Leicester Speedway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

Press Conference Thursday at BBC Building where there is currently an exhibition. A consortium of business have plans on a sporting-stadium project which includes Speedway.

Anyone else heard ought more?

I think they were always at Blackbird Road. Melton Road was, I think, before their time

I think they were always at Blackbird Road. Melton Road was, I think, before their time

The very early days of the Hunters rode at Melton Road in 1930, then reformed at Blackbird Rd again as the Hunters till the earlier sixties before relaunching as the Lions a few years after.

EDIT: In fact it maybe the case that Speedway was at Melton Road but a formation of a team wasn't until 1930 in which case I am unsure whether that's Melton Rd or Blackbird Rd.

Last edited:
Ah, didn't realise that the Hunters was also the name of the pre-war lot. I only knew of the ones that started around 1950.

I'm too young to remember such things.

Good news for supporters and the city alike.

My mum says she can remember going to watch it down blackbird road, she used to love the smell. I might take her if this gets up and running.

Ah, the smell! Solvent abuse on the cheap.

We lived just over a mile from the stadium but you could hear it, and sometimes even smell the exhaust fumes on a warm still evening.

When I was a little older my sister & her boyfriend sometimes used to take me. It was magical, until I got home & my mother went into one because I was covered in cinders. Not as bad as the stock cars though - even right at the back of the terraces you would end up absolutely filthy.

Ah, the smell! Solvent abuse on the cheap.

We lived just over a mile from the stadium but you could hear it, and sometimes even smell the exhaust fumes on a warm still evening.

When I was a little older my sister & her boyfriend sometimes used to take me. It was magical, until I got home & my mother went into one because I was covered in cinders. Not as bad as the stock cars though - even right at the back of the terraces you would end up absolutely filthy.

They have silencers now but still make a noise.

'Tis true this anyways. Jonathan Chapman who runs a highly successful operation at King's Lynn is leading the charge. It's a stadium which will basically have Speedway in it and that won't be the only thing. Planning permission will go in roughly third of the way through-2008 with hopefully the opening being March 2009.

The idea is basically to provide somewhere which will have a whole lot more credit to the city than another set of flats or houses. Roughly it will be 3 hours a week you hear the engines. In a 168 hour week, it's nothing. The noise is a lot less and environmental issues can be easily countacted against because Speedway's uses the most 'green' petrol-based fuel going.

They are plans to have a travelling challenge team which will nomadically appear at tracks in the midlands. Starting Wednesday 19th September at King's Lynn.

I have my writing pad at the ready - Mercury and councillors shall be bombarded. I went Brumville Speedway at Perry Barr yesterday - good track, good arena and surrounded by city.

And so it begins!!!

Quick round-up!

Listend to the interview on Radio Leicester, where it was announced that Speedway WILL return to Leicester in 2009.

A challange match has been set up agianst the Kings Lynn Stars to be held at the Norfolk Arena on Wednesday 19th September at 7.30pm

The Lions 1-7 will be

1. David Howe © - Local lad, rode at British GP
2. Sergey Darkin - Russian, okish
3. Chris Holder - Young Aussie, Great to Watch, Future World Champ
4. Lewis Bridger - 17 year old British sensation - scores pts in top division
5. Kevin Doolan - Aussie, good points scorer
6. Ben Holder - Chris's older brother, unknown
7. Adam Allott - Coming back from a long lay-off!

I think it's interesting that some riders drive (?) for clubs in three different countries! Sweden, Poland, England for example. Something to apply for football?

They have silencers now but still make a noise.

'Tis true this anyways. Jonathan Chapman who runs a highly successful operation at King's Lynn is leading the charge. It's a stadium which will basically have Speedway in it and that won't be the only thing. Planning permission will go in roughly third of the way through-2008 with hopefully the opening being March 2009.

The idea is basically to provide somewhere which will have a whole lot more credit to the city than another set of flats or houses. Roughly it will be 3 hours a week you hear the engines. In a 168 hour week, it's nothing. The noise is a lot less and environmental issues can be easily countacted against because Speedway's uses the most 'green' petrol-based fuel going.

They are plans to have a travelling challenge team which will nomadically appear at tracks in the midlands. Starting Wednesday 19th September at King's Lynn.

I have my writing pad at the ready - Mercury and councillors shall be bombarded. I went Brumville Speedway at Perry Barr yesterday - good track, good arena and surrounded by city.

Let's hope that they can in time bring back the Stock Cars as well.

I think it's interesting that some riders drive (?) for clubs in three different countries! Sweden, Poland, England for example. Something to apply for football?

Aye even fitting in Denmark and Russia sometimes. Quite incredible but the authorities want riders to commit to two leagues.

How is Speedway's press coverage in Sweden? I bet it's gone downhill since Rickardsson retired.

Last edited:
Aye even fitting in Denmark and Russia sometimes. Quite incredible but the authorities want riders to commit to two leagues.

How is Speedway's press coverage in Sweden? I bet it's gone downhill since Rickardsson retired.

It has, Rickardsson was a big star here, as least as big you can get when your into speedway. Not a big sport and I don't like it that much, but usually the GP competitions are aired by the national television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669