Hinckley United - Saturday 29th July - pre-season friendly - DIRECTIONS ADDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Kick-off 3 p.m.

Other than confirmation that the game will take place at the Marston's Stadium, there seems to be a complete news blackout on this subject - there is nothing more about it on either of the clubs' official sites. This and the fact that City have a home game against Real Sociedad the previous evening leads me to think that this is not likely to be a 'first-team' game and will at best involve a few fringe players with Academy lads making up the rest of the team.

If I get any more details, I'll post them here.

Edit:
With just 5 days to go until this game takes place, both clubs appear to be keeping all details about it a secret. Nothing appears on the City site, other than the date of the fixture; this also appears on an unofficial Hinckley site, but there is nothing about it on what is claimed to be the official Hinckley United site (having said that there is nothing at all of much use there!)

Directions:
Most people probably won't want to follow the more circuitous route via the M69 but here are the directions and map for that option.

Leave the M69 at junction 1 and head north on the A5, signposted Nuneaton and Earl Shilton.
Straight over the roundabout and past the Limekilns Pub, then over the next roundabout.
At the Dodwells Bridge roundabout take the A47, signposted Earl Shilton, through the Dodwells Industrial Estate, this is the Normandy Way. Continue on this road, past the Tesco Warehouse and the Triumph motorbike factory, over three more roundabouts and past the Safeway/Morrisons supermarket.
At next traffic light crossroads go straight over signposted Earl Shilton. Carry on this road, down the hill where you will see the Stadium on your right.
At the next roundabout turn right, 3rd exit (please note that this is the B4668, not A447 as shown on the map below). Then entrance to the Marston Stadium is on your right.

hinckleymap.gif

Otherwise, take the A47 to and through Earl Shilton.
At roundabout, turn left onto B4668 (still shown as the A447 on StreetMap).
Marston Stadium is on your right.

StreetMap - ground is in bottom left square, about where it says 'Brick Kiln Hill'.

Public Transport:
If you are taking the train to Hinckley, you will find that the ground is about 3 miles from the station - quite a long walk! The 81 bus stops outside the ground on its way to Earl Shilton - runs every 15 minutes, journey time about 10 minutes - catch it at the stop in Regent Street, where you will find conveniently placed The Baron of Hinckley (Wetherspoons), The Cafe Bar and Branagans Bar Diner.

Each of the Arriva 158 and the Stagecoach 48 services run from Leicester to Hinckley every 20 minutes on a Saturday. They don't go past the ground but you can get off at Barwell and walk from there (around a mile), or you could take the 158/48 as far as Earl Shilton and there transfer to the 81.

A more detailed (and up to date) map of the area from Hinckley Town centre to the ground. X marks the spot.
hufc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hinckley United - Saturday 29th July - pre-season friendly

Can't make the Friday night game, so I'll go to this one - might be interesting to see some of the younger players, plus I've only been to Hinckley once before, many moons ago, it'll be a chance to check out some of the pubs.

Real Sharapova said:
I've only been to Hinckley once before, many moons ago, ...

Don't forget they've moved!

bocadillo said:
Don't forget they've moved!

it's in between Earl Shilton/Hinckley/Barwell

there are no pubs amazingly close by

nearest are in Barwell, i'd recommend The Queen's Head. The Cross Keys is nearest, a bit cliquey but i like the place

Cross Keys is on the road from the roundabout up to Barwell, all the other pubs are on the main road once you get to the centre of Barwell

oh and there is a bar in the Marston's

The bar inside the marstons is pretty decent really. I shall have a pint there before the game.

i recommend the blacksmiths :038:

lazzer said:
i recommend the blacksmiths :038:
:icon_lol: are you sure about that one?

Durham Fox said:
The bar inside the marstons is pretty decent really. I shall have a pint there before the game.
I assume it's in the main stand - hopefully I'll see you there, rail strike permitting.

Real Sharapova said:
I assume it's in the main stand - hopefully I'll see you there, rail strike permitting.

Its not actually, its behind the goal, cant miss it really. you can get a pass out to go back in there at half time too :038:

Durham Fox said:
Its not actually, its behind the goal, cant miss it really. you can get a pass out to go back in there at half time too :038:
Thanks.:038:

newtonfox said:
boc is there anymore info about this game prices and so on ;)

Nothing other than the date appears on our official site and this pile of shite appears to be what Hinckley rely on as theirs! An unofficial Hinckley site says that ground admission for next season will be £9 with an extra £1 for transfer to the stand - so perhaps that's what we will be paying.

Anybody going?

I'm going, I fancied a day out at one of the friendlies, and this is it.

I'm just shooting out in a mo (edit if you like, but there's no need)

Anybody fancy sorting a pre match meet in Hinckley?

newtonfox said:
Ive just rang them and the price for the game is £6 adults and £ 3 kids :038: :038:
the chap was not sure if the £1 add on for the main stand will apply

Cheers Newton. The price seems to confirm that they are not expecting many of our 'names' to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566