Post Match Manchester United 4 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles Away

If we substitute Norwich and Villa for the corresponding fixtures last season for the Hull and Burnley games, then we we have 7 points this season and 8 points last season.

So in terms of results it is not bad on a like for like comparison.

Obviously what is worrying is how fragile our defence appears this season.

I do not accept that Ziegel in for Schmeichel at the moment is a significant effect, but the loss of the protection from Kante, and maybe Huth and Morgan being robbed of being allowed to pull shirts, hair and generally stop forwards from jumping at corners is having a big effect.

I am sure Claudio will work out a plan to adapt our play. I think the spirit is still there. Huth and the whole team laughed when he skyed his close in shot yesterday. So I think they still care and want to win.

Exactly.

fitz

I was there, I was embarrassed by our half arsed players.

It seems to me that certain players have decided that last season was the pinacle and players that had huge hearts have had them removed.

We were shambolic at the back, my Sunday league team would have torn strips out of each other for the absolute schoolboy defending on show by some of our experienced players.

Vardy doesn't seem interested in making truly decent runs and Ranieri hopefully dropped him at half time rather than saved him, attitude has changed in a bad way.

Ranieri gets the lowest score of the day for yet again going away against a top team and playing 2 in the middle, ****ing absurdity Claudio.

I don't care if we get beat by these sides, but I have a major issue with being utterly ****ing embarrassed every other week.

Agree mostly but Claudio could have put 6 in midfield yesterday and we'd still have.4 or 5 not putting a proper shift in. I'm more disappointed that Mahrez and Vardy were taken off for a rest ahead of Tuesday, Gray worked his bollocks off but either him or Albrighton (also put a shift in) won't get a start on Tuesday. I don't think we should reward half arsed performances with a rest ahead of a game they'll start and up efforts for.

Feriol

Agree mostly but Claudio could have put 6 in midfield yesterday and we'd still have.4 or 5 not putting a proper shift in. I'm more disappointed that Mahrez and Vardy were taken off for a rest ahead of Tuesday, Gray worked his bollocks off but either him or Albrighton (also put a shift in) won't get a start on Tuesday. I don't think we should reward half arsed performances with a rest ahead of a game they'll start and up efforts for.
I would like to think they were taken off because their performance was unacceptable. I do wonder if Ranieri is too nice to give players a kick up the backside, but hopefully this is a sign that he is prepared to do it.

SwedeFox

I would like to think they were taken off because their performance was unacceptable. I do wonder if Ranieri is too nice to give players a kick up the backside, but hopefully this is a sign that he is prepared to do it.
His explanation to the press was that he wanted to save them for Tuesday

Feriol

His explanation to the press was that he wanted to save them for Tuesday
That is what I would expect him to say to the press. As I said I think he might be too nice, but I can hope.

FIF

There were only a couple of acceptable performances, so I'd suggest that he subbed them so that they could win the game for us against Porto. If we'd been subbing because of bad play, I'd have expected Hernandez to be on.

camberwell fox

Luckily our home results are very solid, so long as we maintain this and switch to a more defensive shaped system against the top teams away we will be more than fine.

We absolutely must take our opportunity in the Champions League to progress as far as we can.

Southampton at home is our next league fixture followed by Chelsea away. Three points from those will do just fine. 10 points from 8 games maintained over the course of the season would give us ~50 points and halfway up the table.

The reality is we will get closer to 60 points and that would leave us eigth.

Chill people we are missing our new midfielder.

camberwell fox

That is what I would expect him to say to the press. As I said I think he might be too nice, but I can hope.
He MUST publicly support his players and tell them privately what his real thoughts are.

Attack wise we were impotent and that certainly wasn't entirely down to the two he subbed off.

As we weren't going to score 4 or 5 in the second half there is little point in continuing with them and risking an injury.

He took them off and switched the system which to an extent worked.

Can't see the issue here?

David Gwilliam

He MUST publicly support his players and tell them privately what his real thoughts are.

?

Ranieri is all smiles before a match starts and after it finishes. Once the match is under way he is all business and lets players know when he is unhappy. Against Burnley he spent a break in play to make a strong point to Riyad. My impression is that he was telling Riyad he needed to communicate more with other players.

It is absolutely right that he should publicly support his players where possible. Usually the people who have got things wrong know it. You can be sure that experienced players such as Wes Morgan and Robert Huth know exactly what they did wrong. Amartey may not know and the emphasis needs to be on improvement - "Daniel next time you are defending a corner I want you to _____"

I don't want an angry Ranieri; angry people make mistakes.

Mawsley

I believe that's the first time you've referred to Ranieri without the honorific, David.

FIF

Ranieri is all smiles before a match starts and after it finishes. Once the match is under way he is all business and lets players know when he is unhappy. Against Burnley he spent a break in play to make a strong point to Riyad. My impression is that he was telling Riyad he needed to communicate more with other players.

It is absolutely right that he should publicly support his players where possible. Usually the people who have got things wrong know it. You can be sure that experienced players such as Wes Morgan and Robert Huth know exactly what they did wrong. Amartey may not know and the emphasis needs to be on improvement - "Daniel next time you are defending a corner I want you to _____"

I don't want an angry Ranieri; angry people make mistakes.

We've had angry, I like CR, he's good for our image.

Volpone

One point I've not seen anyone mention.

Today's defeat was essentially about us failing to defend corners.

The ref was Mike Dean who infamously will give a penalty for any contact in the area.

Our defenders were exceptional at defending corners last season largely because they fouled and man-handled opponents all over the place.

Could be the defence were determined not to foul in the area and the result is that they actually are pretty awful at defending without fouling.

Danny Simpson confirms it. Leicester struggling to defend set-pieces due to grappling crackdown, says Danny Simpson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-to-defend-set-pieces-due-to-grappling-crack/

Graz

It does sound a bit shit and worrying doesn't it? We're not allowed to foul at corners, so we have no idea how to stop them

homer

A pitiful and unacceptable excuse for not being in the right position, completely failing to track an opposition player, failing to get more than two millimetres off the ground, or actually concentrating on defending a corner correctly

The Old Fox

It's bad enough, if true but, pretty silly to admit it! Presumably, players, who are about to face us, will have been made aware of this. Bit of an own goal: mind you, if we can't defend any better than that, perhaps an own goal isn't much worse.

TornadoShaunUK

It's not just the corners anyway. Liverpool pasted us and they did it by 'slipping round the back' more often than not. Just generally the defending has not been good enough against the top sides and the only thing that has really changed from last year is that we now have Amartey instead of Kante protecting the back four. Unless of course the attitude has changed and we feel we don't need to have to work hard any more....

Another thing that annoyed me was that from Ranieri's post game interview you get the impression that there were defenders moaning because Man Us players were taller. What sort of excuse is that? Are they basically saying the only way we can defend corners better is to go out and buy some taller players... thus leaving them to fill the bench spaces?

FIF

So we are screwed then, basically because we can't cheat at defending we will ship goals from corners a lot more.

Nice

Or we'll adapt.

FIF

At least this should have us buying a couple of new CBs in the january window which we would've needed by the season's end anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669