Post Match Leicester 1 Barnsley 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he get that opportunity? It will be interesting to see how committed to Pearson the board are. If Top & his dad feel that NP has lost the fans, who I understand were not best pleased (again!) after this match; why should he bankroll Pearson to buy players that will not suit another manager in a few months?

The Thais have stayed away for a few games since np started to struggle, most worrying scenario would be them getting bored with their expensive toy.

We've got problems. The main one being that our owners want promotion and fast (that isn't an issue in itself), and believe that splashing cash is guaranteed to make that happen. With that in mind I'm afraid they have the wrong man for the job. I rate Pearson but I don't think he is compatible with the ambitions of the owners.

I have faith that, given two or three seasons, Pearson could build a team capable of promotion. Personally I'm happy to wait that long (we've been out of the top flight for a long time already, a couple more years won't hurt). Indeed I'd quite like to see a proper rebuild and year on year progress. But that's not what these owners are about. They want to make a profit from the club in the short term and that means us being in the Premier League pronto. That being the case, there's a man who has just become available who is about as close to a guarantee of success at this level as you will find. I'd be amazed if the thoughts (if not the actions) of the owners aren't already wandering in Neil Warnock's direction.

Last edited:
Spot on Luke, we are seen as nothing more than a juicy fat cash cow by average players and astute agents who have realised we are so desperate for promotion that he will pay ridiculous wages to any player we wish to sign. Would really like to see Pearson go back to bringing in young hungry premiership reserves and install a wage cap of no more than 10k per week. We have a squad full of mercenaries who have little or no affection for the club and even less desire to die for the cause. That includes many of Pearsons old guard who have all benefitted from extended lucrative contracts.

That is not Pearsons doing but this mentality has to change we need to instill some reality and stop rewarding what can only be described as mediocrity, the clubs stance has changed so much since Pearsons last tenure and it needs to change back quickly.

I think that goes a long way to sum the situation up for me. I suspect Pearsons indications a couple of times recently of 'other issues/factors' regarding the players hints at this.

You have to hope the owners knew what they were getting with Pearson.

We've got problems. The main one being that our owners want promotion and fast (that isn't an issue in itself), and believe that splashing cash is guaranteed to make that happen. With that in mind I'm afraid they have the wrong man for the job. I rate Pearson but I don't think he is compatible with the ambitions of the owners.

I have faith that, given two or three seasons, Pearson could build a team capable of promotion. Personally I'm happy to wait that long (we've been out of the top flight for a long time already, a couple more years won't hurt). Indeed I'd quite like to see a proper rebuild and year on year progress. But that's not what these owners are about. They want to make a profit from the club in the short term and that means us being in the Premier League pronto. That being the case, there's a man who has just become available who is about as close to a guarantee of success at this level as you will find. I'd be amazed if the thoughts (if not the actions) of the owners aren't already wandering in Neil Warnock's direction.

Pearson fashioned the awful mess left by Holloway pretty quickly in to a decent squad and capable team. Theres no reason to think he can't do it again.

Pearson was a mistake. Where is the evidence that over two or three seasons he will build a team? He didn't last time: he added a few players to what we had. He didn't dismantle Hull and rebuild over seasons either. Where is the evidence that he is capable of this? All I have seen is a man whose bombast is such that the Radio Leicester interviewers wet themselves at the prospect of mentioning any criticism of the great Nigel to his face.

Pearson was a mistake. Where is the evidence that over two or three seasons he will build a team? He didn't last time: he added a few players to what we had. He didn't dismantle Hull and rebuild over seasons either. Where is the evidence that he is capable of this? All I have seen is a man whose bombast is such that the Radio Leicester interviewers wet themselves at the prospect of mentioning any criticism of the great Nigel to his face.

There isn't any. The evidence is it takes him much less time than that, as you've just indicated.

Last edited:

Is this a joke? He kept 2 or 3 players in his time before (Howard, Oakley and Fryatt), but most of our players before were his signings or players he brought into the first team in the case of King and Fryatt was a squad player whose confidence was completely shot. When we played Hull, all 11 of Hull's players were his signings, he completely dismantled them and rebuilt them for the better.

He did at Hull exactly what he has to do here: came in to a side of big name overpaid mercanaries and turned it into a side of young hungry players with something to prove.

Last edited:
is this a joke? He kept 2 or 3 players in his time before (howard, oakley and fryatt), but most of our players before were his signings and fryatt was a squad player whose confidence was completely shot. When we played hull, all 11 of hull's players were his signings, he completely dismantled them and rebuilt them for the better.

He did at hull exactly what he has to do here: Came in to a side of big name overpaid mercanaries and turned it into a side of young hungry players with something to prove.
Spot. On.

Last edited:
Pearson fashioned the awful mess left by Holloway pretty quickly in to a decent squad and capable team. Theres no reason to think he can't do it again.

I don't think we should make too much of what Pearson did in League One. We had one of the biggest budgets in that division and were one of the most attractive for players to join at that level. Pearson getting instant success in the third tier wasn't him doing a great job. It was him doing the minimum required.

His season in the Championship with us is a different matter entirely, of course. He did an excellent job considering we had just been promoted. But he did have the advantage (of his own making) of momentum from the title winning season, something he can't rely on now. Although it's worth remembering that what Pearson achieved whilst here wasn't particularly astonishing historically. We yo-yo between the top two divisions and as such 5th in this league is about the minimum we should be aiming for. Pearson doesn't feature amongst our best ever managers (I know you haven't claimed he does, but to listen to some you would think he was up there with Gillies), he simply managed us to our best position in one of our most disappointing eras.

As it happens I strongly believe that given enough time Pearson can fashion "a decent squad and capable team". In fact he can probably do better than that given the resources available to him now. The problem is that I do not believe the owners will give him enough time, and I think that Warnock is one of the few managers capable of delivering promotion within the parameters of the owners' impatient approach.

This isn't me calling for Pearson's head. If anything this is me pleading with the owners to show a bit of patience.

I don't think we should make too much of what Pearson did in League One. We had one of the biggest budgets in that division and were one of the most attractive for players to join at that level. Pearson getting instant success in the third tier wasn't him doing a great job. It was him doing the minimum required.

His season in the Championship with us is a different matter entirely, of course. He did an excellent job considering we had just been promoted. But he did have the advantage (of his own making) of momentum from the title winning season, something he can't rely on now. Although it's worth remembering that what Pearson achieved whilst here wasn't particularly astonishing historically. We yo-yo between the top two divisions and as such 5th in this league is about the minimum we should be aiming for. Pearson doesn't feature amongst our best ever managers (I know you haven't claimed he does, but to listen to some you would think he was up there with Gillies), he simply managed us to our best position in one of our most disappointing eras.

As it happens I strongly believe that given enough time Pearson can fashion "a decent squad and capable team". In fact he can probably do better than that given the resources available to him now. The problem is that I do not believe the owners will give him enough time, and I think that Warnock is one of the few managers capable of delivering promotion within the parameters of the owners' impatient approach.

This isn't me calling for Pearson's head. If anything this is me pleading with the owners to show a bit of patience.

If they have brought Pearson in without the plan of building for a good push next season they chose totally the wrong man. Fingers crossed.

If they have brought Pearson in without the plan of building for a good push next season they chose totally the wrong man. Fingers crossed.

I'm not convinced that there is anyone in a senior position at the club who knows anything about running a football club, this probably means they have no concept of reality.

Jason Bourne Jason Bourne @JasonBourne1986 3m
Nigel Pearson on 104.9 FM "Maybe we've got delusions of grandeur here" #LCFC

I think it should be made clear that NP was talking about the fans and their expectations when he said this.

Last edited:

I think they bargained on him at least making a push for the play offs. They certainly sacked Eriksson early enough for that to be a possibility. It seems to me that our performances have worsened since Pearson returned. I can cope with that in the hope that things will improve later on. I'm not sure that the owners can though.

I think it should be made clear that NP was talking about the fans and their expectations when he ssaid this.

He is right. In my view many of our supporters have been fooled into believing that we have an automatic right to challenge for promotion by our summer spending (it really doesn't matter that the bulk of it was on just a couple of players - we still spent it).

He completely rebuilt the Hull team and they look like an extremely competent outfit at present.

The game before he took over at Hull, the line-up was:
Matt Duke; Bernard Mendy, Steven Mouyokolo, Anthony Gardner, Andy Dawson; Will Atkinson, George Boateng [captain], Tom Cairney, Kevin Kilbane (Geovanni 76); Mark Cullen, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Fagan 84).

And he left them with:
Peter Gulacsi, Liam Rosenior, James Chester, Jack Hobbs, Andy Dawson, Cameron Stewart, Paul McKenna, Corry Evans (Dudgeon 87), Robert Koren, Aaron Mclean, Matty Fryatt.

He is right. In my view many of our supporters have been fooled into believing that we have an automatic right to challenge for promotion by our summer spending (it really doesn't matter that the bulk of it was on just a couple of players - we still spent it).
Correct. Ideas above our stations. Its not the first time that a team has splashed a load of money with little to show for it.

Correct. Ideas above our stations. Its not the first time that a team has splashed a load of money with little to show for it.

Deluded to expect better football than on display today? Put that in the next season ticket brochure and see how they sell. If the club and manager think they will survive on performances like this they are the deluded ones.

Deluded to expect better football than on display today? Put that in the next season ticket brochure and see how they sell. If the club and manager think they will survive on performances like this they are the deluded ones.

I would think that Pearson's comments were made with reference to fans' expectations in general, rather than just to today's inept display. I heard fans booing after both the Ipswich and Portsmouth games. We drew those ffs.

Listening to those who sit around me, it's clear that many of our fans believe we should be winning every game. When has that ever happened? I can only think that expectations are so high because of last summer's spending. Never mind that most of it was spent on absolute sh*t, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669