Post Match Leicester 1 Bristol City 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. It didn't take long for my confidence in the team & manager to fail dramatically.

Embarrasing.

Reasons for this are beyond me. Sven doesn't seem to have any influence on the players at all. We just picked up from Reading and carried on. All that bollocks from the players saying they had a midweek game to set things right? well I saw no evidence of any of that.

They had 2 shots on traget and a missed penalty ?

I don't believe it's mental at all. It's more down to our tactics and the fact that we don't really have the options, despite signing 11 players, to change those tactics.

4-4-2 might work if we had more than one natural winger in the whole squad. And a winger who is an average Championship player at best. Given that Howard seems to be nowhere near the first team we also have no target man. Not that you need a target man necessarily in a 4-4-2 system but it would be a good option. With Schlupp being young and inexperienced, Waghorn being Waghorn (sorry he hit your missus Spion - i'm guessing she was standing nearer the corner flag than the goal) and Kermogant being useless, we realistically have one striker of note in the whole squad.

Individually I think most if not all of the summer signings are good players. But the assembling of a balanced squad with options to change tactics is not there.

I agree definite penalty and Fernandes was lucky not to be sent off after some very rash challenges.

Totally agree. The bitching from our players towards the ref (who did very little wrong) summed up just how desperate we are at the moment.

General summary of what's wrong from the last couple of matches:

Our central defenders are having far too much of the ball. Neither are great passers and they need to give the ball to a play maker in midfield and it isn't happening enough.

Both full backs are defenders first and last. They are better than we had there last season but without the likes of Naughton and Van Arnholt bombing forwards, we need creativity and pace from elsewhere and there isn't any.

There are too many players who want to piss about in central midfield without any attacking instinct. King tried on a couple of occasions but it's far too little.

Nugent is an excellent addition but is desperately isolated. No other attacker is playing anywhere near good enough. Gallagher appears to think he's now a much better player than he actually is. But he's not the only one.

We've recruited a lot of players on big contracts and the collective squad are nervous, confused and seem to be expecting results without earning results. Teams can frustrate us so easily. If Steve McClaren was there tonight, his preparation for Saturday is easy.

In its own way, we're just as hapless and disorganised as we were this time last year. If Sven wants to last longer than Sousa, he'll need to pull his finger out sharpish.

Last edited:
Waghorn being Waghorn (sorry he hit your missus Spion - i'm guessing she was standing nearer the corner flag than the goal)

You're not too far off with that assumption :icon_bigg

I was so frustrated watching that. The lack of creativity is painful to watch. We are ridiculpusly easy to defend against. When we play the ball on the ground there is no width, pace or movement. And when we play it long there is nobody to aim at. As I said after Reading, I have no idea which system is the best one for us. The 4-5-1/4-3-3 is ineffective without creativity or pace in wide positions. A 4-4-2 would fail for the same reason. We have the players to go with a narrow diamond, I guess. Whichever formation we go out with we need to stop sitting so deep.

I'm a bit concerned about Matt Mills being dropped. I'm not sure that dropping a player who may already feel pressured by his large fee (and perhaps the captaincy at a new club) is the best way to manage his morale. I'd have given him another go. After St. Ledger's error we might now find ourselves with both our centre back additions low on confidence. Overall tonight has left me a little depressed. I don't know what we can do to improve performances. That's probably just negativity after a disappointing evening, but I'm at a loss at the moment.

I was as happy as a tramp with a fiver at 7pm, that shower of shite soon saw to my good mood though. Utter ****ing pants all round in a match that was almost identical to the Reading game.

They were marginally better than Saturday, particularly after the break when for about 15 minutes they played at pace. Another striker is not going to solve the problem because the ball never gets forward.

Still the same problems - the ball never leaving the midfield because no-one is moving into spaces. It is no good going over the top into the channels either because we cannot deal with the speed of our new super fast pitch.

I was particularly unimpressed by Gallagher trying woeful trick passes instead of keeping it simple. I would rather Howard came on at the end and Waghorn was shipped out on loan somewhere. The guy is an embarrassment and should never be allowed to take another free kick or corner again. If Gally and Dyer are going out wide then why isn't King pressing forward to support Nugent?

They are most guilty of both bad passing and waiting for the ball to come to them rather than going to meet it or run into some space.

I do not think it is crucial which formation Sven chooses to play, the players simply need to play at pace and look for space.

I just sat down to watch EL Classico with a cuppa and a waghorn wheel.

Not the best choice of biscuit ... reminded me of his lovely effort.

Ah but which one, the free kick that would have gone backwards in a stiff breeze or that rocket that narrowly missed the top of the north stand?

Results have been poor since the end of February. Sven has a messy (not Messi unfortunately) approach to management. He messed around with team selection when we got into a challenging position last season and now he thinks he has "two good players" for most positions. I don't think this approach is going to work. He paid out a big dollop of the owners money on Mills and the right thing was probably to back him not drop him. I'm not convinced that Sven is the best manager to succeed in this division - but naturally we all want to avoid upheaval and have to hope that things will improve quickly. The one good thing is the quick opportunity to make things better on Saturday......but too much money has been spent and too much pre- season propaganda has been pured out for this situation to continue for too long.

I do not think it is crucial which formation Sven chooses to play, the players simply need to play at pace and look for space.

I agree with this. I only mentioned formations previously to illustrate our lack of wide players. I'm not sure how much Eriksson can do about our lack of movement. He surely can't be telling them to stay so static. We get to about forty yards from goal and all movement ceases. I really don't understand it.

I agree. Over the years I've found that the team that plays with the greater pace generally wins. I think this is particularly the case in this division where pace and power and usually been the best option.

Results have been poor since the end of February. Sven has a messy (not Messi unfortunately) approach to management. He messed around with team selection when we got into a challenging position last season and now he thinks he has "two good players" for most positions. I don't think this approach is going to work. He paid out a big dollop of the owners money on Mills and the right thing was probably to back him not drop him. I'm not convinced that Sven is the best manager to succeed in this division - but naturally we all want to avoid upheaval and have to hope that things will improve quickly. The one good thing is the quick opportunity to make things better on Saturday......but too much money has been spent and too much pre- season propaganda has been pured out for this situation to continue for too long.
Spot on Redditch, carrying on where we left off last season, but with different, better players. It doesn't matter how good they are you need a settled side and to know that if you do well you will get a run. King our best player and highest scorer did not even start the first two games and was dropped as captain. His replacement Mills dropped without being given a chance to redeem Saturdays performance. Poor judgement and man management. Players who did well last season were inexplicably dropped. I suspect that there may be a lot of dissent and friction within the sqaud at the moment and thats translating on to the pitch, exactly what we had with Sousa.2 or 3 more losses in the next 5 games we will definitley have a crisis.

Blown it! Best to hope for now is the play-offs, already 6 points off the pace.

Even worse is that Maynard's price has doubled and a host of Premier League clubs have been alerted. If we'd beaten them and kept him quiet I was sure we'd get him, but no chance now.

The more and more I think about it the more I am convinced that Sven is buckling under the weight of expectation. Dropping 5 players including your captain after one poor performance is knee jerk to say the least and smacks of desperation. You would think that a manager of Svens experience would not make such naive decisions and I really fear the damage to squad morale and individuals confidence off the back of some of his decisions last night.

The likes of Mills and Schlupp must be the thinking WTF one bad game and I am out truly barking

This isn't a good start, no doubt about it. Attendees will know far more than me about how bad it really has been and we seem to need a spark.

But the fact is we won one game from 10 last year, were not looking great at Christmas and yet by Feb there were some fanciful but not out of this world suggestions we could make automatic promotion if we has continued the run.

Not making excuses and pretending all is well but to talk about the season being in big trouble etc is too soon. I can't believe we have a thread entitled Sven out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669