Speculation Heskey - Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't need a 27 yr old Heskey though otherwise he would just get taken off our hands again. The point I was trying to emphasize was that both Liverpool & England haven't had as good a strike partnership since then, they may have had individuals who have scored more than Heskey but they haven't been as good overall.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this but I don't agree with your final statement either as if he wasn't at Villa, either the old or current Sunderland managers would have both been willing to snap him up because they both worked with him for many years and realise how much he can bring to a team. I fully expect the current Sunderland manager to be trying to sign him this summer this summer and would have no doubt he would prove his worth there which is why he could easily offer us more than what we have now.

But he's nowhere near the same player he was when he was 27, and if he's nowhere near as good now then what's the point in shelling out a load of money in wages for him? He's older, slower, more injury prone... You say he would prove his worth at Sunderland - in the games I've seen him play for Villa, he's been nothing like Heskey of old and hasn't even come close to proving his worth there. A lot of their fans describe him as one of the worst players they've seen in a Villa shirt. If he's such a good foil for his team mates, why hasn't he shown that alongside Darren Bent, or Gabriel Agbonlahor? I agree that a few years ago he was a very good player, but now? He's had it unfortunately.

Last edited:
If the Mackems think he can do it for them, I don't we should stand in their way.

Best of luck to them.

And to him!

I'm sure their fans don't but it wouldn't surprise me if O Neill were to come in for him, likewise if Bruce was to get another job I'm sure he'd like him too.

Could do with Tony Cottee as a strike partner I reckon.

I don't see any reason why he would be more effective in the Championship than in the Premier League. If anything I think that the pace in the Championship is more frenetic and it's not as if he is a clinical finisher who could compensate for being off the pace. It's quite possible that MON might be quirky enough to sign him - experience good influence in the dressing room etc etc but I think Leicester should be looking forward not backwards and not providing a big pay day to a has been - no matter how generous he has been to his hometown club. I also suspect that returning to Leicester wouldn't be a happy experience for Heskey. The crowd aren't particularly forgiving towards struggling players on big money and then there's the factor of the comparison which would be made by longer standing performers who remembered how he played as a kid. I'm inclined to think that he would be better off playing a bit role for a struggling Premier League club - except that I'm finding it difficult to think of a more struggling outfit than the Villa who don't want him anymore.

We don't need a 27 yr old Heskey though otherwise he would just get taken off our hands again. The point I was trying to emphasize was that both Liverpool & England haven't had as good a strike partnership since then, they may have had individuals who have scored more than Heskey but they haven't been as good overall.

Although many people have called him useless (and worse) at present, this isn't really a debate about whether he was any good 7+ years ago.

We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this but I don't agree with your final statement either as if he wasn't at Villa, either the old or current Sunderland managers would have both been willing to snap him up because they both worked with him for many years and realise how much he can bring to a team. I fully expect the current Sunderland manager to be trying to sign him this summer this summer and would have no doubt he would prove his worth there which is why he could easily offer us more than what we have now.

We will certainly have to disagree because your talking bollocks (although I didn't realise that you knew MON & SB!).

In MON's final year at Villa, EH played 16 PL games, scoring 3 goals. That was over 2 years ago, and you'd struggle to argue that he's improved over that period.

With the possible exception of WBA (depending on who they get in), there is more chance of us winning the Champions' League next year than EH finding himself at Sunderland or above and playing next season. Madness.

I have talking bollocks? Wow! I never knew that and I had never known that you had seen them either.

But he's nowhere near the same player he was when he was 27, and if he's nowhere near as good now then what's the point in shelling out a load of money in wages for him? He's older, slower, more injury prone... You say he would prove his worth at Sunderland - in the games I've seen him play for Villa, he's been nothing like Heskey of old and hasn't even come close to proving his worth there. A lot of their fans describe him as one of the worst players they've seen in a Villa shirt. If he's such a good foil for his team mates, why hasn't he shown that alongside Darren Bent, or Gabriel Agbonlahor? I agree that a few years ago he was a very good player, but now? He's had it unfortunately.

That's the point though, we don't need a player to be as good as Heskey was 7yrs ago as he was playing at the top of the Premiership then week in week out. We need someone who would be able to cut it in the Championship which I think he would still be able to do. I can't really comment regarding watching him play for Villa as I haven't been to watch them at Villa park since Leicester last played there and seeing as TV opinions are worthless for Leicester players, I fail to see how 2 mins of highlights a week would be enough to base a valid opinion on, especially when there has been a post earlier in the thread arguing the opposite of your point.

Anyway, think this has gone on enough now as posts are getting personal, I have no issues with differences of opinions, it's the exact reason I come on here and why I post, but the overall point I was wanting to make was that I believe Heskey could still offer us something next season if Nige is interested and that he is massively over criticised just because people read bullshit stats about him in the paper or a joke stats hashtagging on twitter or some equally worthless media platform.

With the possible exception of WBA (depending on who they get in), there is more chance of us winning the Champions' League next year than EH finding himself at Sunderland or above and playing next season. Madness.

Dunno - stranger things have happened - I mean re Heskey & Sunderland - not us winning the Champion's League!

But I think Heskey will probably find it difficult to get a club except on a pay by appearance basis. He's doing his coaching badges and he may be best for him to retire as a full time player - player coach in League1?

Dunno - stranger things have happened - I mean re Heskey & Sunderland - not us winning the Champion's League!

But I think Heskey will probably find it difficult to get a club except on a pay by appearance basis. He's doing his coaching badges and he may be best for him to retire as a full time player - player coach in League1?

If he wants to keep playing he'll almost certainly end up at a struggling PL team or a wealthy Championship team.

He's been officially released today so expect the rumours to rack up a notch or two.

Told you ... ^^^

Danny Drinkwater‏@DazDrinkwater21

Heskeys coming home! :) quality player if it all works out. #Heskey #legend #yaite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669