Speculation Heskey - Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the stick he gets he is sitting in 16th place in the premier league goal scorers charts with 111 goals just 2 goals away from catching Ian Wright.

Or looking at it another way 15 goals in 111 games for Villa - and at his current rate of scoring, he will pass Ian Wright in August 2016.

You'll never make the case for signing Heskey in terms of his goalscoring.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with that, very little risk in offering him something like that. Can imagine he'll be after something more substantial, though.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with that, very little risk in offering him something like that. Can imagine he'll be after something more substantial, though.

The substantial bit will be the enormous salary we will have offered him

Only two players have managed over 100 Premier League goals without scoring a penalty - Heskey and Ferdinand.

He's also got the most appearances for a striker in Premier League history.

He may be a bit too old and knackered for the Premier League now but if he's still got the desire I would expect him to do well in the Championship.

[h=1]Emile Heskey arrives in Hull to discuss move to Leicester[/h]
After being released by Aston Villa, former England striker Emile Heskey is believed to have arrived in Hull to discuss a move to Leicester, missing his targeted destination by approximately 83 miles.
Heskey is believed to have veered off course after spotting some goalposts on a playing field on the A38 outside leicester.
The former Liverpool and Wigan frontman, who scored 9 goals for Aston Villa in 90 league appearances, is believed to be keen on a move back to his hometown club as soon as he’s worked out where it is.
Some Leicester City fans have expressed doubts over a possible move for Heskey, with some raising concerns that his best days are very much like the opposition goalmouth during games – behind him.
“I’ve spoken to a few Villa fans about his performances for them,” revealed Leicester fan Grant Harrison.
“They mostly seem to be of the opinion that he needs a sat-nav to find his way into the six-yard box.”
Leicester have not released any official statement regarding Heskey, but manager Nigel Pearson has revealed details of an exciting Brazilian talent that an unnamed agent has given the club first refusal on.
“I’ve not met the lad yet, but the agent has assured me that his first and second name end in an ‘O’ which means he’s guaranteed to be world class.”
“I think it was something like Emilio Heskinho.”

“That should get the fans excited.”

http://newsthump.com/2012/05/24/emile-heskey-arrives-in-hull-to-discuss-move-to-leicester/

Only two players have managed over 100 Premier League goals without scoring a penalty - Heskey and Ferdinand.

He's also got the most appearances for a striker in Premier League history.

He may be a bit too old and knackered for the Premier League now but if he's still got the desire I would expect him to do well in the Championship.

This.

I hope that Heskey doesn't sign, for two reasons;

1. Heskey is a City legend and I would hate for him to come and leave a lesser memory

2. I really do not believe that Heskey would be a Pearson signing. He would be a "glamour player" introduced at the insistence of the board and a manager should have his choice of players.

Last edited:

1. Heskey is a City legend and I would hate for him to come and leave a lesser memory

2. I really do not believe that Heskey would be a Pearson signing. He would be a "glamour player" introduced at the insistence of the board and a manager should have his choice of players.
Agree with both points.

I certainly agree with point 1. I can't imagine though that the owners/board will be keen to make a 'glamour signing' after the way they got their fingers burnt last season; nor can I imagine NP allowing the signing of anybody who he himself does not want 100%.

We have had Steve Howard for the last four seasons ( I stand corrected on this ). His job was to hold up the ball to allow the mid-field to arrive in an attacking position or to flick the long ball on to his striking partner. Did he succeed? Not in my opinion. I remember a match a few years ago when we played Palace and they had Jamie Scowcroft as their target man. Every ball that came to him, he found a team-mate. Every time Howard got the ball, he sent it on to a Palace player.

So,what can Heskey bring to us? If Pearson likes a target man, which he seems to do as an option, particularly late in the game, then Heskey is miles better than Howard. I remember in 1998 when we played Spurs just after Sol Cambell had an enormous World Cup, he could not get the ball off Heskey all match. I am not saying that he is still the same player, but at this level, he could really add experience to the team and some of the youngsters could really learn alot from him.

In addition, he did invest in the club after we went into administration, so that shows that his heart is still with us. He has played at the top level for the last 16 years, so he does not need the money. If we could offer him a contract including a coaching role a la Chris Powell, then I think it is a win-win situation.

Let us not criticise him for not scoring goals. He is a player who creates space for others and as such, is a great team player. I, personally, would love to see him back with us. The only problem is that I live in St Emilion, near Bordeaux, so I only get to 2/3 matches per season. By the way, that does not make me a non-supporter, I can assure you all that I am just as miserable as you lot on a Sunday after we have lost. My wife thinks that I am stupid, but then, what does she know about supporting Leicester City, she is French.

Now we're coming round people, that's better though TOF does raise two very valid points and I do see this as certainly like scenario 2 but I believe if he were to sign, scenario 1 wouldn't pan out.

It is a tough call but so long as he isn't given silly wages like we reportedly gave out last year then I say go for it!

odd recollection re sol campbell. i remember that sol seemed to have emile in his pocket every time they played against each other. maybe there was a match when the opposite was true?? irrelevant now as sol has hung his boots up and by october, we'll have a good idea whether emile should have followed suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669