Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
correct me if im wrong, but it says that the carling stand was opened in 1994 and then demolished when we moved to the bowl making it one of the most expensive stands to be bulldozed. didnt we sell it to rotherham?? or some other club up there? im sure i remember reading about it.:102:

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong, but it says that the carling stand was opened in 1994 and then demolished when we moved to the bowl making it one of the most expensive stands to be bulldozed. didnt we sell it to rotherham?? or some other club up there? im sure i remember reading about it.:102:

I don't think it has gone to Rotherham.

There were plans to do that, but it didn't happen, I don't think they could afford it.

God I miss that Filbo.

The Walkers is like a noose round our neck. I think alot of our on field problems and off field problems were caused by the bloody Walkers. To be honest bar the fact that its our ground I dont really like the place!

Sorry if that seems a stupid post but if Pete is who I think he may be havent seen him for years,,and we go back a long way through city.If its him he will understand if not what the fck ive always been an idiot

It surprises me that the ground record was set in 1928 at in excess of 47,200 and yet by the early 1960s and without any significant changes in the stadium and the capacity was limited to 42,000 - it felt that we were packed in like the proverbial sardines. I do remember one particular occasion which i think was an FA Cup replay against Birmingham City when the gate at the Filbert Street Stand/ Popular Side intersection was damaged that there were maybe 44,000 on the ground taking account of those who got in without paying.

The ground did have a tremendous atmosphere particularly in the days when it was all standing (except for the upper Double Decker and the old main stand.). I think there was a bigger roar then when City took the field than when they (rarely) score a goal at the Walkers.

It surprises me that the ground record was set in 1928 at in excess of 47,200 and yet by the early 1960s and without any significant changes in the stadium and the capacity was limited to 42,000 - it felt that we were packed in like the proverbial sardines. I do remember one particular occasion which i think was an FA Cup replay against Birmingham City when the gate at the Filbert Street Stand/ Popular Side intersection was damaged that there were maybe 44,000 on the ground taking account of those who got in without paying.

The ground did have a tremendous atmosphere particularly in the days when it was all standing (except for the upper Double Decker and the old main stand.). I think there was a bigger roar then when City took the field than when they (rarely) score a goal at the Walkers.

biggest crowd I was in there was against Arsenal in a cup replay. A cold tuesday night and there was touching 40,000 there. If I am right we drew it 1-1 and the Birch scored for us, another replay the following week and they won 1-0

I was there in 1954 When we played Arsenal and drew 3-3
and there was 42.500 .......mind you had to queue for about an hour to get into the Kop and could'nt move a bloody inch when inside I knew what sardines felt like after that match, a week later got a nice later from Her Majesty's Government telling me to join her army.

Didn't Lancaster City have the blocks of seating with the LCFC on?

And didn't Bury have the scoreboard?

I miss Filbo, even though it was falling to bits(and about to fall down according the the blokes we spoke to who were taking the South Stand down!)

I don't think the WS will ever recapture anything like the atmosphere, passion or excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669