mouldy walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxCovert

Anyone there with building or surveying knowledge. Our house has developed a black mould which appears on inside of north or east facing walls. We have been told this is due to a build up of condensation. We have been told by a damp company that it is not damp and they tried to sell us some contraption that goes in the loft and reduces the condensation. This is however an expensive solution which i have been told can be noisy and uses a lot of electric. Any views or suggestions on this would be most welcome.

No, below window above skirting board in a small pantry in kitchen and also in a small bedroom above skirting board on a wall that does not have a window.
OK, I have some black mould in the bathroom just above the window. It is North facing but is due to a small hole in the material that is waterproofing the bit above the window. Mine is definitely damp related.

I'm colour blind, so it might not be entirely black, but it certainly looks like it.

try moving south and having central heating and an inside toilet you dirty northern monkey

I had this problem near all the windows in my house when I moved in, however it was worst in a bedroom that was on the corner of the house.

I bought some condensation absorbent crystals and a small rectangular container especially for them from Wilko's - only a few pounds, I think.

It did help over the Winter - the container was full of water by Springtime. I would also leave the windows slightly open all the time (unless I was going out for any length of time), and opened them as wide as possible for as long as I could bear.

I was told it was because my house was too well insulated and there was nowhere for the moisture to escape.

Something similar to this:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/moisture-...aning-protecting-de-humidifiers/product/21538

Last edited:
This is not an uncommon problem. There are 2 things that will help;

1) You can hang a blown vinyl (Fresco) type paper to the walls. This should help insulate the walls and keep them warmer so as not to attract the condensation in the first place.

2) Paint the room with an anti fungicidal paint such as this, http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/info/glidden_trade_anti-mould_vinyl_matt.jsp . You might have to order it but it should be available from a good decorators merchant.

Last edited:
I had this problem near all the windows in my house when I moved in, however it was worst in a bedroom that was on the corner of the house.

I bought some condensation absorbent crystals and a small rectangular container especially for them from Wilko's - only a few pounds, I think.

It did help over the Winter - the container was full of water by Springtime. I would also leave the windows slightly open all the time (unless I was going out for any length of time), and opened them as wide as possible for as long as I could bear.

I was told it was because my house was too well insulated and there was nowhere for the moisture to escape.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHMI_en-USGB292GB303&sa=N

This sounds very similar to our situation.Thanks MG.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/moisture-...aning-protecting-de-humidifiers/product/21538

This sounds very similar to our situation.Thanks MG.

We had the same problem as well and the crystals worked, but it is worth noting that the reason ours was so bad in the bedroon built in wardrobe is because when the spanner who lived here before us put in the wardrobe he pulled all the insulation back in the loft over that corner, then never put it back. As soon as I rolled it back it went away there.

No, below window above skirting board in a small pantry in kitchen and also in a small bedroom above skirting board on a wall that does not have a window.

If this is in a pre-war house, the mould in the pantry will be condensation - it should be the coldest place in the house and the window would originally have been a grille, letting air circulate. Lasting solutions will mean increasing the heat and/or ventilation there.

Also, in the bedroom, check outside to see if there's a reason for condensation appearing there. It could be that there's an airbrick that's just been plastered over.

Also, in the bedroom, check outside to see if there's a reason for condensation appearing there. It could be that there's an airbrick that's just been plastered over.

I had the same problem in my front bedroom, the wall under the window would be incredibly damp. Found out that it was because there was no airbrick in that room as originally it had a fireplace which had been blocked up. Had some special plasterboard put up under the windows and re-skimmed and havent had any problems since. Always make sure your air vents are unobstructed or ventilate the room daily.

i said lol cos i'm going through the same thing in my porch,wasnt laughing at your situation sorry to sound rude.

Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone was at all confused by your post.
As soon as I read your erudite contribution I thought to myself "I'll bet footyguts is going through the same thing. Most likely his porch, judging by the three letters he's used."
Obvious really.

Thanks again for all your contributions. We did block up some air bricks to keep out a cold northrly draught! Obviously a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669