Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister got one yesterday too...I still can't see the fascination with them.

All I can think of is all of the books that I can have and I won't need bookshelves to keep them on. Thousands of them......

And so many of them are FREE!!! ooooh it's like Aladdin's Cave on Amazon looking through the Kindle Store!

But you can put them on your phone/laptop/iPad - things which can do other things too. I've got the 1001 books torrent downloaded and a 603 books one, which is more than I'm reading during the remainder of my life if I'm honest.

I pop graphic novels on the phone and Mac because they cost so damn much but, for me, nothing beats sitting down with a real book and a cuppa.

But you can put them on your phone/laptop/iPad - things which can do other things too. I've got the 1001 books torrent downloaded and a 603 books one, which is more than I'm reading during the remainder of my life if I'm honest.

I pop graphic novels on the phone and Mac because they cost so damn much but, for me, nothing beats sitting down with a real book and a cuppa.

agreed :icon_bigg

yup!
Plus I've tried using the Kindle on my Android phone and it's pants.

At least a Kindle is normal booksize and with the screen being how it is, it's almost as good as having a real book.

With the amount of travelling I do on coaches throught the summer months it will be a lot easier for me to have that than have 2 or 3 books in my bag.

Kindle 3g

Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I'm really impressed with the Kindle 3g I bought at brum airport this morning. I've arrived in Brussels and am now posting using the free 3g access (which claims to be global). Alright it is greyscale but perfectly legible and free is my favourite price.

The benefits of free 3g globally, 1 month bttery life. a decent reading format and not hving a flat battery in the phone far outway the cost of the unit imo.

So you can use it as a browser anywhere that has 3g reception?

So you can use it as a browser anywhere that has 3g reception?

Almost. They don't have deals with all mobile networks but I think most of the UK is covered.

It's not that easy to use as a browser (no mouse or touch screen), it's pretty slow, and it's black and white.
They could also decide to charge for 3g in the future, or restrict the use of the browser, as it's listed as an 'experimental' feature.

wouldnt it be nice to have a device that you could browse the internet on any where in the world for free. Does anyone know of one?

wouldnt it be nice to have a device that you could browse the internet on any where in the world for free. Does anyone know of one?

The 3g can use the cellnetwork in a large part of the world for free. As Jeff says it isn't the best web experience but is ok for free.

I can confirm it worked great for 3G in Hawaii. I browsed TB a fair amount on my honeymoon. I realise this does raise questions over my sexlife! Seriously though, the kindle is great. I use mine everyday despite being a bit umconvinced on the concept before I got it. I have a load of PDFs of my study reference material, novels, travel guides etc on there. The battery life is superb, it doesn't strain your eyes etc.

One drawback, it in not backlit and there is no option for it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669