Post Match Hull 1 Leicester 1 AET (league cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I am a bit confused by those who, "Don't care about exiting a tin pot cup" (or words to that effect): I would heartily agree that Premier League status is more important, but are we likely to win the league? Why wouldn't you want ANY silverware?

This is not a criticism of our team selection, as we need to keep players, outside the first team, happy and match fit.

Spot on

Some people have genuinely forgotten what football is all about - I just can't understand people who think we are too good for this competition, and that finishing sixth in the League is somehow more rewarding than winning a cup. It's bizarre.

I'm gutted that we're out

Having said that, I thought it was completely the right thing to play the reserves, who should have been good enough to beat a very average team. The disappointing thing is that they failed so miserably. Inler and Kramaric are a real mystery - they appear to be complete duffers, and nowhere near good enough for the first team.

And a trip to Wembley to watch Leicester City playing in a cup semi final ? What's not to love about that ?

Modern football fans are shit

Spot on

And a trip to Wembley to watch Leicester City playing in a cup semi final ? What's not to love about that ?

Modern football fans are shit

Oh I don't know Homer, I mean it's not as though every modern football fan would struggle to afford the possibility of two trips to Wembley a few weeks apart now is it? And the increased ticket prices due it being held at our hallowed national stadium shouldn't be an issue.

I mean London is the centre of the footballing universe after all, and it's not like reaching the final is anymore of an achievement than a semi final is it?

I reckon we should have the quarters there as well, to make more money for the FA and pay for it's lovely over budget stadium quicker, I hate to see the FA struggling, they barely have two golden goblets to rub together.

These modern football fans who see getting to Wembley as the pinnacle are proper shit.

Though I think the euphoria and agony of our cup exploits should be in the DNA of being a City fan (I'll take to my grave the memory of Lady Isobel Barnett failing to convert that Route 1 question in the Quizball semi we lost to Ian Ure's Arsenal ) - I was pretty much reconciled to the outcome when the team was announced. When the first name on the teamsheet is Schwarzer, you probably haven't thought through the mechanics of the possible shoot-out at the end of the night.

I'm not sure Hull were even a "very average team", as they're putting out a second-string XI throughout this competition also, though at least Brucie had the nous to put a few (3?) first teamers at the back to snuff out whatever threat we could muster. I'd have thought Schmeichel could have played, and Simpson, Fuchs and possibly Kante could probably do with more game time. Last night does raise the question of what happens if we get a Bournemouth-style run of injuries, or even one or two to key attackers out for a few games.

I'd have thought Schmeichel could have played, and Simpson, Fuchs and possibly Kante could probably do with more game time. Last night does raise the question of what happens if we get a Bournemouth-style run of injuries, or even one or two to key attackers out for a few games.

Does the second point not answer the first point?

Not wanting to win cups is as daft to me as stating; staying in the Championship would provide a better spectacle than being promoted and being dicked on week in week out.

Gutted about the result. Quarter final appearance just helps the confidence grow.

I would love more than anything to see Leicester back at Wembley lifting one of the major trophies.

See you all next season.The three newly promoted teams will all probably be relegated as Villa and Sunderland will be able to spend bigger in January.
You are far enough ahead to withstand a few injuries.
I need to start saving up for Wembley again.Li"l Hull City-who would have thunk it?

Oh I don't know Homer, I mean it's not as though every modern football fan would struggle to afford the possibility of two trips to Wembley a few weeks apart now is it? And the increased ticket prices due it being held at our hallowed national stadium shouldn't be an issue.

I mean London is the centre of the footballing universe after all, and it's not like reaching the final is anymore of an achievement than a semi final is it?

I reckon we should have the quarters there as well, to make more money for the FA and pay for it's lovely over budget stadium quicker, I hate to see the FA struggling, they barely have two golden goblets to rub together.

These modern football fans who see getting to Wembley as the pinnacle are proper shit.
Having the semi as well as the final there takes away the interest in this for me.

You go to the national stadium for the pinnacle of a competition, not the pre game show.

Though I think the euphoria and agony of our cup exploits should be in the DNA of being a City fan (I'll take to my grave the memory of Lady Isobel Barnett failing to convert that Route 1 question in the Quizball semi we lost to Ian Ure's Arsenal ) -.

Sadly I remember this! For the record, the Finals were as follows :
1966-1967 Arsenal 7 Dunfermline Athletic 3
1967-1968 Nottingham Forest 1 West Bromwich Albion 2
1969-1970 Celtic 3 Hearts 1
1970 (Champions Series) Celtic 7 Everton 5
1970-1971 Derby County 4 Crystal Palace 2
1971-1972 Dunfermline Athletic 3 Leicester City 1 (celeb guest Nicholas Parsons)

I wanted to win and was disappointed by the result. I would have been more dissapointed if we'd lost to Palace though. The biggest let down was the performances of some of the so called big guns. I hoped the likes of inler and kramaric would have shown their true class, though I am left wondering whether it actually exists.

I don't think anybody has said that they are happy that we lost or that they wanted us to lose; I'm just not fussed that we did. A win would have been better, of course.

I thought team selection was right. A few weeks ago our second XI beat West Ham's first XI, so why not go for it again with the confidence and morale even higher with our performances since then.

Differences between the two games. Last night we had Okazaki for Ulloa, De Laet for Simpson and Chilwell for Fuchs. Chilwell was MOTM so that was not a mistake.
So were Okazaki and de Laet crap, or were the whole team below par compared to the West Ham game?
Or did being in 'Orrible 'Ull instead of at the King Power make a difference?
Did we look more likely to win when Vardy and Mahrez came on? Should they have come on sooner?

I never heard the commentary so do not what happened in detail. Was the Mahrez penalty a fair effort saved or did he try a 'Kermogant' ?

I think this match showed us that our strength in depth is not as good as it appears and if we are serious about cementing our position in the top half of the table we may need to spend some more money in January. We can't look at how much players cost to assess our depth. I am so disappointed that Kramaric can't seem to get it going. I was over from the States last year and saw him play at Arsenal where he was unbelievable. Also Inler is of course not even close to Cambiasso so that didn't work out as we all were hoping

I thought team selection was right. A few weeks ago our second XI beat West Ham's first XI, so why not go for it again with the confidence and morale even higher with our performances since then.

Differences between the two games. Last night we had Okazaki for Ulloa, De Laet for Simpson and Chilwell for Fuchs. Chilwell was MOTM so that was not a mistake.
So were Okazaki and de Laet crap, or were the whole team below par compared to the West Ham game?
Or did being in 'Orrible 'Ull instead of at the King Power make a difference?
Did we look more likely to win when Vardy and Mahrez came on? Should they have come on sooner?

I never heard the commentary so do not what happened in detail. Was the Mahrez penalty a fair effort saved or did he try a 'Kermogant' ?
It was a fair effort saved, although he placed it at a comfortable height for the keeper.

I spent most the match wondering how De Laet got in our team for the first 6 or 7 games, he was woeful.

Inler was once again inept. Kramaric is starting to look more and more like the biggest waste of money since Akinbiyi, although Okazaki didn't do much better. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about our striker situation now - an injury or loss of form to Vardy and we're bolloxed.

Didn't we make 10 changes? I'm not saying they didn't do themselves a disservice but you can't expect 10 players to click in a system that they've not played together before and storm a team.

If they are called upon to fill a gap in the team, a team that is well gelled and playing well, then they will perform differently to last night. Don't stress.

The Leicester penalty hoodoo continues. Almost as inevitable as England losing on penalties...

Didn't we make 10 changes? I'm not saying they didn't do themselves a disservice but you can't expect 10 players to click in a system that they've not played together before and storm a team.

If they are called upon to fill a gap in the team, a team that is well gelled and playing well, then they will perform differently to last night. Don't stress.

Didn't we change 10 or 11 players against West Ham in the last round? Pretty much everybody played brilliantly that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566