Leicester Riders Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

The Riders are back! He's my explanation for this thread on the basketball team of Leicester.

Back in the Nineties, I commonly used to go down Granby Halls to see the Riders play after the footie, often a 7pm start, the club possibly despite having the biggest purpose-built Basketball arena in the Country suffered from finicial difficulties [as to was going to become common in British Basketaball]. Coaches and fine players came and went. The Donewald and Boone couple of seasons being enteraining and it all ended in a lost at Sheffield Arena in the National Cup Final, [I was gone go but BBC promised the full match live on Grandstand, it was edited to which I hate BBC today] and the fierce battles with rivals Derby Storm.

We then had the Mimms and Oldboys era, when flamboyant Texan Billy Mimms arrived began to build a super squad of players who have just missed out on the bigtime in a fairy-tale season, we became Champions the first ever time someone outside the Top 4 has done it. With the success came a strain on money.

Granby Halls was sold by the Leicester City Council and Riders trying to find a permament home and being promised a Riders Dome on the Saffron Lane Stadium Site nothing happened. Riders moved to Loughborough University for three season with their superb facterlies, however three years of re-building and not many victories.

Last year the Riders eventually moved back to the city with agreeing a 11th hour deal with De Montford University using their John Sandford Sports Centre. Last season was another re-building and we just missed out on the playoffs.

However this season with the club re=launching itself with new colours of Red, White and Green from the Previous Blue, Orange and White. The team has elevated itself to third in table with their current roster of experienced and young players.

This weekend seen em hammer local rivals Birmingham Bullets at home, 96-74 and completing the weekend double by beating Milton Keynes Lions away in the Trophy [equilvent of the League Cup], 69-61 and in doing so a place in semi-finals is rewarded.

So expect all Riders info here.

drummindefender said:
good to see them back on the up :038:

Wasnt the golden era at the same time as the great years under MON and the time when the egg chasers were dominant and Leicester was described as the most successful sporting city ? Oh what great days *sigh*

drummindefender said:
i think we won the worhty tigers won the european cup and they won the league and cup double all in the same year
didnt the cricket win something to?

City won league cup in 2000 beating Tranmere. Lost in 99 to Spurs

pds said:
City won league cup in 2000 beating Tranmere. Lost in 99 to Spurs

Thats it, I knew one of the years wasn't actually the 'year' Leicester claim the SPorting City title.

1999 County Cricket Championship
2000 City League Cup Winners
2000 Tigers Cup And Double
2000 Riders Play-offs Champions

Melton Fox said:
Hence the statue in the town centre
Doesnt have a Basketball player though does it?

fcukcov said:
Doesnt have a Basketball player though does it?

The Basketball team werent counted simply because the design didnt included it, plus the City Council didnt keep up their promise of a 'Riders Dome' hence a bad relationship between the two and Riders temporarly moving to Loughborough.

Riders lost in Edinburgh on Thursday night, here's a small report.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/basketball/4554250.stm

Current League Tables before Xmas break..1st number is No. of G played and 2nd is Points total.
1 Scottish Rocks 16 28
2 Newcastle Eagles 14 22
3 Leicester Riders 16 22
4 Sheffield Sharks 14 18
5 London Towers 14 16
6= Brighton Bears 15 12
6= Milton Keynes Lions 15 12
8 Guildford Heat 12 10
9 Chester Jets 13 8
10 Birmingham Bullets 13 6
11 Plymouth Raiders 16 4

I've been to a couple of games this year so far and have enjoyed myself. I hope to make it to a few more in the new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669