MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willlow

I have downloaded the new MSN but my computer wont let me log onto it keeps coming saying that my firewall is blocking messenger from connecting the service.

Anybody give me a quick guide on how to lower my firewall to let messenger connect but not anything else! :icon_redf :icon_redf

go to control panel, in clasic view click firewall, then the exceptions tab, make sure windows messenger is ticked. if there is no option for messenger, you will have to add the program as an exception

beg your pardon. windows messener is a windows service, and is not the program you mean. should be obvious (i don't have it installed so cant check how it is displayed

if you have to add it, just choose it from the list of programs given when you click 'add program' on the exception tab

Last edited:
go to control panel, in clasic view click firewall, then the exceptions tab, make sure windows messenger is ticked. if there is no option for messenger, you will have to add the program as an exception

beg your pardon. windows messener is a windows service, and is not the program you mean. should be obvious (i don't have it installed so cant check how it is displayed

if you have to add it, just choose it from the list of programs given when you click 'add program' on the exception tab

There is no firewall icon in the control panel :icon_redf

There is no firewall icon in the control panel :icon_redf

are you using windows XP?

how do you connect to the internet, through a network, or is the connection device conected to your computer?

Last edited:
I have broadband, no network the connection goes straight into the back of my computer and I am using XP

Last edited:
I have the control panel open but there is no firewall icon

I have the control panel open but there is no firewall icon

what about 'security center' ?
if not then you either have a third party firewall or there is a connection problem with msn software, which i will try to help you with.

i remember this happening to me before willlow-i don't think it was anything to do with a firewall just the system playingup and coming up with an excuse, as i didn't touch any settings and it let me log on later on-try turning off ur pc and turning back on again-might work!

Its been like this for a while, i have unistalled it and downloaded it again but it still didnt work.

I can gain access to msn via the messenger button on the internet explorer toolbar, but this version is several years out of date! :icon_redf

Control Panel
Security Center
Windows Firewall
Exceptions Tab
Ensure that MSN Messenger is ticked
(If MSN Messenger isn't in the list, add it - and ensure that it is ticked)
Click OK
Close the Security Center.

Control Panel
Security Center
Windows Firewall
Exceptions Tab
Click OK
Close the Security Center.

Dont have Security Center in my control panel :icon_redf

Start
Connect to
Show all connections
Right-click on your connection
Properties
Advanced Tab
SettingsExceptions Tab
OK
OK

Start
Connect to
Show all connections
Right-click on your connection
Properties
Advanced Tab
SettingsExceptions Tab
OK
OK

i will try this when i get home! :038:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675