Speculation Mills To Celtic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're interested, you should read Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. It's surprising how much Scotland shaped world football back in the early days of the game. A very interesting read, I think a few on here have read it and would reccommend it also?

Indeed, an excellent book. A few people on here could learn something by reading it (such as learning to read).

Indeed, an excellent book. A few people on here could learn something by reading it (such as learning to read).

I loved it. Doug Ellis claiming to invent the bicycle kick, despite the first recorded instance of it being about 10 years before he was born gave me a real laugh.

Fair enough - and I think I was being a bit harsh.

I had in mind that years ago English clubs - and Leicester City particularly - regarded scouting at Scotland at all levels (junior as well as league level) - as a key part of their recruitment policy. In fact Leicester had a reputation at one point of playing "Scottish type" football although I never quite understood that. The decline of Scottish football at both international and club level has been severe.

Way back City had a lot of scottish players and were nicknamed Leicester Scottish because of this Not that they played Scottish type football whatever that is.

'Scottish-type Football' is the passing game. In the early internationals, England played a much more individualistic kick'n'rush kind of game (often with a 1-2-7 formation). Scotland countered this by pairing players, who would then focus on passing between each other.

Extenuating circumstances noted, what was the "Scottish type football" Levein was trying for then?

Spot on (about Leicester Thistle).

We had a large Scottish contingent in our fan base because of it (and all the Scots that moved to Corby to work in the steel mill)

Last edited:
Way back City had a lot of scottish players and were nicknamed Leicester Scottish because of this Not that they played Scottish type football whatever that is.

Not quite the case as I recall. I seem to remember that when Gillies was manager that people talked about Leicester playing "Scottish football" with the implication that it was a thoughtful, passing game.

If Mills is interesting Bolton as seems evident, we should inquire about Mark Davies + cash for the transfer. Davies is the ball playing midfielder with pace that we are looking for. James and Drinkwater can play behind him - particularly Drinkwater who gets more stuck in.

If someone can sort his head out I reckon they will have a decent centre half.

.... and the good news is that there is always someone in football with a big enough ego to believe they can sort out a players head. :icon_bigg

If Mills is interesting Bolton as seems evident, we should inquire about Mark Davies + cash for the transfer. Davies is the ball playing midfielder with pace that we are looking for. James and Drinkwater can play behind him - particularly Drinkwater who gets more stuck in.

Davies was one of Bolton's best players towards the end of last season. I can't see Bolton letting him go easily unless it is to a Prem side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669