Post Match Leicester 2 Coventry 1

Casadei and Rak-Sakyi would be obvious improvements to the squad. 2 positions that we need to improve in. I like McAteer as a squad player, but not as a regular starter.

I also think we really need a centre forward. I’ve never seen Piroe play, but based on his goal scoring record at this level, if at all possible I’d try and make that signing happen.

opening game of the season which was a local Derby, against a team that narrowly missed out on promotion and are playing probably the biggest team in the league ( yes that us and we will have to own it).
Covscum were clearly up for it and they should have scored 4 (that is difference between the championship and the Premiere league), in the end we had too much quality especially coming off the bench and it showed.
as I have stated before we should win our first 5 games and then I think it is Southampton? let's see what happens, glass is defo half full.

You can absolutely see what this is all about (well BN won’t, obviously) and, when/if we get it going then it’s going to be spectacular football.

But the personnel simply ain’t right, so this is going to be a heart-stopping few weeks where we will look good on the ball, but a bit Keystone Kops without the ball

From an attacking point of view, it relies heavily on the two number 8s - KDH stepped up to the plate after a shaky first half, but Ndidi cannot play there, and will never be able to play there. Ever. ****ng Never.
Our attacking game changed completely when Praet replaced him and, unless we bring in somebody better, he has to play.

It’s similarly wholly reliant on a centre forward who can play with his back to goal, acting as a pivot for the two wide players and holding the game for the two attacking midfielders to join in. That is not Vardy’s game, never has been Vardy’s game, and probably never will be Vardy’s game. Nacho is the only man in the whole squad for that system, so has to play unless we find a new bloke who can do that

I thought Mcateer did ok, but he doesn’t look like a full blown natural winger, so bringing one in is an absolute must.

Defensively the whole set up demands quick, agile centre backs, and we don’t have any. With those two tossers in the side a long, quick ball over the top on transition will kill us time and time again. Vesty was bad, but Faes was ****ing awful and totally in the wrong place repeatedly. If Cov didn’t have two/three completely hopeless wankers up front they would have scored three or four more. If Coady is out for weeks, we need a new CB

On the positive side our resilience, and fitness, held up very well indeed. Mavididi looked very exciting, when we played the right ball to him. And Winks was excellent (apart fron giving them the ball twice in the last five minutes!). This system was tailor made for him, Ricardo, and Doyle

Soooo much to work on here, but I’m excited by what I see - as I said, if we get this right, it will be spectacular.

Might take a while….

Our players all look fitter and trimmer than last season. Especially Iheanacho, KD-H and Praet

You can absolutely see what this is all about (well BN won’t, obviously) and, when/if we get it going then it’s going to be spectacular football.

But the personnel simply ain’t right, so this is going to be a heart-stopping few weeks where we will look good on the ball, but a bit Keystone Kops without the ball

From an attacking point of view, it relies heavily on the two number 8s - KDH stepped up to the plate after a shaky first half, but Ndidi cannot play there, and will never be able to play there. Ever. ****ng Never.
Our attacking game changed completely when Praet replaced him and, unless we bring in somebody better, he has to play.

It’s similarly wholly reliant on a centre forward who can play with his back to goal, acting as a pivot for the two wide players and holding the game for the two attacking midfielders to join in. That is not Vardy’s game, never has been Vardy’s game, and probably never will be Vardy’s game. Nacho is the only man in the whole squad for that system, so has to play unless we find a new bloke who can do that

I thought Mcateer did ok, but he doesn’t look like a full blown natural winger, so bringing one in is an absolute must.

Defensively the whole set up demands quick, agile centre backs, and we don’t have any. With those two tossers in the side a long, quick ball over the top on transition will kill us time and time again. Vesty was bad, but Faes was ****ing awful and totally in the wrong place repeatedly. If Cov didn’t have two/three completely hopeless wankers up front they would have scored three or four more. If Coady is out for weeks, we need a new CB

On the positive side our resilience, and fitness, held up very well indeed. Mavididi looked very exciting, when we played the right ball to him. And Winks was excellent (apart fron giving them the ball twice in the last five minutes!). This system was tailor made for him, Ricardo, and Doyle

Soooo much to work on here, but I’m excited by what I see - as I said, if we get this right, it will be spectacular.

Might take a while….
Absolutely. We have to be patient and allow Enzo to get 5 new bodies through the door that suit the system.

From what I could see on the Italian beach, we currently have the following who suit the system:

Hermansen (I like him)
Doyle
Winks
Dewsbury-Hall
Pereira
Madividi
Nacho
Praet

Plus:
Castagne (but I assume he wants to leave)
Coady
Thomas

For me the rest are surplus

Did the keeper get a touch on that one that hit the bar. Couldn’t tell from the kop

If he did it was ****ing outstanding
Yep, right in front of us and it was a very good save, as it got deflected too.

If you were wondering what the Cov twats were singing about went they went in front, this was over one of the bridges on the M69 this morning IMG_0300.jpeg

Might take a while….
This is a pretty perfect summary, in my eyes.

I do wonder if Vardy would have had a bit more joy if Praet had started? Certainly it doesn’t work for him with Wilf playing in that position.

Happy with the result but can’t help feeling we got away with that one a little bit. Coventry will be wondering how on earth they didn’t get at least a draw.

If we continue to play with that defensive setup we’ll concede a lot, not every team will finish as poorly as Coventry. We’ll score a lot as well. It won’t be boring that’s for sure.

I still question Vestergaard on the pitch, a centre back playing left back when we have two Premier League level left backs on the bench, a right back playing central midfield half the match, a defensive midfielder playing as an attacking midfielder…but hey what do I know?

In Enzo we trust (as long as he drops Vestergaard).

Happy with the result but can’t help feeling we got away with that one a little bit. Coventry will be wondering how on earth they didn’t get at least a draw.

If we continue to play with that defensive setup we’ll concede a lot, not every team will finish as poorly as Coventry. We’ll score a lot as well. It won’t be boring that’s for sure.

I still question Vestergaard on the pitch, a centre back playing left back when we have two Premier League level left backs on the bench, a right back playing central midfield half the match, a defensive midfielder playing as an attacking midfielder…but hey what do I know?

In Enzo we trust (as long as he drops Vestergaard).
Yep. I think we were lucky to be only a goal down by the time we equalised.

The defence seems to be picked on the basis of how it works when we’ve got the ball, with little consideration about what they look like when we’re defending, but maybe that takes time. It reminds me of the game against Man City in Pep’s first season. They were a shambles and we capitalised to win easily that day (unlike Coventry today), but he stuck with it and eventually got in the players he wanted to play in that system. It’s going to take time to change things this much.

A win to start the season is always a relief. Getting away with it makes it even better in some respects.

We could easily have been battered had their forward players made smarter decisions when they broke on us. Our terrifying lack of pace at the back makes me shudder. We have to address this.

Keeper did fine. The three defenders were bombscare. Faes has absolutely no discipline and I was pleased to see Dewsbury-Hall absolutely hammer him at one point in the second half. His positioning is a disgrace. Vestergaard is just shit and I'm yet to see the point of Doyle.

Winks was exceptional. His passing was tidy but the main attribute was his ability to swerve his body and break past the first challenge and into space. He did it countless times and Cov just couldn't cope.

Ricardo was generally tidy enough. He is running less in this system which is good. He can't bomb up and down the pitch any more so this role really suits him.

Dewsbury-Hall made up for his lack of technical awareness with hard running and desire. He took his goals really well. Ndid was a bit of an embarrassment in an advanced midfield position. I don't get it.

McAteer ran a lot and worked his socks off but he's very limited. You can tell because he holds onto the ball too long and takes the easy option too often. Mavididi was very hot and cold. He grew into it but he was terrible in the first half.

Vardy doesn't suit this system and looked massively off the pace. He was a passenger and needed to be taken off. Iheanacho offered so much more.

Praet delivered a great ball for the equaliser but I fear for his fitness levels and he was clearly knackered after being on for 10 minutes.

Overall, it was what I expected to see. System came before logic with obviously better players sitting on the bench. Maresca seemed lost when we went behind and the equaliser came only after he acknowledged that the team he'd picked wasn't working.

Loads needed to improve. Lots of players need to go and several need to come in yet.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663