iPad - alternative to 'drag and drop'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tempted by an iPad but it's bugging me that you don't seem to be able to drag and drop files from a PC.

Why do you want an iPad rather than an Android tablet?
Is it because they look pretty or is there some functionality you can only get with an ipad?

I bought a cheap 7" Android tablet a couple of months ago (should have been £110, I got it for £70) and I've been surprised how much I've used it. I thought I'd just take it with me when I go out, instead of taking my netbook, but I use it a lot around the house too.
The 7" size means it will still (just) fit in a pocket, but it's much easier to browse the web and type on than a phone.

Is it because they look pretty or is there some functionality you can only get with an ipad?

Maybe I'm getting sucked in by the hype. The display is really impressive though.

I bought a cheap 7" Android tablet a couple of months ago (should have been £110, I got it for £70) and I've been surprised how much I've used it.

I was really tempted to buy this until I actually saw one in PC World. Unless you were looking directly at the screen the display was awful. An iPad display on the other hand.....

I appreciate what you say about the convenience of the 7" tablets, that's why I really want to see the Asus Nexus 7 before taking the plunge.

I bought a cheap 7" Android tablet a couple of months ago (should have been £110, I got it for £70) and I've been surprised how much I've used it. I thought I'd just take it with me when I go out, instead of taking my netbook, but I use it a lot around the house too.
The 7" size means it will still (just) fit in a pocket, but it's much easier to browse the web and type on than a phone.

I bought an android pad (Kindle Fire) and used if for 6 months but couldn't see anyway I could use this as a business tool, the iPad I bought to replace the Fire works perfectly as a tool in my sales role, I can do just about anything I would do on my laptop without having to carry the laptop.

I am not generally an Apple fan but until Android or Microsoft delivers a coherent pad device which can do the things I need to do for work in a user friendly way the iPad is the only choice.

You obviously have more 'techie' friends than I do. When I try and refer somebody I get blank looks!

If you use their android or iPhone app and use the auto upload feature for your photos, you get a free GB for every GB you upload up to 5GB.

Edit: it needs to be the beta version from their website.

Last edited:
If you use their android or iPhone app and use the auto upload feature for your photos, you get a free GB for every GB you upload up to 5GB.

Edit: it needs to be the beta version from their website.

Cheers Matt, though I suppose that means I have to uninstall the working Dropbox app from my Android and install the (risky?) beta version :icon_cry:

Cheers Matt, though I suppose that means I have to uninstall the working Dropbox app from my Android and install the (risky?) beta version :icon_cry:

I don't know to be honest, but I've been using the beta for about 6 months with no problem.

However, the new iPad is one very sexy piece of kit IMHO and until I have seen (and ruled out) the new Asus Nexus 7 (chance would be a fine thing as everyone is sold out before they even have stock!) or until a 10" Android device running JellyBean comes along then a purchase of an iPad gets ever closer.

I have now decided that sexy or not, I wouldn't be happy with the Apple limitations so will steer clear of the iPad for now.

PC World have a Disgo tablet that claims to use the same screen as an iPad v2 and it looks pretty good but again some limitations. Actually got hold of an Asus Nexus 7 today and I was a bit disappointed after looking forward to seeing one.

As a result of my inner turmoil I started looking at cheap 7" tablets and have just ordered a £79.99 one from eBuyer on the grounds that it will do me until the market settles down (or until I know what I actually want!) Plus, it's pocket sized, will take my 3G dongle and most of all it will drag and drop as I wanted originally :icon_bigg

I have now decided that sexy or not, I wouldn't be happy with the Apple limitations so will steer clear of the iPad for now.

PC World have a Disgo tablet that claims to use the same screen as an iPad v2 and it looks pretty good but again some limitations. Actually got hold of an Asus Nexus 7 today and I was a bit disappointed after looking forward to seeing one.

As a result of my inner turmoil I started looking at cheap 7" tablets and have just ordered a £79.99 one from eBuyer on the grounds that it will do me until the market settles down (or until I know what I actually want!) Plus, it's pocket sized, will take my 3G dongle and most of all it will drag and drop as I wanted originally :icon_bigg

:038: Good for you, a wise choice, I'm sure. Have fun with it

:038: Good for you, a wise choice, I'm sure. Have fun with it

Arrived this morning. Had already put 17GB of music onto a micro SD card, plugged in and recognised immediately. Dragged and dropped some more stuff over with no problem. Able to connect using my 3G dongle even though it isn't on the 'officially supported' list of dongles for this device.

Only slight niggle is that the screen resolution and clarity isn't the best but at less than £80 it was hardly going to be iPad quality!

Early days but so far delighted with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669