Historical Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
fcukcov said:
dont know whether this was rubbish but did I hear right that Juventus took their colours from Notts County after playing them in the anglo-italian cup?
They took their colours from Notts County, but it's nothing to do with the Anglo Italian cup.

and real madrid did the same with Leeds. Did they not?

admin said:
Leeds changed their colours to white in the sixties, to copy Real Madrid.[/QUOTE
oh if only it had brought them the same financial luck as Real. HA!

Fiorentina, AS Roma , and Napoli played in the Anglo Italian cup in the early seventies, before the competition changed to semi- pro sides.
Although no Serie A sides played in the 90's competition , teams like Brescia, Cremonese, and more so Genoa were decent outfits that probaly were above our equivilent standard of that time. Serie A was where most top players wanted to play in the late 80's and early 90's, and the Italian league had plenty of strength in depth.

Brauny Blue said:
Fiorentina, AS Roma , and Napoli played in the Anglo Italian cup in the early seventies, before the competition changed to semi- pro sides.
Although no Serie A sides played in the 90's competition , teams like Brescia, Cremonese, and more so Genoa were decent outfits that probaly were above our equivilent standard of that time. Serie A was where most top players wanted to play in the late 80's and early 90's, and the Italian league had plenty of strength in depth.

I was quite a big fan of Juventus in the late 90's. With Saturday morning channel 4 italian coverage and that bold guy whose on Eurosport all the time

Brauny Blue said:

But our top division teams played against them in the early seventies, so there were none of the mismatches you suggested.

Can't remember the exact requirements for entering the Anglo Italian when it first started, it looks like it was mostly top division teams involved, but it was won by Swindon in 1970, I think they were a third division team at the time but they beat Napoli 3-0 in the final.

Anglo Italian cup 1972:

Cagliari 1-0 Leicester
Atalanta 5-3 Leicester
Leicester 2-1 Cagliari
Leicester 6-0 Atalanta

I didn't refer to mismatches in the 70's, just stating that big clubs have played in this cup . Genoa v P vale in the 90's was a mismatch IMO and the standard of their 2nd division to ours was superior.

admin said:
Anglo Italian cup 1972:

Atalanta 5-3 Leicester
Leicester 6-0 Atalanta

now thats what you call a turn around. Were the games played in a mini league i.e. as the world cup/champions league is today before the knockout stages then?

fcukcov said:
I was quite a big fan of Juventus in the late 90's. With Saturday morning channel 4 italian coverage and that bold guy whose on Eurosport all the time

James Richardson. ;)

Brauny Blue said:
I didn't refer to mismatches in the 70's, just stating that big clubs have played in this cup . Genoa v P vale in the 90's was a mismatch IMO and the standard of their 2nd division to ours was superior.

Any mismatches there were appear to mainly favour the English teams.
For example Blackpool beat Vicenza 10-0 in one of the early competitions.

Port Vale v Genoa wasn't really much of a mismatch, Port Vale were a decent team at the time, and Genoa weren't. They drew in the group stages of the competition.

Don't know why you think Serie B is a good league, I don't think it's ever been that good.

fcukcov said:
now thats what you call a turn around. Were the games played in a mini league i.e. as the world cup/champions league is today before the knockout stages then?

At that time each team played two home and two away matches, and there were league tables for each country. The top team from each country played in the final.

admin said:
Any mismatches there were appear to mainly favour the English teams.
For example Blackpool beat Vicenza 10-0 in one of the early competitions.

Port Vale v Genoa wasn't really much of a mismatch, Port Vale were a decent team at the time, and Genoa weren't. They drew in the group stages of the competition.

Don't know why you think Serie B is a good league, I don't think it's ever been that good.

Genoa 5 P Vale 2.

Italian sides triumphed 3-1 in the 90's.

IMO Serie B had the edge over our teams . Did i say that Serie B was a good league?

Brauny Blue said:
Italian sides triumphed 3-1 in the 90's.

IMO Serie B had the edge over our teams .

It was a cup competition, where any team can win with a bit of luck, so the 3-1 statistic isn't very reliable. You'd get a better idea by looking at the results of the teams in the group stages. In the four years the competition ran in the nineties, the English teams had a better record than the Italians.

Brauny Blue said:
Did i say that Serie B was a good league?

You said it was better than our second tier, but I don't think there's evidence to support that, certainly not based on results between the teams.

fcukcov said:
admin said:
Leeds changed their colours to white in the sixties, to copy Real Madrid.
oh if only it had brought them the same financial luck as Real. HA!

I think Real's debts are probably far greater than those of Leeds. It's just that some clubs can get away with it!

Cheers for the help. I have to say, that Soccerbase website is a bit impressive!

I reckon it must have been that 1990/1991 game - making my first Leicester game 22nd September 1990.

Thanks again!

spenno said:
Cheers for the help. I have to say, that Soccerbase website is a bit impressive!

I'm less impressed with the fact that it has taken until now for you to find it!!
:056:

admin said:
It was a cup competition, where any team can win with a bit of luck, so the 3-1 statistic isn't very reliable. You'd get a better idea by looking at the results of the teams in the group stages. In the four years the competition ran in the nineties, the English teams had a better record than the Italians.

You said it was better than our second tier, but I don't think there's evidence to support that, certainly not based on results between the teams.

IMO there was no fluke about the Italians coming out better, and of the matches that i viewed from the finals they were in general the better teams. I standby my view that they had the edge over us.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669