MM plots back-to-back promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonfox

Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson is to meet chairman Milan Mandaric to plot the club's assault on the Championship next season - with a Premier League place the new target.
mandaric-fr0809.jpg

The Blue Army are preparing to welcome their heroes home for Friday night's clash with Scunthorpe at the Walkers Stadium when they will be officially crowned as League One champions.

However, the transfer activity will now move up a gear as Pearson identifies his summer targets - and he will receive the full support of the club's millionaire chairman.

Mandaric said: “We will have a proper budget and we will start by looking at what we have and what we need.

“We will sit down and do the proper planning. Nigel will get the support as far as that goes. Whatever was success for this season has got to be success for next season as well.

“I always say it is not the one who goes down who is the loser, it is the one who doesn't go back up, and we got up.

“I looked around, asked everyone for their support and that is what we have done. Now, we have built the club and the team on a winning attitude and I think we will do well.”

Mandaric's notion of restoring City to the top flight in three years looked dead and buried after last season's relegation from the Championship.

However, back-to-back promotion is now possible, and it is typical of Mandaric that he does not want it to stop now.

The club are hoping to sign on-loan Liverpool defender Jack Hobbs on a permanent basis and the Anfield club have also indicated that City can steal a march on their rivals by offering a contract to Swedish youth international Astrit Ajdarevic.

Wayne Brown is also looking to tie up his exit from Hull City, while Pearson can welcome back Bulgarian international Aleksandar Tunchev and club skipper Stephen Clemence after injury absences.

Pearson knows the standard will be higher next season, but said: “If you don't want the pressure like this, then you should not be in the game. I welcome it.”

City have announced their plans to “really go to town” on Friday and club officials are confident they will sell out all home areas of the ground.

A club spokesman said: “We are well past the 25,000 mark and there have been queues at the ticket office.”

Before the game, there will be a host of activities outside the Walkers Stadium, with a big screen set up by the Megastore showing match highlights and photographs of City fans.

Club ambassador Alan Birchenall will also be staging his annual charity run before kick-off in aid of the Special Olympics, the NHS Trust and the Everyman testicular cancer charities.

After the game, City will receive the League One trophy, but officials say the hand-over will not go ahead if there is a pitch invasion at the final whistle.

“We are stressing to our supporters that they must not encroach on to the pitch as it will jeopardise the planned celebrations.”

A stage will be assembled and the Post Horn Gallop will accompany the players' return to the pitch to receive their medals before they go on a lap of honour.

City will also unveil their new home kit at the Scunthorpe game. The strip will have a two-year lifespan and will be the first since 1982-83 to not feature a sponsor's logo.

I have posted this as their is some good info ,if we can do back to back promotions i for one would love it .

plus its still in MM 3 yr plan :icon_lol::icon_wink

and it backs up what i have posted :icon_wink
http://www.talkingballs.co.uk/showpost.php?p=815903&postcount=427

That's not news at all.

That is the minimum I would expect from Milan and his club. I want to see them go full out for it next season as fecking Champions again!

Certainly nice to see some high ambition, i even get the feeling this is very possible atm, though its probably the delirium of this season making me overly optimistic. Still, im hopeful

Some big games next year....Newcastle, Forest, Derby to name three.

Cov most importantly ;)

Plymouth and Doncaster also mouth watering prospects.

I'm glad Mandaric has ambitions for us, but I can't see anything more than a play off spot for us next season. And I hope we manage to play well enough to finish in that position rather than the crap we have been watching in previous championship seasons.

Do some of you think this a realistic prospect or wildly optimistic?

It's right that Mandaric should set such a target. Delivering it is another matter entirely.

I doubt if anyone including NP knows how the current strength would stack up in the second tier still less precisely which players he will recruit.
So this is largely the usual pre-pre-pre season silly talk which is seen as a marketing must.
On the positive side, a winning mentality from this season's success is a definite plus - on the otherhand our recent experiences of the second tier have been painful. I wouldn't think that NP will be going anywhere in the immediate future so at least we should have a bright and sensible manager.

I'm glad Mandaric has ambitions for us, but I can't see anything more than a play off spot for us next season. And I hope we manage to play well enough to finish in that position rather than the crap we have been watching in previous championship seasons.

Do some of you think this a realistic prospect or wildly optimistic?

I think that we would probably be a mid-table team even now as I am certain we have better players than when we went down, however it depends on who we sign/sell in the summer. To get another striker or 2 to rival/backup Howard & Fryatt won't come cheap if we want to push on as well as the keeping situation and a ball winning midfielder. Even if clemence is back next season that still leaves us short in the hard man midfield area.

We also need a shouter and a bawler in the squad who will not accept defeat and is not afraid to dish out a bollocking to a fellow team mate. Hopefully Brown can do that though it remains to be seen whetether he would be a regular if Hobbs joins and the Tunch comes back. IMO that was one of the reasons we went down last season. We were too soft and accepted defeat too easily. They will certainly be times where it will be much harder going next season than this so we will then know more about the character of the squad.

i still think our defence is better now than it was last year, when it was the 2nd best defense in the division though, which is where a lot of my optimism comes from. I agree it might be a bit overly optimistic but its nice to be setting ambitious targets instead of just wanting to survive in your first season, as i dont think the gap between the Champs and League One is actually that big, certainly not compared to the PL/Champs gap

At the moment talk of getting promoted next season is ridiculous-it can't be judged till we see the kind of squad we have next year. We could just as easily be the next Forest as the next Swansea.

At the moment talk of getting promoted next season is ridiculous-it can't be judged till we see the kind of squad we have next year. We could just as easily be the next Forest as the next Swansea.

Disagree. Its psychological more than anything, Forest were just relieved to get out of that division after struggling in it, we are on a high and with a winning mentality after walking it. Plus, theres just the belief and the togetherness in the side that comes through that was never there since the Adams era, probably even the ONeill era. And besides even when we went down last season we still got to 52pts a score thatd easily avoid relegation in most seasons and had the 2nd best defence in the division and i consider our defence now better than it was then

Definitely think we should at least be in a kind of Doncaster sort of position, but i dont think a Swansea or even Bristol City type position is beyond us.

Maybe im overstating it though and like i said, im still on a high from this season, but hey, whats wrong with a bit of optimism and ambition anyways? Certainly better than to just aim to stay in the division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570