Post Match Leicester 3 Newcastle 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm astounded. I thought we were absolutely brilliant. With a little more luck and care we could have won 6-0 via Albrighton, Vardy and Ulloa chances.
The football we played in the last 10 minutes, albeit against 10 men, was fantastic to watch. Vardy and Ulloa weren't the only ones who played well. What about Huth, Was and Schlupp?

What is very true is the fact that you can only beat what is in front of you. We played a team that lacked any kind of discipline so their marking, organisation, running, positioning were all atrocious. Frankly, Newcastle currently make opponents look good. We are playing with much more confidence, hence the touches and movement suddenly looks much better. But we were certainly not 'absolutely brilliant'.

In this run of six matches, we've played very well for the entire game against Swansea. We played well second half at West Brom and first half against Chelsea. Aside from that, we've been not much different from how we were before this run. We're scoring at the right times now and the opposition are not punishing us as effectively as they were. In short, our luck has turned. The Burnley game was a perfect example of this.

At the start of the season, we had a way of playing that caused opponents problems. After the Man Utd match, it was evident that opposition had sussed us out, countered our strengths and exploited our weaknesses. It has subsequently taken us six months to find an alternative approach that is effective. Much about our eventual fate this season will depend upon how well our final three opponents prepare against us. The way we play now can be countered quite simply and it was evident over the weekend analysis of our match that people can now see exactly what we're doing and how we're doing it. It's going to be a close run thing.

It has subsequently taken us six months to find an alternative approach that is effective.

The difference is (IMHO) that we are now 'going for it' knowing that unless we get results we will be relegated back to whence we came. In previous matches we were too cautious and tried to keep clean sheets (unsuccessfully) whilst not being concerned enough with scoring goals. Maybe it was because Nigel wanted to avoid any thrashings (which he did) but thankfully necessity meant that we changed our approach and have given ourselves a chance of survival as a result.

What is very true is the fact that you can only beat what is in front of you. We played a team that lacked any kind of discipline so their marking, organisation, running, positioning were all atrocious. Frankly, Newcastle currently make opponents look good. We are playing with much more confidence, hence the touches and movement suddenly looks much better. But we were certainly not 'absolutely brilliant'.

In this run of six matches, we've played very well for the entire game against Swansea. We played well second half at West Brom and first half against Chelsea. Aside from that, we've been not much different from how we were before this run. We're scoring at the right times now and the opposition are not punishing us as effectively as they were. In short, our luck has turned. The Burnley game was a perfect example of this.

At the start of the season, we had a way of playing that caused opponents problems. After the Man Utd match, it was evident that opposition had sussed us out, countered our strengths and exploited our weaknesses. It has subsequently taken us six months to find an alternative approach that is effective. Much about our eventual fate this season will depend upon how well our final three opponents prepare against us. The way we play now can be countered quite simply and it was evident over the weekend analysis of our match that people can now see exactly what we're doing and how we're doing it. It's going to be a close run thing.

I'm sorry BN but that is too negative. We have played pretty well for most of the season with the odd exception. very few teams play well for entire games no matter who the opposition is. Chelsea last week didn't play well for the entire game - probably only about a third of the game, any team that can maintain those heights for an entire season will probably win the league.

We played well against newcastle, probably about as well as we needed to in fact.

To suggest that our 15 point haul from six games is down to luck is rediculas.

To then suggest that we may lose our last three games as we have been sussed out second time round is equally rediculas. Pace and energy, high tempo, pace down the wings and closing down in packs will cause the vast majority of teams in this division a problem.

Although I don't expect us to win our last three games I am sure that if we maintain the same standards as we have over the past six games we will be okay.

Last edited:
The four personality types:

1. We are playing well with vigour
2. The opposition make us look good
3. Peason out, no in...err, out. No, definitely in.
4. Hey! Where's my half and half scarf?

Thank you Gary Larson.

We could have quite realistically won that game 6.0. Ulloa puts his header 5 cm either side, Albrighton places it exactly how he did on Wednesday and Vardy doesn't miss-time his jump for that easy chance at the end. I don't think there would be any negatives then????

I'm in the camp that we were excellent. You have to beat what's in front of you and we did that comfortably.

That's a match we would have lost 1.0 only a few months ago when confidence was so low.

The whole group, including the crowd are so UP at the moment. What a turnaround!

The atmosphere at the game was electric. I haven't experienced that since last year. Wonderful,wonderful crowd. This was the first game in ages where I wasn't physically shaking!
even if we only get a couple of draws and a win from our final games, with everyone else's run-ins, I have us on 15th place come the end.

Last edited:
I think I was talking to Matt_B on the steps on the way out.

The atmosphere at the game was electric. I haven't experienced that since last year.

In fairness it has been like that for the past few home games. I blame the clappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566