Post Match Leicester 2 West Ham 1 (League Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with all of that.

If last night's 11 played the other 11 from the Stoke game they would probably win. That's how good they were.

Homer said it was a game between two very poor sides but he is in a minority of one and, as he admits, must have been watching a different game to everyone else. In 50 years, I can't remember seeing too many better, more fascinating and enthralling matches involving LCFC.

The back 4 in particular looked very solid.

Schwarzer - confident and punched well when necessary. Not much chance with the deflected goal. 8
Simpson - had a very good game. 8
Benalouane - very impressive 8
Wasilewski - 7
Fuchs - Outstanding - 9
Albrighton - 7
Inler - is getting better and is adjusting well to the speed of the Prem. Now starting to make good tackles. 7
King - Captain Marvel. Looked totally knackered in extra time but still managed to score a great winner. 10
Dodoo - Could have had a hat-trick again with better luck. 7
Ulloa - Best I've seen him play. Won so many flick ons and held the ball up brilliantly . 9
Kramaric - played well but strangely had no confidence to score when one on one. 6

Substitutes
Kanté - Amazing! 9
Schlupp - looked lost. 6
Mahrez - 7

Agree with a lot of that but think that Albrighton deserves much more than an average 7. Thought he looked like a man on a mission to be in the starting 11 on Saturday - certainly put forward a very good case, as did Fuchs.

There is a very interesting interview with Christian Fuchs on player, I'm not sure if it is accessible any other way but he's very honest and his assessment of the game is also very good.
He strikes me as a very likeable character and accepted that in the early stages of the game he wasn't quite as tight ot Moses as he would have liked. If you have player it's worth a watch.

I thought we played well. Impressed with Benny, Fuchs and Ulloa. Inler has obvious quality and given time I think he will be very good.
I'll also add, that lad Kante is superb. I have seen him several times now and he looks exceptional. I really believe we have something special on our hands here.

This is going to be a very unpopular post as it is fashionable to knock Radio Leicester.

A problem with my leg has stopped me going to this match and the Villa game. In frustration I turned to Radio Leicester (through Foxes Player). I did this with some misgivings since people on the forum keep saying how poor Ian Stringer's commentary is. I found the commentary excellent.

The performance was very professional e.g. Jason Bourne and Matt Elliot covering for the fact that Ian Stringer had left the box to interview Claudio after the match. Some people find the banter irritating but it was clearly to cover times when nothing was happening (e.g. player getting treatment) and was pleasant enough. I am always impressed that commentators see so clearly - I am usually unsure whether the ball came off an attacker for a goal kick or a defender for a corner.

It would be wrong to judge players from a radio commentary but I notice the Radio Leicester judgement - Fuchs and King excellent but Kramaric and Inler underwhelming - fits what other people on the forum have said.

There is absolutely nothing to compare with being at a match and I am desperately hoping to be able to get to the Arsenal game. However, for those stuck at home I felt the broadcast did an excellent job.

Thank you Ian Stringer. Jason Bourne and Matt Elliot.
David, I am one of the (I guess) few who listen to RL every away game (I go to every home). I have no problem with RL and find Stringers enthusiasm what I need to follow the game. At least he is a voice who is passionate about my team and personally I like to hear that. I have always just accepted the commentary, I quite like Jason Bourne and the 'other fella' and taken it for what it's worth. We all have a very different view on our relationship with this team despite all being City supporters, and we have to view his/their support similarly. Sorry but the guy who pleases every Leicester fan on or in the media just doesn't exist.

Well said chaps.

Not listened to the radio for a couple of years but I always found it quite interesting an entertaining the years in the Championship.

Much better than when we had that Derby fan doing it for us but I think some people just like to moan.

It's never going to be the best otherwsie he'd be on national radio but at least he brings the passion and excitment of being at the game to wherever in the world you may be.

Its the shitty unnecessary features that do my head in, like ringing the agent of Mahrez and asking whether he's going to Barcelona or whether Arsenal want him, it's absolutely ridiculous and just drums up the whole Mahrez leaving bollocks.

Other than that I don't give a shit.

I am always impressed that commentators see so clearly

You should try listening to the commentary while you're at the match. You'll be amazed by the number of simple errors commentators make - and they rarely admit it when they get things wrong because they know most of their listeners won't know any different. Things like misidentifying players, saying something is on the left when it's on the right, not having a clue about distances etc. I'm not talking about any commentator in particular.

You should try listening to the commentary while you're at the match. You'll be amazed by the number of simple errors commentators make - and they rarely admit it when they get things wrong because they know most of their listeners won't know any different. Things like misidentifying players, saying something is on the left when it's on the right, not having a clue about distances etc. I'm not talking about any commentator in particular.
You're stringing us along Jeff

This is going to be a very unpopular post as it is fashionable to knock Radio Leicester.

Is it? Who knew?

I turned to Radio Leicester (through Foxes Player). I did this with some misgivings since people on the forum keep saying how poor Ian Stringer's commentary is. I found the commentary excellent.

I've always found him to be intensely irritating, so much so that I decided not to renew my Foxes Player subscription, after paying for it for a few years. It's to be expected that opinions will differ though.

The performance was very professional e.g. Jason Bourne and Matt Elliot covering for the fact that Ian Stringer had left the box
I don't doubt for a moment that that was indeed a particularly professional segment and I'm sure a very enjoyable listening experience

I am always impressed that commentators see so clearly

As Jeff has suggested, perhaps you should listen in while you're watching a game.

I started listening to RL commentaries whilst sitting watching the game during the League 1 season, figuring I'd need some help with unfamiliar teams, players etc ... more fool me for thinking that, though to be fair, I think that was Stringer's first season so ...

What really got my goat was the incessant self-regarding nonsensical reading of the game - the phrases "That's a booking referee, surely?" and "If that's a penalty, it's a red card, surely?" echo down through the years; also became painfully obvious that there was the belief that offside occurred when the player received the ball - "Schoolboy error"... now I'm at it.

Give me the Thai commentators on the streams any day.

I started listening to RL commentaries whilst sitting watching the game during the League 1 season, figuring I'd need some help with unfamiliar teams, players etc ... more fool me for thinking that, though to be fair, I think that was Stringer's first season so ...

What really got my goat was the incessant self-regarding nonsensical reading of the game - the phrases "That's a booking referee, surely?" and "If that's a penalty, it's a red card, surely?" echo down through the years; also became painfully obvious that there was the belief that offside occurred when the player received the ball - "Schoolboy error"... now I'm at it.

Give me the Thai commentators on the streams any day.

Yes Phuket.

I've always found Stringer to be immensely prescient - he always seems to know what is going to happen before it happens on the stream. I am amazed no one else has noticed this remarkable attribute.

What really got my goat was the incessant self-regarding nonsensical reading of the game - the phrases "That's a booking referee, surely?" and "If that's a penalty, it's a red card, surely?" echo down through the years;

That's my complaint against Stringer. Can't deny he has a certain enthusiastic and infectious style, but it's the opinionated nonsense and the over the top neutrality (especially when to the detriment of the local team he is supposed to be favouring) that irk.

Spoke to him once about this and he pointed at his BBC badge and said he had a duty to be impartial. On national radio maybe, but a local radio reporter should have a different agenda.

That's my complaint against Stringer. Can't deny he has a certain enthusiastic and infectious style, but it's the opinionated nonsense and the over the top neutrality (especially when to the detriment of the local team he is supposed to be favouring) that irk.

Spoke to him once about this and he pointed at his BBC badge and said he had a duty to be impartial. On national radio maybe, but a local radio reporter should have a different agenda.
Has that ever been a thing though? I'd rather have someone who knows what they're talking about* than someone who's just there for a free ticket to watch their team.

*I realise this still disqualifies Stringer, so don't bother pointing it out.

Has that ever been a thing though? I'd rather have someone who knows what they're talking about* than someone who's just there for a free ticket to watch their team.

*I realise this still disqualifies Stringer, so don't bother pointing it out.
For me, Stringer optimises the "red card because he's the last man" brigade who just make up/recycle rules that just aren't correct.

For me, Stringer optimises the "red card because he's the last man" brigade who just make up/recycle rules that just aren't correct.

I'd throw my hands up and signal my support for your statement, but raising one's hands is a red card offence.

Alan Young, when I saw him on crutches after the Sunderland game, wasn't very complimentary about Stringer. Think he called him a wanker and a little shit.
Still Alan himself made mistakes and was very bias for and against certain players when he was on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566