the past few years.

He may not bag a shed load of goals himself but I would say he would be worth another 20 on top of what he gets just on what he would bring to the team. That said, he'd obviously have to prove his fitness first as he hasn't played a massive amount of games this year but providing the signing was aproached in the same way as any other player and he proved his fitness and value, we should be first in the queue trying to sign him as he would still be a fantastic asset at this level.

He'd have been a better option on the bench this season than Howard. Tbh, I'd rather see a younger player with a decent aerial threat, rather than a lumbering Heskey who is about 25 years past his sell-by-date, and is now an icon among FIFA players for being terrible, if we're going to sign a 'target-man' at all...

if the right package can be worked out, he can do a job for us. my main concern would be, that the crowd could get frustrated when he dosen't score the goals expected and turn on him, which would be a disappointing end to his career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669